Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Downhill Skiing and carrying a firearm.

I am a decent skiier and I enjoy Blue Mountain in Palmerton PA. And yes, I can carve the ski into the mountain, I only tail slide when I want to.

Carrying while skiing has presented some challenges. The first consideration I had was preventing my weapon from being "lost." That would not only be a serious faux pas, there is sentimental value to the revolvers I carry on a daily basis. Draw speed is horrendous while geared up for the elements, and that is another consideration when carrying while skiing.

After some experimentation I have found that what works best for me is my trusty Smith and Wesson 642 in my belt mounted Serpa (mounted directly at 3 o clock, with the pant belt loop holding the holster in place) and two speed strips in my right rear pocket, zipped in. (Think high end Marmot ski pants with velcro and zipper pockets)

The J frame is perfect for me because it is light (15 ounces) and I perform well with it. The Serpa was chosen to try to avoid loss of control of the weapon in the unlikely event of a serious ski crash.

Does anyone else in PAFOA land ski and carry??? Please share your tips and tricks. Thanks in advance...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Downhill Skiing and carrying a firearm.

Sure do, hit Elk Mt and SNO (formerly Montage) up near Scranton so far. I kept it simple, snubbie taurus UltraLite in my right hip pocket zipped shut. It fit snuggly, so it had little movement, and while it takes a moment to wriggle it out I believe it presents several seconds faster than going under my ski pants. I cant think of my pants brand but they are rugged, so I have little worry of blowing my pocket out in the event I fall (not that it ever happens of course ).

Only two days, but Im pretty satsfied with how it rides and its ease of access. I cant imagine actually wearing it in a hip holster at 3 o'clock. I do take a spill every now and then, and imagine it would hurt!
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    Sure do, hit Elk Mt and SNO (formerly Montage) up near Scranton so far. I kept it simple, snubbie taurus UltraLite in my right hip pocket zipped shut. It fit snuggly, so it had little movement, and while it takes a moment to wriggle it out I believe it presents several seconds faster than going under my ski pants. I cant think of my pants brand but they are rugged, so I have little worry of blowing my pocket out in the event I fall (not that it ever happens of course ).

Only two days, but Im pretty satsfied with how it rides and its ease of access. I cant imagine actually wearing it in a hip holster at 3 o'clock. I do take a spill every now and then, and imagine it would hurt!
    so, i take it you like the Taurus?

(Monroe County)

I have a chest rig that works pretty good. That is, unless you smash directly into a tree and crush it into your sternum. They're custom made at a place called survival sheaths. Look them up.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    so, i take it you like the Taurus?
    It is certainly more comfortable than the glock, subcompact or not. So yes!

(Philadelphia County)

I'm a blue trails skier, having skied only 2x in my life, both times in Killington, for a total of 7 days, but did manage to make 1 short black trail run. In other words, I push myself so I do have some pretty good wipe-outs when I ski. I carry my G26 in my small water-proof backpack. Anywhere on me is going to cause some severe imprints. Threat level is super low in Killington anyway.

Al

(Montgomery County)

If you are ever going up to Vermont again, take the short extra bit of a drive and go to Sugarbush. Sugarbush is a superior mountain and less of a circus filled with non-skiers. Take a lesson while you are at it...

Blue Mountain is only about a 90 minutes drive from Philly and I recommend it as the best in the Poconos.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

pointless/dangerous

*if you crash, you could have a ND or, more likely, land on it and break your pelvis or ribs

*what are you carrying for on a ski slope? if anything happens, just ski away!

don't get me wrong, im definitely generally in favor of all-the-time-carry, but whats next? carrying while swimming?

(Lackawanna County)

I can certainly see the need to carry while alpine skiing... You never know when there will be a band of marauding thugs on the bunny trail or James Bond needing our assistance to fight off evil doers...

Better to be safe than sorry, thats what I say !!!

(Lackawanna County)

I taught myself mostly. My brother started taking me a few years ago, and he snowboards. I tried it, and spent most of my time trying to pick myself back up (and failing).
    Switched to skis. Was doing the black diamonds by the end of the day. I wouldnt have considered carrying back then though, all I had was the glock. Wouldnt trust that chambered. A poke of my pole tip would gift me with a great Glock Leg lol.

Its all kinds of fun. I think Im ready to sample the terrain park this year. Late at night when no one is around to see my frustration . As fun as it it though, I doubt id travel very far to do it. I have two nice slopes within a half hour, they are pretty damn nice

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast