Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Recommend a BUG for me

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    Sorry for the vagueness. I didn't want to get too specific and wanted a wide range of suggestions. Like I said originally I'm looking for something shiny (not black plastic like my other guns) and something reliable but for a reasonably low price. I like the Smith and Wesson 642, but I think it's a bit more than I was looking at. I'm interested in something <$400 if possible.

The Taurus suggested is nice as well, but also has an MSRP of over $600. I like the idea of a revolver as a BUG, but are the smaller ones all that expensive. I was under the assumption that they were cheaper than semi-autos. I'm wondering if it would be better to find something cheap to get soon, or wait and save for something nicer. I might stop by a few gun stores soon and browse the used section, and maybe something interesting will turn up there.

And thanks for the responses. Rep sent to everyone.
    there are quite a few snubbies that are under $400, and you can find used S&W and Taurus around that, too. Charter Arms, Rossi, Comanche, and EAA all make good revolvers, and they're all affordable. i'm thinking over the EAA Windicator; i can get it brand new for around $250, and it's a 2" .357Magnum.

don't pay attention to MSRP; most shops price them more realistically, and if you live within distance of more than one shop, you can find a pretty good deal, if you look.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    You had me at bacon....

I like the LCP. It will fit in pockets, IWB holsters, pancake/scabbard style holsters, ankle, wherever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    Ah so the secret ingredient in your BLT is Break-Free? Polymer guns will always hold the bargain priced spot. Their tupperware components are easily squirted out in mass quantities. If you want an ankle rig the M60 while it can handle .357 weighs nearly 2x as much. It may even change your stride dramatically. The classic answer is shop around you might snag a deal on a used airweight.

to hell with Break Free, it's Weapon Shield that makes it better.

the S&W M60 is currently carried as my BUG, Small of back, for the time being. i'm picking up the Comptac Tuckable apendix holster for deep concealment
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cumberland County)

Sorry for the vagueness. I didn't want to get too specific and wanted a wide range of suggestions. Like I said originally I'm looking for something shiny (not black plastic like my other guns) and something reliable but for a reasonably low price. I like the Smith and Wesson 642, but I think it's a bit more than I was looking at. I'm interested in something <$400 if possible.

The Taurus suggested is nice as well, but also has an MSRP of over $600. I like the idea of a revolver as a BUG, but are the smaller ones all that expensive. I was under the assumption that they were cheaper than semi-autos. I'm wondering if it would be better to find something cheap to get soon, or wait and save for something nicer. I might stop by a few gun stores soon and browse the used section, and maybe something interesting will turn up there.

And thanks for the responses. Rep sent to everyone.
    Go for the Ruger LCR then. Under $ 400, revolver, light weight, no hammer ?
    If you don't want the black revolver, and want some shine under $ 400, maybe the Taurus 856 ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    In my humble opinion, the Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver, pictured here:

Is the ideal carry handgun that weighs only 15 ounces. Smith now offers this fine revolver with the "pro series" treatment that is cut for moonclips, has no internal lock and has an action job!!!

I carry my 642 about 85% of the time, and shoot it very very well...
    Don't listen to Steve...he's obsessed with wheel guns.

Get one of these instead:

Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Allegheny County)

I dont think you need a new gun

just put your PPS with flush fit mag in one of these:
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=114
    or:
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

it will vanish, and appendix is the perfect place for access while sitting/driving.

I dont think you need a new gun

just put your PPS with flush fit mag in one of these:
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=114
    or:
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

it will vanish, and appendix is the perfect place for access while sitting/driving.
    I like the idea, but driving/sitting isn't the only carry situation I'm trying to remedy. Because I work construction, I don't want anything on or near my waist as I'd constantly be banging or catching on it, not to mention the comfort factor when working stretched out on a ladder.

I do like some of the suggestions given, and have looked into a few of them online. I've made a list of your suggestions that I'm interested in, so I may visit some stores this weekend and take a closer look and try to feel them out. I probably will end up buying used, so I'll be keeping an eye out both in the stores and on the classified section on here.

I do have another question though about the use of a .357 snub nose. I'm a fan of .357, but have only shot large ones. I just can't imagine how much it would kick coming from a 2" barrel. How manageable are they to shoot, and is there any good reason to go with .357 over other calibers, other than bigger is better?

(Lackawanna County)

I like the idea, but driving/sitting isn't the only carry situation I'm trying to remedy. Because I work construction, I don't want anything on or near my waist as I'd constantly be banging or catching on it, not to mention the comfort factor when working stretched out on a ladder.

I do like some of the suggestions given, and have looked into a few of them online. I've made a list of your suggestions that I'm interested in, so I may visit some stores this weekend and take a closer look and try to feel them out. I probably will end up buying used, so I'll be keeping an eye out both in the stores and on the classified section on here.

I do have another question though about the use of a .357 snub nose. I'm a fan of .357, but have only shot large ones. I just can't imagine how much it would kick coming from a 2" barrel. How manageable are they to shoot, and is there any good reason to go with .357 over other calibers, other than bigger is better?
    the best part of getting something in .357, is that you can shoot milder .38s through it too. and .38 is fine for SD, as good as any 9mm.

(Monroe County)

Now that you bring that up, you might want to get away from ankle carry. The last thing you need to do is hang your ankle rig up on a ladder and fall to the ground and break your neck. If something starts to fall down on top of you, you dont want your ankle rig to snag something and trip you, or get you stuck.

You should probably look into torso carry, or the smart carry system.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Now that you bring that up, you might want to get away from ankle carry. The last thing you need to do is hang your ankle rig up on a ladder and fall to the ground and break your neck. If something starts to fall down on top of you, you dont want your ankle rig to snag something and trip you, or get you stuck.

You should probably look into torso carry, or the smart carry system.
    That's a pretty good point. I figured it would be tucked close to my work boots and under pants, so I didn't think it would catch anything too badly, and definitely not as badly as my OWB currently does.

I've seen the smartcarry before, but it seems a little awkward to me. If I had a chance to use one maybe I'd be proven wrong, but it doesn't look comfortable, both physically and mentally. When you say torso carry, do you mean shoulder holster or something different? I've considered shoulder holster in the past but never went that route, so perhaps I should look into that again. In that case I could continue carrying my normal PPS or XD... any recommendations for holsters?

Like Steve, I prefer the 642. My wife has one & if she'd give it up, (Not likely), I'd carry it as a BUG.
    I don't think ankle carry would work for me & I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters. I'd go the pocket holster route, so I could move it from hip to front to jacket pocket, depending on what I was doing.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast