Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default williamsport 1000 Yard Benchrest Club?

anyone ever shoot there? was wondering if they ever just have open range days for members or if its a competition only range? i ask because i saw the place mentioned and checked out there website and the only info i saw was how to become a member and competition rules. would love to hear more about it.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: williamsport 1000 Yard Benchrest Club?

I don't shoot there but a friend does. John who runs Hunter Supply in Knoxville. Phone 814 326 4157. Hw says you don't need to be a member to shoot but non members pay more to shoot the Comp. He is a member and doesn't recall how much non members pay. He also said it doesn't cost anything to come and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Outlaw View Post
    anyone ever shoot there? was wondering if they ever just have open range days for members or if its a competition only range? i ask because i saw the place mentioned and checked out there website and the only info i saw was how to become a member and competition rules. would love to hear more about it.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Union County)

Arrow Re: williamsport 1000 Yard Benchrest Club?

Beautiful country up there. Seen and shot it several times many years ago.... can't wait to get back there this spring.

i dont mind buying a years membership i just want to be able to use the range. im not interested in competing at all tho and the only thing they give info about on the site is competitions. i'd like to just drive up and check it out but its 70 miles and gas and time isnt cheap i may have to call

any idea what all i'd need to shoot there besides the normal stuff i take to the local hillbilly range?

normal items
    gun/ammo duh
    rest
    paper targets
    membership card
    stapler for stapling targets to their rubber backboards
    spotting scope

i've never been to a nice range before.

(Union County)

Question Re: williamsport 1000 Yard Benchrest Club?

Are you familiar w/ F-class shooting? Ever shot 1K before? Spotting scope? Better be a DAMN good one to see holes in paper @ 1000. We used radios, not sure how cell reception is up there today, to call from the pit to the line and spotter sticks(red 2" dot on a stick to mark the hits). It is VERY difficult to shoot at that range w/o a spotter and /or a target puller. You need at least a spotter/pit-man to have a smooth, trouble-less experience. Care to elaborate on what you are gonna shoot as far as weapon, caliber, and target? Might help for making suggestions on gear and what not...

-Maxpower

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Are you familiar w/ F-class shooting?
    not at all.

Ever shot 1K before?
    no besides begging farmers to shoot in thier fields i havent had access to shoot anywhere over 200. thats why im asking all these questions about places with longer ranges. i shoot 2 days a week weather permitting but am limited to 200 yds and with that im limited to practicing the fundamentals. 200yds isnt long enough to learn about wind holdover and other aspects of shooting. i still enjoy the range time but i'm sick of reading about how to read the wind and adjust for it or range with a mil dot scope. i want to try it. you'll never get good at anything if you dont try it. reading about it only does so much.

Spotting scope? Better be a DAMN good one to see holes in paper @ 1000. We used radios, not sure how cell reception is up there today, to call from the pit to the line and spotter sticks(red 2" dot on a stick to mark the hits).
    thats why i made my list so folks knew exactly what im used to taking to the range so they could tell me what im missing. having a spotter is no problem, radios also no problem.

It is VERY difficult to shoot at that range w/o a spotter and /or a target puller. You need at least a spotter/pit-man to have a smooth, trouble-less experience.
    spotter will be no problem got a buddy that would love to go, he's been wanting to try longer ranges also. we've been thinking about going to Mifflin County Sportsman's Association range to work our way out. since i saw it mentioned and recomended. we'd been looking for a nearby place to go for months.

Care to elaborate on what you are gonna shoot as far as weapon, caliber, and target? Might help for making suggestions on gear and what not...
    for 1000yd i'd like to shoot mostly .308 bolt action and possibly a 6.5 creedmoor if dpms ever gets the kinks worked out of their rifle. i'd also like to try my AR-15 at 350 and 600yds

the .308 will be either rem 700 sps tactical or rem 700p(ill know which in the next couple of days). loaded with 180g nosler ballistic tips/varget the AR is a 16" bull barrel free floated 1 in 9" twist with a bill springfield worked trigger shooting 69g sierra match kings/varget

by spring i should have my second ar with will have a 24" free floated bull barrel with 1 in 8 twist and another bill springfield worked trigger probably shooting 75g A-max/varget.

as for targets i have no idea and could use some recomendations because i have no idea what would be the norm for a beginner.

(Lycoming County)

As a member of the Origional Pa 1000 Yd Benchrest Club, I would like to answer your questions. First of all, you do not have to be a mamber in order to compete in your first few matches. However, that is not what you want to know, right? A member is not required to compete. Other than during scheduled matches & certain holidays, you can shoot anytime you wish to. There are shooting hours in the rule book you will receive as a member. We have a great time and I personally find the friendships and scenic surroundings very healing mentally after a hectic week of work. Quite often, on weekdays and evenings, you will find several members, male and female, the young and the "wiser", shooting and trading lies. There are good restaurants and the lodging is reasonable. If you like to camp, as a member, you have the use of the club house complete with TV, showers and bathrooms. Help and/or suggestions can be had for the asking. We enjoy having visitors so come on up and hopefully you will become our newest member

Quote Originally Posted by lrbsniper View Post
    Other than during scheduled matches & certain holidays, you can shoot anytime you wish to. There are shooting hours in the rule book you will receive as a member.

I just received the rulebook for 2010, although I'm not a member (I applied last year but haven't given my dues for 2010), but the shooting hours only include weekdays and Sundays. What about Saturday? Is there no shooting allowed on the range on Saturday? I need to sight in my new rifle at the 100 yard range and I would like to give the 600 yard range a try as well. I know it's last minute, but I would like to go tomorrow. I'm just confused over whether or not the range is open for general shooting on Saturdays, and what the hours are.

(Lycoming County)

You can shoot from 9 am to 8 pm Monday thru Saturday and from noon till 8pm on Sunday. There are certain holidays that shooting is not allowed. You must be a member or be accompained by a member. There are three flags that need to be put out before you shoot and be put away when you are done. If you want to go up tomorrow morning early, call me at 570-279-1001

Bud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast