Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Just spotted a Bald Eagle

Not true. I lived in CT for a bit. There is a power plant on a river, damned if I recall the name, that gets dozens every winter. The output from the plant melts the ice and provides a great place for them to fish. Every winter, they congregate at this spot. The plant provides an observation area, and you can go watch them there.
    That sounds pretty cool, can you recall where in the state it is? I don't get up there too often now but that would be a fun sight to see. I love watching birds go fishing. I've seen eagles fishing a few times, and I'm always amazed at the huge fish they come up with.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    That sounds pretty cool, can you recall where in the state it is? I don't get up there too often now but that would be a fun sight to see. I love watching birds go fishing. I've seen eagles fishing a few times, and I'm always amazed at the huge fish they come up with.
    Google is your friend. Shepaug Dam in Southbury. Also check info for events in Essex on the Connecticut River.

Incidentally, the Bald Eagle is a nice looking bird and all, but it doesn't compare with the Golden Eagle. THOSE are beautiful.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I'm surprised you've never seen one in Monroe in 20 years here. I've been here 19 and have seen them on numerous occasions. A while back there were a few that I would see all the time near my neighbor
    As others have stated, it really depends on where you are looking. My wife used to see them frequently when she worked at Shawnee, next to the river, but I have only seen Bald Eagles on a couple of occasions. The last was this fall, in Sciota. We were setting up for an IDPA match and a pair of Bald Eagles was circling way up where I could just make out the white head and tail. Very Cool.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I've lived here just short of 20 years, I've never seen a Bald Eagle in monroe county.
    You need to get out more, lad!

Jah's right. We have one or two nesting pair here in Gouldsboro most years during the summer. Don't get many on the plateau once the lakes freeze up. If you want to see more, head up to Dingmans Ferry this time of year, up by the PAF&BC boat launch on the Delaware. That pool stays open more than the rest of the river. Eagles tend to congregate there. Not uncommon to see a half dozen at one time.

Maybe after the 22nd when it's lawful to carry in the Water Gap recreation area, we ought to have a PAFOA eagle/bird watching trip. I've got a spotting scope and a couple pairs of binoculars.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

I've lived here just short of 20 years, I've never seen a Bald Eagle in monroe county.
    My cabin is in Middle Smithfield, I've been seeing them for a few years now. Two summers ago ny wife was walking w/ me in Ivan Swamp Rd. and as we returned to the parking lot, a pair swooped overhead. She's Brooklyn born and never saw one before...

It is an awesome sight to see them just flying around...

Maybe after the 22nd when it's lawful to carry in the Water Gap recreation area, we ought to have a PAFOA eagle/bird watching trip. I've got a spotting scope and a couple pairs of binoculars.
    I'm definitely up for a PAFOA bird watching hike through the Recreation Area. I'm not sure when the best time of year to see Bald Eagles would be, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Google is your friend. Shepaug Dam in Southbury. Also check info for events in Essex on the Connecticut River.
    I've seen that Dam before, but only while driving past it. I'm familiar with the Essex area, and there are some cool things to be seen and done around there. If anyone is ever in the area I recommend checking out the Essex Steam Train. They do steam train and steam boat tours of the Connecticut River. The collection of vintage trains they have there is impressive.

(Monroe County)

Two summers ago, roofing a new 2story on the water in Indian Mtn Lks. We had one circling the lake and us, looking for fish.
    Not 10/12 feet over our heads. Huge 6ft plus wing span, larger than my outstreached arms. It spent about 15/20 mins circling.
    You don't get that close to nature w/o getting a little humble.............and nervous.

(Monroe County)

In November I saw two bald eagles over the Fish and Pay lakes on 115. I pulled over and watched them in the trees behind the lakes. What a sight! I've also seen them over E.S.U. in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    I saw a couple in Floriduh while at an outdoor wedding reception. Very cool.

(Wonder what bald eagle tastes like....)
    Probably like chicken, like everything else

(Monroe County)

Maybe you didn`t take time to look till you got older and now appreciate them. This is migration time. I think it`s February till mid March. head over to the water gap and you`ll see even more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast