Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Remington 700 SPS tactical bolt question

I picked up a new Remington 700 SPS tactical last week. Took it to the range this afternoon and have a quick question. I was shooting cheap American eagle ammo. Fired around 30 rounds. When I went to clean the gun this evening I noticed brass markings running the length of the bolt. There was also a lot of brass on the bolt face. There where also scratches running length wise on the spent brass. Is this normal? This is my first bolt gun besides some .22’s years ago.

Here are some pics of the brass. I should have took a picture of the bolt before i cleaned it

Last edited by cyclesteel; January 6th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Remington 700 SPS tactical bolt question

Seems as though your mag is pushing hard. Perhaps to aggressive a tilt? Perhaps your box is catching as well.

Take a good look at all your mag related areas and see if there are any additional brass curls or chips. If it is truly down to your bolt, first try something as simple as dropping you floor plate and re-seating it. If that doesn't work I would investigate your tilt.

PS> Your marks don't look horrible, so don't get to worried.
    Last edited by Fr0sty; January 6th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the tips I will check the feed area. Could it be the ammo. I cycled 9 rounds and it seems as though everything is feeding smoothly I did not pay attention to the the feed lips though I will check those later tonight or tomorrow ( I put everything away all ready.)

I attached some pictures of the bolt and bolt face. These where totally clean before I cycled through 9 rounds.

i'd say your magazine spring is just a bit stiff. i'll catch shit for saying this but the last time i had this problem i loaded the rifle to capacity and locked it in the gun cabinet for a week. it didnt totally stop but it was alot less noticable and after tumbling the cases you couldnt see the rub marks.

(Lebanon County)

Lube the bolt to, it's way to dry

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    Seems as though your mag is pushing hard. Perhaps to aggressive a tilt? Perhaps your box is catching as well.

Take a good look at all your mag related areas and see if there are any additional brass curls or chips.
    It looks like the brass is being scraped off the shells on the feed lips and then the bolt is picking it up as it travels over it. Look at the pictures you can see all the brass shavings. The feed lips felt smooth to me I could not detect any rough edges.

Any ides on a solution? Will keeping it loaded for a week work ?

Also how much lube for the bolt? The manual just shows 4 points to put lube.

(Lehigh County)

It looks like your mag spring is tight. The marks on the brass and the shavings are coming from your bolt scraping the casing as you cycle it. There is nothing wrong with your rifle. After a few trips to the range this will get better.

My rifle did the dame thing for a few months. It still does it a little, but gets less and less after each trip to the range.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

clean the gun real good and load them directly into the chamber and see if there's any damage to the shell then. this way you get a better idea of whats going on. if it ends up being the mag, cut a little bit off the spring.
    FJB

yea i'd say its definatly just a strong spring. it'll eventually work its way to perfect as you load and unload the magazine. i just left mine loaded for a week to speen things up. worked like a charm but i woudlnt recomend it unlesss you have a locking gun cabinet and dont need to worry about anyone messing with it. if you do it this way make sure to leave the bolt open so you can visually see its loaded. dont need one in the chamber thats just unsafe.

(Bucks County)

I played around with the 700 a little more, if I drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt everything is nice and smooth. No brass on the bolt except on the bolt face pretty much the same amount as in the picture above is that normal ?

Feeding from the internal magazine is when things do not go so well. It actually feels like it is feeding worse. . If all 4 rounds are loaded I have use some force to get the bolt to strip the round into the chamber. Even when there is one round loaded it seems as though It is not feeding properly. I pulled the spring from the base plate and used my hand to hold it in and try different tensions. Even with very little spring tension it still did not feed all that well but then again I have nothing to compare it to should it be smooth ?

I am going to stop by Tanners tomorrow and see what they have to say. It is a brand new gun and I would rather have someone who is familiar with them take a look at before I start cutting springs . Hopefully it will not have to go back to Remington
    I seem to have bad luck when it comes to buying new firearms there is always something wrong. Used guns no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast