Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Gunsmithing Courses

Ok, first off, let me just say that I AM NOT LOOKING TO DO THIS PROFESSIONALLY. I have a good job, I'm just looking to be a little more proficient so I can work on my own guns and do some tinkering. I think that having a better understanding of the inner workings of my firearms will make me a better shooter as well.
    That having been said, has anyone ever taken an online gunsmithing course? As in distance learning. My schedule is erratic at work, so that rules out night courses for me, but if I could find a course online I would do that. Are there any that you would recommend? If so, was it good, bad, hard, easy? What kind of things are covered? I'm good with metalworking and things like that. I'd just like to get some opinions as to whether or not there's any online courses out there worth taking. Thanks.
    -RB
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

(Centre County)

Default Re: Gunsmithing Courses

I don't know if there are any online gunsmithing courses. However, the American Gunsmithing Association has a course via DVD and also specialized DVD's for particular makes/models of guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Blair County)

Funny you should ask right now! A local dealer just stopped by and told me he was taking a Gunsmithing course from;

http://www.pennfoster.edu/gunsmith/index.html .

This is the old ICS group from Scranton.

He speaks very highly of it. His primary income is from a vehicle repair business he owns, and is the sole employee of. So he already has some very good mechanical skills as well as a lathe and mill. I don’t know if you can select your own curriculum as you can with AGA, or if you need to take the whole thing.
    Steve

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. I'll look into that Penn Foster course. Thanks.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    Funny you should ask right now! A local dealer just stopped by and told me he was taking a Gunsmithing course from;

http://www.pennfoster.edu/gunsmith/index.html .

This is the old ICS group from Scranton.

He speaks very highly of it. His primary income is from a vehicle repair business he owns, and is the sole employee of. So he already has some very good mechanical skills as well as a lathe and mill. I don’t know if you can select your own curriculum as you can with AGA, or if you need to take the whole thing.
    Steve

I did this about 18 years ago when it was ICS. After reading their ad "Become A Gunsmith"- I decided I wanted to do it. The first book I opened there was a disclaimer in it-"This course will not make you a gunsmith-it involves hands-on -ect., etc. A lot of good info, though, not worth what I paid for it. Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    I did this about 18 years ago when it was ICS. After reading their ad "Become A Gunsmith"- I decided I wanted to do it. The first book I opened there was a disclaimer in it-"This course will not make you a gunsmith-it involves hands-on -ect., etc. A lot of good info, though, not worth what I paid for it. Hope this helps.
    I paid too much for that course too. Some of the supplement stuff was useful, but I can't say I learned my moneys worth. I would only recommend the Penn Foster course to someone with no knowledge of guns whatsoever, and has too much money... and even that's a maybe.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rbrotz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. I'll look into that Penn Foster course. Thanks.
    I still have the 13 book (paperback) course, plus some supplements. PM or e mail if interested and I will sell it. $125.00 shipped.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Franklin County)

I looked into this course 8-10 yrs ago and they have removed most of the tools from what you get for the money. Even then I thought that it was too much for the money as I already had most of the tools and theirs were a bit on the economical side. I'd take up Inspector 710's gracious offer. Personally, a true gunsmith needs to know how to cut chambers, true the bolt and a good many more machine ops. You just can't get that out of a book. It needs hands on training with experienced superviosion. These sorts of courses should be called an armorer's course.

(Philadelphia County)

I have the same interest as rbrotz. I am mechanically inclined, and I design and build apparatus at work. Other than inspector710 who offered to sell his books to rbrotz, does anyone else want to sell or know of someone who wants to sell the books to me?

I too have an interest in such a course for the same reason as rbrotz. I think it will make me a better gunowner and shooter.

Hmmmmm........wonder if we could do a group buy/class?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast