Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recommend a BUG for me

I've posted a few times on here recently about issues I've had with carrying during certain scenarios, mainly while driving and while at work. A common suggestion I've heard is to use an ankle holster, and my only real concern with this is that I'm worried the gun would badly print through my pants. I don't wear tight pants, but I do have fairly skinny legs. I've never used an ankle holster so I'm not sure how well they conceal and what to look for.

I've decided I'd like to get a BUG to carry in an ankle holster, but have neither at the moment and would love some suggestions... and pictures if possible. I currently own an XD and a PPS in 9mm, and a P22, all of which are solid black, so perhaps it is time for something shiny and all metal. This would mainly be as a BUG, but also as a primary to carry while at work (construction). I'm not looking for anything too expensive, though I'm open to any and all advice and suggestions on both the gun and holster.

Thanks in advance!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Recommend a BUG for me

wow, you left it kind of wide open for suggestions. there are tons of guns that you could wear in an ankle holster. i've never used them myself, because i don't think they're a good idea. that's just my opinion. someone else might think they're tits.

i can definitely recommend two subcompact guns: the Keltec P3AT and the Taurus 85UL. you could substitute any J-frame for it, though, since they're all the same basic size.

here's the Taurus next to a full size 1911:

here's the P3AT next to some stuff, for a size reference:

i could carry either of these in my pocket, and you'd never notice them. both are solid guns.

(York County)

How about a Ruger LCP? That being said I just ordered a Taurus TCP. The trigger is much better than the Ruger's. I'll let you know more when it comes in and I actually shoot it. They are both the same price, the Kel-Tec is going to be a little bit cheaper but not much.

Jah also recommended a revolver. You can also get a good Ruger or Smith&Wesson in the same size. I would say go with the Taurus 85 as well. They are just as good and quite a bit cheaper.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    How about a Ruger LCP? That being said I just ordered a Taurus TCP. The trigger is much better than the Ruger's. I'll let you know more when it comes in and I actually shoot it. They are both the same price, the Kel-Tec is going to be a little bit cheaper but not much.

Jah also recommended a revolver. You can also get a good Ruger or Smith&Wesson in the same size. I would say go with the Taurus 85 as well. They are just as good and quite a bit cheaper.
    I like my LCP for a backup gun. I was debating between it and the kel tec, and although I have heard mostly good about the kel tec, the finish is very crude compared to the Ruger. The LCP is extremely small and light, and I hardly know I'm carrying it when it's in my pocket or under my tshirt in a pancake !

(Monroe County)

My friend carries a SW 642 in an ankle holster as a BUG. He's about 5'5" and 130 lbs. I know it's on his ankle and I can honestly never really see it there, and I always look to see if my CC friends are printing, just so I can give them a hard time.

He doesn't wear skin tight jeans, and he doesn't wear obnoxious baggy jeans. I guess for lack of a better term, I'm not a jean afficionado, he wears "relaxed fit" style jeans.

Now, onto my opinions. Ankle carry is better than no carry. However, in a pinch, it's probably the hardest common carry location to access your gun from.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

In my humble opinion, the Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver, pictured here:

Is the ideal carry handgun that weighs only 15 ounces. Smith now offers this fine revolver with the "pro series" treatment that is cut for moonclips, has no internal lock and has an action job!!!

I carry my 642 about 85% of the time, and shoot it very very well...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    In my humble opinion, the Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver, pictured here:

Is the ideal carry handgun that weighs only 15 ounces. Smith now offers this fine revolver with the "pro series" treatment that is cut for moonclips, has no internal lock and has an action job!!!

I carry my 642 about 85% of the time, and shoot it very very well...
    i prefer the S&W M60 over the 642, for the purpose of all stainless and can handle .357 mag.

heres mine protecting my bacon

Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry for the vagueness. I didn't want to get too specific and wanted a wide range of suggestions. Like I said originally I'm looking for something shiny (not black plastic like my other guns) and something reliable but for a reasonably low price. I like the Smith and Wesson 642, but I think it's a bit more than I was looking at. I'm interested in something <$400 if possible.

The Taurus suggested is nice as well, but also has an MSRP of over $600. I like the idea of a revolver as a BUG, but are the smaller ones all that expensive. I was under the assumption that they were cheaper than semi-autos. I'm wondering if it would be better to find something cheap to get soon, or wait and save for something nicer. I might stop by a few gun stores soon and browse the used section, and maybe something interesting will turn up there.

And thanks for the responses. Rep sent to everyone.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    i prefer the S&W M60 over the 642, for the purpose of all stainless and can handle .357 mag.

heres mine protecting my bacon
    You had me at bacon....

I like the LCP. It will fit in pockets, IWB holsters, pancake/scabbard style holsters, ankle, wherever.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Ah so the secret ingredient in your BLT is Break-Free? Polymer guns will always hold the bargain priced spot. Their tupperware components are easily squirted out in mass quantities. If you want an ankle rig the M60 while it can handle .357 weighs nearly 2x as much. It may even change your stride dramatically. The classic answer is shop around you might snag a deal on a used airweight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast