Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Why guns and hands get shot

Very early on in training we solved the "people shooting the gun/gun hand mystery". Unless trained otherwise when people pick up a pistol they usually do so with one hand and "point" it. This requires lining up the eyes, gun and perceived threat. As something moves away from you it becomes smaller so your line of sight drops. This puts the pistol in COM of the shooter, either dead on or to the side (more likely when they are moving away). During the fight we focus on the threat, not a part of the threat. We shoot at them. Before our rounds hit the torso they need to get by the hand(s) and iarms(s) in front of it. I would say that in FOF about 80% of the first rounds fired during the altercation strike the hands/arms if the attacker is armed with a pistol. If he has an impact or edged weapon the rounds strike the torso. Mystery solved.- George

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why guns and hands get shot

i have noticed this in gun-on-gun airsoft FOF as well.

like you said, assuming the other guy uses a typical method of shooting a handgun, it will be COM, so one would expect to hit the gun/hands/arm if shooting COM.

personally, i don't view this as a huge problem. shooting the gun/shooting hand/shooting arm is at least going to slow him down a good bit as far as being able to shoot you, i would think...giving you the opportunity to end the fight in whatever way is appropriate (he surrenders or you shoot him again) before he can get rounds back on you.
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i have noticed this in gun-on-gun airsoft FOF as well.
    As have I. Airsoft pellets to the knuckles hurt!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    As have I. Airsoft pellets to the knuckles hurt!
    indeed...i once noticed that if you shoot your opponent in the trigger finger knuckle a couple times, his finger will become so stiff he cannot press the trigger and shoot back at you.
    F*S=k

(Northumberland County)

Ive seen it and heard it for years - humans will INSTINCTIVELY try to eliminate what will hurt them. What will hurt them is the bullet fired from the gun, the knife, etc. During some of our practical shoots, there is a life sized target poster of a guy holding a huge knife, looking all menacing. YOU CAN BET that the shooters put more holes in the knife than into center mass. Every time.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?