Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig loading

Default 357 Sig loading

I'm just starting out with loading 357 Sig. I have a few different manuals. The 357 Sig bullet has a .355 diameter (the same as the 9mm). The manuals I have only give specs for theirs , or very few bullets. If I want to load 124 gr. 0.355 bullet, my manuals gives me specs for Hornady/Sierra bullets. If I wanted to use Remington exact same size grain and diameter bullets, do I have to get Remmington specs or can I use Hornady??

It's a little confusing

Thanks in advance
    Guns are like condoms. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Default Re: 357 Sig loading

Quote Originally Posted by cteaglesfan View Post
    If I wanted to use Remington exact same size grain and diameter bullets, do I have to get Remmington specs or can I use Hornady??
    You can use the Hornady data, BUT, as with any handload - even using the specified components, you should always back-off about 10% and work UP to a good load. There can be variances in barrel diameters, chamber throats, etc. from firearm to firearm, so when working up a new load you should always back-off and start low initially.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I've never heard of the "10% rule" If the load i'm working with calls for 8.0 I should maybe back off to 7.2 and work my way up until I think I got what I want??

I was always under the impression that you shouldn't stray from the given number, AT ALL.
    Guns are like condoms. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

(Lehigh County)

Be cautious using the Remington 124gr JHP for loading the .357 sig. Its ogive is different from the Hornady and Sierra, and it might seat too deeply to maintain proper OAL without bullet setback. In a Sig P229, I have used Montana Gold's 115 JHP and 125 FMJ with good results for practice loads.

revarc

I wasn't actually using Rem, that was an example. i was just using the names of the more popular bullet manufacturer. I have no problem with Hornady but everywhere I look they seem to be sold out.

If you could can you give me the names of what you feel are the best 125gr FMJ/JHP bullets out there for the 357 sig?

I know this is probably a stupid question but can you use a .355 diameter 125 gr 9mm bullet to load in a 357 Sig since they are the same diameter, same grain?

Thanks again!!!

the bullet for the 357 sig is different in length and shoulder.

Thank god for forums!!!!!!

(Lehigh County)

I use Montana Gold 125 FMJ, which were designed for the 357 sig. I carry factory Speer 125gr Gold Dots.

revarc

I like Berry's 124 gr flat points. $80/1000 shipped. They seat great with no fear of setback.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by cteaglesfan View Post
    I've never heard of the "10% rule" If the load i'm working with calls for 8.0 I should maybe back off to 7.2 and work my way up until I think I got what I want??

I was always under the impression that you shouldn't stray from the given number, AT ALL.
    I never go below minimum listed data on any load. If there is a minimum and maximum range, start with the minimum load. If there is no range and only one load listed, then start 10% below that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast