Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: LTCF revisions for uniformity

Quote Originally Posted by NevynPA View Post
    In Columbia County, *YOU* have to make your references call *THEM*! Trust me, I had to do it just last week.
    Interesting. As far as I know, the Allegheny County Sheriff never contacted anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    In olden days, you needed to get a letter from your local chief. Basically he said that you weren't known to be nut or troublemaker. That makes more sense than "references." Who the heck would knowingly name someone who would give a bad reference?
    There still are one or two counties that still do this with a "local police check card"...in addition to the references.

(Fulton County)

For some reason, I don't think the politicians are trying to make LTCF process easier. This could be a backdoor attempt at making the process more difficult. Keep a close eye on this one people

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    It is my understanding that, on the state level, changes are being considered to make the process of applying for and getting an LCTF uniform.

While this is still in the works may I ask that you all write to your reps and propose that long time LTCF holders no longer be required to provide references. References are probably reasonable for the first time one applies but if one has lived in the same county for deecades and has had numerous renewals they seem to be just redundant.

If enough of us make our preferences known I am sure that we can cause small changes here and there that would be to the benefit of us all.
    My BOLD: I do not recall, as a long time LTCF holder, having to do the references thing on subsequent renewals here in Centre County. Could be that I am getting forgetful in my old age though.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I don't mind the references clause, what I do mind is egotistical sheriffs requiring that they live in the same county which is not a provision in the UFA.
    If I'm not mistaking you are required to apply in the county where you live.
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    If I'm not mistaking you are required to apply in the county where you live.
    You do have to apply in the county in which you live. There is no requirement in the UFA that your references must also live in that county. A lot of sheriff's add this requirement on their own.

(Perry County)

In Perry Co. there is no need for references when renewing. If your experience varies it must be a case of an obstructionist Sheriff.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    In Perry Co. there is no need for references when renewing. If your experience varies it must be a case of an obstructionist Sheriff.
    Actually, a Sheriff who is not requiring references for renewal is acting in violation of the law. Technically, we don't renew our LTCFs. We apply for, and receive, a completely new LTCF. The entire application must be completed, PICS must be run, every time. Sheriffs don't have the authority to waive any part of the process.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Actually, a Sheriff who is not requiring references for renewal is acting in violation of the law. Technically, we don't renew our LTCFs. We apply for, and receive, a completely new LTCF. The entire application must be completed, PICS must be run, every time. Sheriffs don't have the authority to waive any part of the process.
    Bold is mine.

I am not trying to be smart, just clarification. I realize the entire application must be filled in along with the references.

Why is there a spot on the form to check renewal and on my license is checked renewal?
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Why is there a spot on the form to check renewal and on my license is checked renewal?
    I'm not really sure. My license says renewal too. The entire application process, including background check, must be completed every time your LTCF expires. The LTCF number is different each time you're issued one. Contrast that with a Driver's License. You don't have to take the test each time you renew, your license number doesn't change,you just show ID, get a new photo, and a renewed license. With LTCFs, you are approved for, and issued, an entirely new license.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast