Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what is this italian pistola

I recently acquired this pistol on a loan to a friend. the stamp on it reads:
    PISTOLA CAL. 6.35=S A T A=GARDONE V.T.
    MADE in ITALY

I tried finding some info on it and came across this site. Ill try to post some pics. on the right side of the pist. 1958 is stamped beside the handle. the gun has a broken firing pen, and i was hoping to find one to surprise my buddy upon return. he didnt know anything about the gun and my search hasn't created much more. check out the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Default Re: what is this italian pistola

this link from gunbroker will answer your questions on this 25 acp.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105009

good luck
    gotta love her ;)

ALGUIEN PUEDE AUDARME A ENCONTRAR UN PLANO DE LAS PIEZAS INTERNAS DE LA PISTOLA?? O ENSEŃARMELA DESARMADA??? LA QUIERO RESTAURAR Y NO TENGO ALGUNAS PIEZAS INTERNAS, GRAX

sata 6.35 italiana

New to this website. Found it while looking for info on this same pistol (Sata 25 cal). Need info on how to field strip it. Anybody have that information?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedrt View Post
    New to this website. Found it while looking for info on this same pistol (Sata 25 cal). Need info on how to field strip it. Anybody have that information?

Most of those 22cal and 25cal pocket guns have a plunger around the firing pin in the back. You push the plunger in, and lift the rear of the slide at the same time. On some guns you have to pull the slide back slightly as you do it while applying an upwards pressure.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedrt View Post
    Found this: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...and-Tanfoglio)

Default SATA – Italian .25 acp pocket Pistol (Sabatti and Tanfoglio)

A few weeks ago, I went into a pawnshop and spotted a neat little .25 acp pistol. I could tell it was an older piece, so I asked the clerk to let me look at it. I immediately noticed the bold letters “ SATA ” on the grip panels. The left side of the slide read ‘PISTOLA AUT. “SATA” Calib. 6.35 Brev. 1955 - MAGNO di GARDONE V.T. - Brescia - ITALIA. The right side simply read “MADE in ITALY” and the serial number. I had never heard of this maker, so I was immediately curious. Behind the right grip panel was a series of standard Italian proof stamps that included a shield with a star above it, the letters ‘PS’ with a star above it, and the date ‘1958’. The shield and star proof is also stamped on the chamber of the barrel at the ejector port.
    The pistol fits my large hands fairly well for a .25. The magazine has a heel release, and holds 7 rounds. Initially, I thought the pistol was a derivative of the Walther Model 8. In fact, it looks almost exactly like a Walther Model 8, but only in outward appearance, as the internal design is completely different. To me, it looks like the SATA is a crossbreed between a Walther Model 8 and Model 9 – and perhaps a model of the Armi Galesi knock-off line. Instead of utilizing a hidden-hammer (Mod 8), the SATA uses a spring-striker and a lollipop shaped guide on the backstrap to hold the slide on (Mod 9). But even then, the similarities between the Walther model 8 & 9 and the SATA stop. To me, the SATA is a semi-unique design. It is a fixed-barrel design, with a pinned barrel. The slide is removed by pulling it back about a quarter-inch, and rotating the safety lever 180 degrees to the rear, which releases the lollipop shaped guide for the slide, The guide springs out from the back-strap, kind-of like a small grip-safety. Interestingly, this guide is the only thing that holds the slide on the frame.

I did a little research when I got home and found next to nothing about this pistol. A Google search didn’t dig up much more. But, from what I can find, SATA was a partnership between the Gardone Val Trompia families of Sabatti and Tanfoglio---hence the SATA namesake. Both families have been making arms for centuries, and still do today. According to both of the current company’s websites, the cooperation that became SATA began shortly after WW-II. Established around 1946-48, the cooperation made firearm parts, primarily shotgun receivers and lock-works. Around 1953-54, SATA began to produce complete firearms in the form of small automatic pistols for personal defense in .22 Short and 6.35 (.25 acp). The cooperation only lasted until 1960, when the two families split and went their separate ways, with Sabatti making sporting shotguns, and Tanfoglio making cheap revolvers and small-framed automatics.
    http://www.sabatti.it/en/The-history
    http://www.tanfoglio.it/eng/company.php

I did find a poster on the Gunbroker forum (perhaps a Gunboards member also?) who states that he contacted Tanfoglio, which confirmed the cooperation dissolved in 1960. Tanfoglio also stated that the SATA cooperation made less than 8,000 of the pistols. The poster also had the following characteristics;
    1. Semiautomatic pistol (pg. 178 TRIPLE K catalog)
    2. SATA model
    3. ----- (the company went bust in 1960)
    4. .25 acp (6.3mm browning)
    5. BBL LENGTH: 2 9/16"
    6. OAL:4.68" / OAH:3.50"
    7. Weight unloaded: 13 ounces
    8. Semiautomatic blowback pistol
    9. Single stack detachable mag / 7+1 capacity
    10. Rifling: 6-groove right hand concentric twist
    11. Unusual takedown via the safety lever located on the left side of the frame
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105009

Looking at the few photos I have seen of other SATA’s on the net, it appears that the pistol went through a few subtle design changes throughout its short production run. These changes include moving of the extractor and ejection port from the right side of the slide to the top—as well as widening the ejection port several times on the top to almost an ‘open’ slide – like a semi-Beretta style --- probably to improve ejection. Other changes include variations in the slide markings, as well as personal options, such as white or black grips, and blued or chrome finish.

I know that Tanfoglio has made some ‘cheap’ pistols in the past, but has a fairly successful production line now. And I know nothing about Sabatti’s. But this little pistol has a sense of quality to it. There are crude machine marks in hidden areas, and the action feels a little gritty, but it shoots pretty well. On my first outing with it, I shot two jam-free magazines through it before it started raining. I could hit a 2x6 ‘most’ of the time at 25 feet – which is on par with other 25s I have shot. Initially, I thought I might have over-paid for it at $130.00 otd. The pistol has freckling and pitting from poor storage. I also thought it might be a cheap FIE or Armi Galesi knock-off. But the more I shoot, study, and marvel over it, the more I really like this little pistol. It’s the story and history behind obscure and unique firearms that keep me interested in the hobby.
    Anyone else seen or heard of one?
    Any comments?
    TOM
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Looking for a magazine for a SATA 22 short automatic pistol.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by John Childe View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA. There is a classified section where you can place a want ad, which will get more attention than posting in this thread.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by John Childe View Post
    Ebay or Gunbroker or get extremely lucky trolling gun shows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast