Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My first bad OC

(Lancaster County)

Default My first bad OC

When I woke up this afternoon I decided I wanted to go to the range. So I OC (ok I would have anyway). First stop, Walmart for ammo (100rds of 9mm for $19.06). As soon as I got up to the sporting goods counter I seen the guy double look at my weapon. I ignored it, I’m used to that by now. So I told him what I wanted, he got it and set it up on the counter. I showed him my ID. After he examines it for 25-30 seconds (clearly counting) He says “I’m not going to sell this to you because you’re wearing your gun out.” I couldn’t help but ask “Why?” He said “I’m not saying you would, but what if I sold this to you, and you shot the place up?” I refrained myself for saying I wouldn’t use cheap ass 9mm target rounds and said “you do know it’s legal to open carry right?” He said “yeah” So I left and went to the next Walmart, Got my ammo (while OC) No problem. I then missed the range before it closed. I don’t know if his decision was based on my age or the way I was dressed but it isn’t right either way. I’d like to blame it on his ignorance but he said he knew it was legal so I guess it’s just stupidity. As much as I’d like to say I won’t go there anymore, I can’t. Where else can you get milk, socks, dvds, and ammo at 2 AM? This was my first negative reaction to OC. I’d like to call corp. but really, I doubt they’ll care when I say your employee wouldn’t sell me ammo because I had a gun on my hip. Prolly not worth my time. Anyway, just thought I’d share. Any thoughts?
    Chill out it's a gun not a pipe bomb

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: My first bad OC

Write a letter to the store manager detailing what day and time the incident (best word I have for it) happened that way he knows who would have done it. Include a name if you can remember it... Make sure the manager knows it's legal also, never a bad opportunity for education... I open carry alot, and the only real responses I get are generally "What you shootin? How long you been shootin? Aren't handguns expensive?" the answers are usually "Ruger 9mm. A log time. And $325 out the door" lol

Don't let it bother you much, sometimes people are just afraid of guns and feel they are somehow standing up to a crazed gunman wanting more bullets. Those people, however, have no business working in sporting goods... lol
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Delaware County)

So you're wearing a loaded gun and the guy is concerned that if he sells you ammo you'd shoot the place up? What a buffoon. If you were going to shoot the place up, you'd start with him and TAKE the ammo.

The time to act was right there. You should have demanded he get his boss to explain that he doesn't get to decide what customers he gets to sell to.

(Potter County)

wal-mart does not employ the shapest knives in the drawer, so i have noticed as a general rule, but there rare exceptions

(Cambria County)

I might be alone on this wave of thought. But I still can't figure out why you all insisit on OCing at Wal-Mart. If I owned the store, I would ask you to leave too. It is my business. And believe it or not. A lot more people are scared of, or bothered by the sight of someone carrying a pistol.

Is it your right to OC. Sure is. Is it my right to ask you to leave my store, or not sell you ammo if I don't want you OCing in my store. Sure is.

You don't have to shop there if you don't want too. (But lets face it. Ammo is cheap there) I think you would find the majority of stores around would ask you to leave if they see you carrying. That is if the employees weren't afraid to approach you.

Just pull your shirt over the pistol, while in the store. Its your right to carry. It's my right to have my patrons not staring and wondering what your up too.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I might be alone on this wave of thought. But I still can't figure out why you all insisit on OCing at Wal-Mart. If I owned the store, I would ask you to leave too. It is my business. And believe it or not. A lot more people are scared of, or bothered by the sight of someone carrying a pistol.

Is it your right to OC. Sure is. Is it my right to ask you to leave my store, or not sell you ammo if I don't want you OCing in my store. Sure is.

You don't have to shop there if you don't want too. (But lets face it. Ammo is cheap there) I think you would find the majority of stores around would ask you to leave if they see you carrying. That is if the employees weren't afraid to approach you.

Just pull your shirt over the pistol, while in the store. Its your right to carry. It's my right to have my patrons not staring and wondering what your up too.
    Quoted for agreement.

Its like freedom of speech, you DO have a freedom of speech, but you don't have the right to have people around you listening and agreeing with you.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Potter County)

i seemed remember in one of Michael Moore's docs that he got wal-mart to stop selling hand gun ammo.

i purchased it some 9mm ammo at wal-mart a while back and the counter person ask me what i was going to use it for, "nothing evil i hope, i don't like guns" maybe he spotted the slight bulge on my right side ! i said nothing

maybe he should be working in a different dept.

personaly i won't OC. i think it will only hurt our cause and may cause anti-gun laws to be passed by stupid politicans to pacify scared citiziens.

OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND
    Last edited by lonehiker; September 1st, 2007 at 10:20 AM.

(Franklin County)

Just another point of view from someone who runs a store like that.. One company I worked for years ago, used to sell pistols in a store(They were testing them in Wisconsin) Sold the pistol to a customer(A .357)and they took it up front and robbed the place. They said the test failed so they quit selling them. When you buy a gun at Wal Mart (Thats were I bought my wife her 30-30 Marlin) They walk you to the front until you have exited the building. Just for that reason. As a manger you always have to be concerned about Employee safety and public safety. Thats a huge responsibility
    And in a uncertain world you never know who you can trust. The town that I manage in, is a rough area with allot of drug traffic. What I do is just watch, if they act nervous or anything out of the ordinary I get involved. I saw a guy oc a few weeks a go. He had his 4 year old girl him, he looked like he was just shopping. No problem. We don't sell any ammo where I work at now. But I would have to agree, just cause we have the right to open carry, doesn't always mean it's the smartest thing to do. That's why you are not allowed to hang your hunting rifle in the back window of your truck anymore. It must be in a case. Makes people nervous. My job has made to learn to respect others concerns and point of view. Concealing to me is being considerate. Don't mean to offend anyone.
    In God We Trust............................

What walmart did this happen at?

(Northampton County)

Chazman....Have you ever OCed in your local Wal mart??....the one on rt 224?? I've been in there lots in the past. I used to live in New Castle. Have you ever got a reaction from any local LEOs??

I don't OC....I'm afraid. But I have no problem with those who do.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast