Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default PA finally getting act together for retired LEOs to conceal carry under LEOSA

Retired Law Enforcement Officers Identification and Qualification Processing Page

In-State Retired Officer Responsibilities

Steps for Retired Officers to follow when attaining a Retired Law Enforcement Officer Identification and Qualification Card (See 37 Pa. Code §221.31):

How do I obtain an Identification Card in Pennsylvania?

Contact the law enforcement agency from where you retired to request an identification card and pay the required fee.

How do I obtain a Qualification Card in Pennsylvania?

a. Complete the Retired Officer Concealed Carry Acknowledgement Form. It can be printed from the following link (MPO_RLE 9-100) or from the Retired Law Enforcement ID Act Forms page on this site.

b. Review and select a RLEIA certified law enforcement firearms instructor

(listed by county).

c. Present the completed Acknowledgement Form along with two forms of identification (your retired identification card and a photo identification such as a driver’s license) to a firearms instructor recognized under the Retired Law Enforcement Identification Act (RLEIA).

d. Leave the completed Acknowledgement Form with the firearms instructor.

e. Qualify on the prescribed course of fire and receive instruction on the use of

force for civilians.

f. Take the qualification card to the sheriff for processing and signature.

g. Remit a $5.00 administrative fee, in the form of either money order or certified check payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, to the Sheriff.

h. If the qualification card is lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated or becomes illegible, make a written request for a replacement card to a recognized firearms instructor and pay the appropriate fee for replacement. Take the replacement card to the Sheriff for signature.

(Erie County)

Default Re: PA finally getting act together for retired LEOs to conceal carry under LEOSA

Absolutely, about time.

It only took 4+ years to get to this!!???
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Berks County)

Default Re: PA finally getting act together for retired LEOs to conceal carry under LEOSA

While I understand retired LEOs are entitled to carry under LEOSA, I'm not exactly sure why it's necessary when LTCFs are, in comparison to other states in the Union, relatively easy to obtain in PA.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    While I understand retired LEOs are entitled to carry under LEOSA, I'm not exactly sure why it's necessary when LTCFs are, in comparison to other states in the Union, relatively easy to obtain in PA.
    so they can carry in states that do not honor PA LTCFs.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

LTCFs are only valid in reciprocal states while LEOSA is valid in all states (ex NJ).

ETA: LRT still types faster than me
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    Riiiiight...and now that they are mere citizens again since they retired, why do they need this "privelege" that is denied to the rest of us?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    LTCFs are only valid in reciprocal states while LEOSA is valid in all states (ex NJ).
    And Washington freakin' DC!

Not sure if that includes Puerto Rico, since it's a US Commonwealth???? Or how about the US Virgin Islands? Of course getting there with your gun could be a problem. But what if you're a retired US LEO living there?

The provision for retired LEOs to carry under LEOSA has been held up in PA for years as no set guidelines or provisions for cards and shooting qualifications had been set up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Riiiiight...and now that they are mere citizens again since they retired, why do they need this "privelege" that is denied to the rest of us?
    one rationalization i have heard is that their job necessitated making personal enemies of violent criminals (by arresting them) on our behalf, and we should not turn around and prevent them from being able to defend themselves against those enemies should they ever come in contact with them later in life.

ok. that's reasonable.

but, there shouldn't be any need for LEOSA because everyone who has not had their 2nd amendment rights stripped via due process should be allowed to carry everywhere--like the amendment actually says (right to...bear arms...shall not be infringed).
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; January 6th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

LEOSA is a 50-state CCW.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    Right, forgot about that. Thx. Although I agree with the majority sentiment here.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast