Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Sig Mosquito or P22

I am looking at picking up either a Sig Mosquito or a Walther P22 and I wanted to see what the opinions were of people that own one. I am interested to hear about reliability. I know there are some older threads on this but I am looking for some more recent info.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig Mosquito or P22

Neither.

There is no reason to have a DA/SA rimfire autoloading pistol. Take a look at the Ruger Mark III or the Beretta Neos. Both are fine shooting plinkers.

There is little advantage in getting a rimfire pistol similar in size or composition as a carry piece. You have to train with the carry piece anyway, why not maximize your rimfire fun and performance.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Butler County)

In my experience the reliability of them is pretty much equal.

They both like high velocity ammo.

You should go handle the two of them and see which one you like better based on the ergonomics/sights/weight.

The P22 is a very tiny pistol and you may not like it if you have large hands.

Both of them are loads of fun.

(Monroe County)

the P22 works good if you feed it what it likes, take really god care of it to keep it clean, and follow the P22 Bible to fix some problems its known to have, as a precaution.

but seriously you shouldnt have to fix a gun before getting to shoot it. i sold mine because i out grew the fun factor of it. it was a spur of the moment purchase for a birthday. after the research i had done online, it seemed that the P22 worked better then then Skeeter.

i think from now on i will just stick to 22 rifles.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Ok, I don't own a Sig so I can't comment on those other than to say from what I read on here and other sites, They sound pretty close to the P22

Now I do own a P22 and can say it has been 100% reliable with zero Malfunctions, I bought it used so no idea how many rounds have been down the tube, I personally put 500 plus myself.

It's a fun gun and nothing more, not particularly accurate, just fun.

You should look into a Ruger Mark III 22/45 - I just bought a Target model OTD for $238 - That's about $100 Cheaper than a P22 - It is more accurate and probably more reliable in the long run down the road and while the P22 is a lot of Fun, The Ruger is not only a lot of Fun, But also a serious Target pistol if you want it to be. It is also a Steel receiver instead of the Zinc on the P22, Try them both and see what one you like better.

ps: The Ruger is something that will get passed down to your Grandkids if You ever have them, The Walther/Sig..I doubt they'd last that long.

TJ
    Recoil Happens

(Allegheny County)

i own the P22 and have shot 3 Sig mosquitos. the sigs were very reliable with everything we shot through them, the P22 works great, but once it gets dirty, it will stovepipe on me no matter what ammo i use.

now for a truely reliable pistol, go with the Ruger 22/45 or Mk III
    they will shoot no matter how dirty they get. i own the 22/45 and i haven't cleaned it in 3000 rounds. it still functions flawlessly and i run cheap ammo in it (federal bulk 550 count).
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Jettagls00 View Post
    I am interested to hear about reliability. I know there are some older threads on this but I am looking for some more recent info.
    What is it that you think has changed? I have owned both. I bought them for the threaded barrels. As has been mentioned, there are lots better .22s out there. The SIG was very picky, too picky for a plinker. I kept the Walther. It eats anything I put in it, and while it is not very accurate compared to my Rugers or S&W revolvers, it is a good size for my grandchildren to use.

If you want a good .22, a Ruger Mk series is hard to beat. I saw a used Mk II bull barrel in stainless steel at my local shop last week for $249. I had already spent my money, or it would probably be sitting in my safe now.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jettagls00 View Post
    I am looking at picking up either a Sig Mosquito or a Walther P22 and I wanted to see what the opinions were of people that own one. I am interested to hear about reliability. I know there are some older threads on this but I am looking for some more recent info.
    I have never shot the Sig, so I cannot comment on that. I do own a P22. It's a fun gun to shoot. I love mine. I plan to get another eventually. Mine is picky on ammo though. If you plan to shoot the cheap 550 round bricks of .22, then you might want to consider a different gun. YMMV. The best ammo I have found is the federal automatch in 325 round bricks... unfortunately, they quit making that ammo... the blazer round points work very well, as do any high velocity rounds I've tried. It does have an exceptionally small and narrow grip, but comfortable for its size. I also think it's the best looking .22 available.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    What is it that you think has changed? I have owned both. I bought them for the threaded barrels. As has been mentioned, there are lots better .22s out there. The SIG was very picky, too picky for a plinker. I kept the Walther. It eats anything I put in it, and while it is not very accurate compared to my Rugers or S&W revolvers, it is a good size for my grandchildren to use.

If you want a good .22, a Ruger Mk series is hard to beat. I saw a used Mk II bull barrel in stainless steel at my local shop last week for $249. I had already spent my money, or it would probably be sitting in my safe now.
    I think what the OP might have been referring to was any 'bug fixes' from earlier models.

I can't believe that little gun even fits into your hands.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I can't believe that little gun even fits into your hands.
    It looks like an NAA mini.

(Philadelphia County)

Had both.
    At least I could shoot bulk ammo in the P22.
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast