Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New all-weather .300

I currently use a Remington Model 700 BDL .270 caliber as my main rifle for white tail deer hunting. I'm looking to buy a new rifle...namely a make/model that I'm not afraid to take out in the rain, definitely a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. I'm also looking for a caliber that will take down larger deer such as elk/caribou and large bear for future hunting trips. I think I've narrowed it down to a few different make/model/calibers:

Ruger M77 Hawkeye .300 Winchester Short Mag (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...her/index.html)
    Winchester Model 70 .300 Winchester Short Mag (http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535110)
    Remington Model 700 SPS Stainless .300 Remington Ultra Mag
    Remington Model 700 SPS Stainless .300 Winchester Short Mag(http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._Stainless.asp)

As far as calibers go, it seems like the .300 WSM should have enough knock down power for anything in North America...but i'm not sure how nice it would be to have the extra umph available with the Ultra Mag...is it worth it?

As for the models...I've heard great things about the new Ruger M77 line...supposedly they have Mauser actions and are very accurate. Haven't used one, so thats all just hear-say. I've also heard the Remington and Winchester actions are accurate as well.

Price is also a factor here. Looks like I can get the Remingtons for ~$550, the Ruger for ~$600, and the Winchester will cost $850+.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these calibers or make/models? Possible suggestions or comments?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: New all-weather .300

Don't overlook Savage and Tikka. Tikka has one action length (long) so I'd go with the 300 Win mag, NOT the short mag in that one.

Best advice is to try them at the store, see what you like. Things like where is the safety, does the safety lock the bolt closed, floorplate vs detachable magazine, etc. Some come with rings, that could save you a few $.

Since you're thinking bad weather, you should consider a Bushnell Elite or Sightron Big Sky scope. They both have anti- moisture coatings on the lenses.

Dale

(Delaware County)

I just bought a Remington 700 XCR in 30-06. It's super light and has that extra special coating just for the elements. I was considering getting a 300 Remington Ultra Mag but opted not to just because of the lack of availability of ammo. I don't want to have to wait to get it from an online source and Cabela's is an hour thirty from me.

I'd go with a 300 Win. Mag. Whether its short or long action. Almost every gun shop, Dick's, K-Mart will carry these on their shelves. Plus it's a whole lot cheaper than the ultra mag prices.

Good luck and buy American!!

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Don't overlook Savage and Tikka. Tikka has one action length (long) so I'd go with the 300 Win mag, NOT the short mag in that one.

Best advice is to try them at the store, see what you like. Things like where is the safety, does the safety lock the bolt closed, floorplate vs detachable magazine, etc. Some come with rings, that could save you a few $.

Since you're thinking bad weather, you should consider a Bushnell Elite or Sightron Big Sky scope. They both have anti- moisture coatings on the lenses.

Dale
    Is the Savage brand on par with Winchester, Ruger, or Remington as far as quality is concerned? Also, is the main benefit of the Tikka being a light-weight rifle? I don't know much about them...are they a little more pricey than the other brands mentioned in the thread? Thank you for the info and the food for thought, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by mredder351 View Post
    I just bought a Remington 700 XCR in 30-06. It's super light and has that extra special coating just for the elements. I was considering getting a 300 Remington Ultra Mag but opted not to just because of the lack of availability of ammo. I don't want to have to wait to get it from an online source and Cabela's is an hour thirty from me.

I'd go with a 300 Win. Mag. Whether its short or long action. Almost every gun shop, Dick's, K-Mart will carry these on their shelves. Plus it's a whole lot cheaper than the ultra mag prices.

Good luck and buy American!!
    Thank you for the input...I believe you, and the others I've talked to in person have talked me out of the .300 RUM.

(Monroe County)

that Mossburg 100ATR Rifle is on the lower end of the price range, but its a nice feeling gun. not as smooth as the Ruger, but it will save you lots of money for a scope, sling, and 30-06 ammo.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by GHott View Post
    Is the Savage brand on par with Winchester, Ruger, or Remington as far as quality is concerned? Also, is the main benefit of the Tikka being a light-weight rifle? I don't know much about them...are they a little more pricey than the other brands mentioned in the thread? Thank you for the info and the food for thought, much appreciated!
    Savage MSRP is about $800 for the Weather Warrior series. That is with the Accustock and Accutrigger. They are generally considered to be one of the best for out of the box accuracy.

Tiikka MSRP is $650 for the T3 lite in SS. Weight is 6.44 lbs according to the specs. Again, they are an accurate rifle.

2 years ago, I bought a Tikka in 7mm-08 for crappy weather deer hunting. It was a real toss-up between the Savage and the Tikka. It ran me $519.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; January 8th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.