Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can CCing a 5"1911 be uncomfy ?

I am looking for a .45 ACP carry gun. I am leaning towards a G30SF but a 1911 is not out of the question. I have read more than once that ccing a 1911 can rub you,scrape you etc if you have love handles which I do. The beavertail can dig into sides it looks like.

Obviosusly the G30SF would cause no such issues. Has anyone had a 1911 that scratched them up to the point they didnt CC it anymore ?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Can CCing a 5"1911 be uncomfy ?

I don't have a 1911 but I cc a browning Hi-power which is also a large pistol. It can be uncomfortable but a good holster makes all the difference in the world. The hi-power doesn't have a beavertail, but the hammer does dig into my "love handles". It has never bothered me enough to quit cc'ing it though. A no bite commander hammer is on my wish list to fix that. Good luck.

(Luzerne County)

I carry a Kimber 1911 ultra carry. I found that once I found the right holster that you wont even notice it there.

I am currently paying on a full size. I believe that this one will be just as comfortable.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

thx for the fast responses. I am going to sell my G27 at the local pawn shop this morning then go .45 hunting

(Beaver County)

get a 1911. good holster is a MUST!

good luck

(Jefferson County)

Holsters are the bigger player in the comfy v. uncomfy battle. A crappy, cheap, or inappropriate holster will make life a bitch. But a well designed holster will provide comfort for even some the heaviest, sharpest edged, and pointy-part guns. The next factors are where on your person do you carry, holster support(belts/straps).

If you pay $10-$30 for a holster you're gonna get $10-$30 worth of comfort and durability. All of my carry guns are toted in $60-$200 holsters and none bother me a bit.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I've got a full size 1911 that I carry. It's a Dan Wesson Valor

If you use a quality belt and a good holster (I bougt the Valor with a Wilson IWB and also a Wilson OWB holster). I'm carrying in an OWB holster for the winter. I have a couple sweatshirts and fleeces that cover it up very well. I've never had a problem with it scratching me up. However, I do have to sit with good posture because of the way the gun sits, as well as the 2 extra mags on my weak side. It doesn't carry as comfortable as my Cold Detective special with an extra round pouch for 6 extra rounds.That being said, it's not uncomfortable, and it's a LOT more gun to have at my side.

IMO, having a full size 1911 on my hip is way more comforting that it could ever be uncomfortable!

By the way, I'm all of 5'6" with an athletic build. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to be a big guy to conceal a big gun (I'm sure it wouldn't hurt though lol!)

(York County)

i carry a 45 IWB without holster at 4 oclock (between kidney and right hip), butt forward. if your pants fit right it's not a problem.

(Bucks County)

I'm new to carrying (IWB), but I find that the length of my pistol (Stoeger Cougar, 7 inch OAL) only bothers me when I'm sitting down, because this can cause the muzzle end of the gun to hit the seat and push the rest of the gun upwards.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Lackawanna County)

1911s are actually pretty easy to conceal, even full sized ones. being longer in the grip and slide doesn't necessarily make them bigger. compared to Glocks, revolvers, and other guns, they're pretty graceful in their shape. they're definitely slimmer than other guns, and lie flatter against the body.

i used to carry a S&W Sigma, which is about the size of a Glock 19, in its dimensions. i now carry a full size 1911, and it's easier to conceal. the right holster makes all the difference.

here's a holster i just picked up; it's an El Paso Saddlery IWB, called the Summer Cruiser.

i used it this weekend, while i was in the hospital, wearing nothing but a t-shirt over it, and no one seemed to notice. not nurses, hospital security, or LEO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast