Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default H&R Model 365 Questions...

I recently purchased an H&R Model 365 "Reg'lar" .22 single shot rifle. It is in okay condition with some surface rust on the outside parts, but the rifling is strong and no pitting or rust inside of the barrel. The stock also has a crack which I am planning on gluing and clamping.

I have a few questions regarding it that maybe some of you can help me with.

Firstly, I know the gun works, but does anybody know where I can find spare parts should they be needed? A diagram of the rifle would be nice as well?

Is there anything stopping me from running 22 short or 22 long through it as well as 22 LR or is that not recommended?

The front sight was clearly knocked WAY out of position. I'm used to a fixed front sight. What is the best way to adjust the front sight given that it also has an adjustable rear sight?

That leads me to - The rear sight is a Lyman 55-H (as marked on the base) peep sight. Is there a replacement sight available that I could just put on for a standard sight without modifying the weapon? I have read that peep sights are supposedly more accurate, but I don't know how well it will work in low level light situations.

Any additional information you can tell me about this gun would be greatly appreciated. I looked on Google for some information, but was overwhelmed with hits...and most of the time with little information.

Thanks in advance,
    -Zach

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R Model 365 Questions...

If I remember correctly, the 365 is chambered for .22 Long Rifle. The Longs and Shorts are safe to use in it. I'd stay away from any of the "CB" loadings though because they are primer driven only and bullet will likely lodge in a longer rifle barrel. Prolonged usage of Shorts in the Long Rifle chamber can cause build up of fouling in the chamber requiring cleaning.

H&R 365 parts... Always check Numrichs for gun parts when in doubt.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=7989

How is the front sight attached? Screwed on? Dovetailed? If dovetailed, use a brass punch and a mallet and drift it back.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Thank you for the link. Lots of the parts are still available although not all of them.

the front sight is dovetailed. I tapped it back into place as best I could center it. But is there a more scientific way to determine if it is in the correct position?

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the 365 is chambered for .22 Long Rifle. The Longs and Shorts are safe to use in it. I'd stay away from any of the "CB" loadings though because they are primer driven only and bullet will likely lodge in a longer rifle barrel. Prolonged usage of Shorts in the Long Rifle chamber can cause build up of fouling in the chamber requiring cleaning.

H&R 365 parts... Always check Numrichs for gun parts when in doubt.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=7989

How is the front sight attached? Screwed on? Dovetailed? If dovetailed, use a brass punch and a mallet and drift it back.

(Jefferson County)

There are more scientific ways to get it to top dead center. Using a caliper to see if it is one way or the other too much while trying to make sure the rifle is straight up is about the simplest.

The most reliable way, and most fun, is to take it to the range and see where the bullets are flying. If the bullets are hitting to the left, you tap the front sight to the right a hair. Vice versa for the other way.. But usually you can eyeball the front sight's TDC location without getting technical.

Sometimes there will be an alignment mark on TDC of the barrel to reference to as well.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

your lyman should have screw in aperture inserts that were available in various diameters. in low light just remove the insert. in the dark, just point.

(Bucks County)

It has one such aperture and it is more or less the same diameter as the part it screws into. Any idea where I could get additional apertures?

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    your lyman should have screw in aperture inserts that were available in various diameters. in low light just remove the insert. in the dark, just point.