Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Can CCing a 5"1911 be uncomfy ?

I CCd my 5" 1911 often before I decided to put it up for sale. I use a Blackhawk moulded holster and it's as comfortable as any other, weight not withstanding. I routinely carry my combat commander in a Fobus holster. I've never had any issue, clothing or otherwise, with the 1911s and know of nobody that has had either. The Government models are nice for CC as they are relatively thin and print well.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Allegheny County)

There are always holster suggestions, but the belt is just as important. Combine quality belt with holster and CC can be comfortable and almost unnoticeable.

(Mercer County)

I use a Colt Delta Elite as my main carry firearm. The Delta is 1911 Government Model in the 10MM caliber. Since the 1911 is a narrow firearm, it makes a great carry pistol if have good leather.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(York County)

with a proper holster and appropriate clothing ccing a government model 1911 isn't that bad. The worst part is driving for me. I drive a firebird Formula (v8 power!) and the bucket seats make it incredibly uncomfortable. It feels like the gun is trying to bend in half. but in my wifes car with regular seats it's not that bad. The holster I use is a clone of the crossbreed supertuck iwb. at first glance you would think it is a supertuck but i got it for $30 on ebay.

(Clarion County)

I have a taurus PT1911 as my main carry gun......I use a blackhawk serpa holster with the belt loop attachment and one hole toward forward angle..

Quote Originally Posted by Glock It View Post
    I am looking for a .45 ACP carry gun. I am leaning towards a G30SF but a 1911 is not out of the question. I have read more than once that ccing a 1911 can rub you,scrape you etc if you have love handles which I do. The beavertail can dig into sides it looks like.

Obviosusly the G30SF would cause no such issues. Has anyone had a 1911 that scratched them up to the point they didnt CC it anymore ?
    I'm a certified fat guy...I owned both a G30 and 1911. Both were acceptable for comfort, however I found that the 1911 was more comfortable due to the thin width. The G30 is thick and for me that contributed more to the comfort level than overall size or length. Switching from a Sparks Summer Special to a Versa Max II also helped. I generally wear something between my skin and the gun regardless of what I am carrying. I think you can be happy with either. A good solid belt helps too.

(Berks County)

I carry a 5" Springfield 1911 Operator in a out-of-waistband Serpa Blackhawk holster with untucked shirts of various kinds, in all weather, and never had an issue. Because it's OWB, it will print a bit if I bend or twist too much, but IMHO it's way more comfortable, and to be honest I've never had anyone approach me or question me about it. Most people aren't that observant or situation-aware, and if people do notice an object on your belt, they usually assume it's a cellphone.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Jefferson County)

I carry a full size S&W 1911 IWB without any problems. The main thing is a good holster (I suggest Pure Kustom--they are pricey but absolutely worth it; I can't say enough about mine, and Rocky is a great guy to deal with) and finding a good place to carry it for you. Everybody is a bit different, but I carry mine at 3 o'clock and it's pretty comfortable.

(Lackawanna County)

I just picked up a DeSantis Viper paddle holster with the thumbsnap for my Colt 1991 and Browning HP. Great holster, very comfy, very concealable under a coat or shirt.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

thansk for all the help guys. Well I went out and bought myself a shiny new in box Springfield GI 1911. Its just plain jane, old school and I LOVE it.

I took it for a quick test drive tonight at the local range and fell in love. Needless to say, this is the gun GLOCKS want to be when they grow up lol.

I sold my G27 today w/all my .40cal ammo along w/ a buch of mags.

I still have my G19 for my teen daughter and I will still probly keep my G29SF 10MM when deep concealment is a must but I see in the future no more Glocks but maybe an Ed Brown Kobra Carry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12