Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: dunnies

Default dunnies

i was born and grew up in johnstown, south fork area. spent the first 25 years of my life in this area. that was many years ago. i recall a place outside of johnstown named dunnies. their speciality was bbq'd ham on a hard roll. doe anyone recall this place? is it still there. the last time i was there was in the late 1940's. thanks for any information provided.
    heckler.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: dunnies

Buildings still there but there not . They've been closed about 40 years if my memory serves me .
    DAN

thanks for the information dan. i have looked everywhere on the internet with no success. your help is really appreciated. as i get older i seem to go back in time looking for things from my youth. you have been a great help,
    heckler.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    i was born and grew up in johnstown, south fork area. spent the first 25 years of my life in this area. that was many years ago. i recall a place outside of johnstown named dunnies. their speciality was bbq'd ham on a hard roll. doe anyone recall this place? is it still there. the last time i was there was in the late 1940's. thanks for any information provided.
    heckler.
    Dunnies is now an antique shop,,,has been for several years. The original Dunnies has been closed for MANY years. I grew up in that area.

Wow >>> blast from the past! We used to ride our Schwinn bikes there to get penny candy.

thank you CenterTree. i really appreciate the information. i didn't know that they sold penny candy but i'm glad that they did. you must have some good memories of the area, i know that i do. thanks again,
    heckler.

(Cambria County)

Welllllll, it's a long time after the question was asked but I can answer if anyone is still interested. Dunnies is no longer open. It's been closed since the 1960's as far as I know. It's a residence now. It's located on the left side of RT 271 South of Johnstown about 3/4 of a mile past the Menoher Heights fire hall and about a half mile before Pickin' Chicken (if you're goin' back that far in time.)

HTH

Rick

thanks rick. i really appreciate the information. i haven't been back to johnstown for many years but i still consider the johnstown area to be my home. thanks again for the information,
    john.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    as i get older i seem to go back in time looking for things from my youth.
    i do that too. im sure that the shrinks could explain why.