Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any former high school rifle team members?

Hello, I was a member of the Munhall High School Rifle Team from 1966 through 1968. We won a state title in 1966, regional title in 1967 and a WPIAL title in 1968. I was an All-Star my senior year (1968) and shot no lower than a 98 score my whole senior year, both in practice and in matches. I no longer own a firearm at the moment. I would love to hear from any former teammates or anyone who participated during that time frame.

(Wayne County)

My younger daughter mentioned joining our rifle team (North Pocono) this years with her one friend (the only 13 year old girl that I know with a custom AR).

I'll let you know in 3 months.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Tioga County)

I was fortunate to shoot on one of the best high school teams in the country with a long record of national success going back to the 1960's.

These days now that the old DCM is out of business and the US military dropped .22s from any inventory, most high school teams, especially those associated with JROTC have long since switched to air rifle from smallbore rifle.

If available at your school, I'd recommend it to any youngster. It's a team sport but also an individual sport. You learn how to focus your mind and body in ways you will not find in other sports.

(Westmoreland County)

Was looking up some high school rifle team stats and saw that Munhall in a 28 year span won the WPIAL 23 times.I shot for Fox Chapel and knew they were good in the early 60's but never realized they were that good.No school has ever gotten close to that record

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 100-10x View Post
    I was wondering if there are any forum members who were part of their high school’s rifle team. How did you do? What rifles did you use? Any interesting stories?
    I was on the Munhall High School Rifle Team '65-'66, state champs; '66-'67, division champs; '67-'68, WPIAL section champs. '67-'68 was my senior year and I was honored as an all-star and an "outstanding senior athelete", having shot a 98 or above my entire senior year, including practice and matches. I don't recall what brand rifle we used (Remington?). Many great memories of traveling and competing as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed111PA View Post
    I was on Union High School Rifle team (NJ) until about 1989.
    22. LR, I think I shot a walther but Im not sure - most adjustable rifle I've ever seen, lots of moving pieces in the stock. Used a "Cuff and sling", shot mostly prone but we did kneeling and standing matches also.

I have an award for 6th Place in the state at the championships in 1988 (had to quit early in 89 because work and gas for my car seemed to be a priority).
    I believe I shot a 197 out of 2 targets (combined) with 16X (dead-on bulls eye). Got beat out of 5th place by someone with same score 17X.

Our team was still undefeated for over 10 years and something like 120 matches when I was on there, we took it very seriously. Our Jr Varsity team took 2nd place in the states that year too

Our team was invited to shoot against a few NJ colleges, Texas A&M - Beat them all. We were also invited to the NRA building in washington dc to shoot against the 'big-wigs' there (prone) and took them to the cleaners also.

Lots of safety driven into my head during that time, which has never left (good thing!).

How things have changed.....remember my first day of High School here in NJ / Union 1965. I was at my locker when I look over and the fella next to me is putting a rifle case that he brought to school in his locker....I asked, if he had a rifle there and he told me there was a HS Rifle Team that met after school and took the school bus to a local indoor range to shoot .22's....remember going home and tellin' my Dad He eventually took me up there, rented a .22 and we shot together.....had a Great time too.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    My son will probably stay in Salisbury school district because of the rifle team. We were considering sending him to Central Catholic but they don't have a rifle team. He is looking forward to joining the team. (he is only in 6th grade now)

I have been meaning to get with the coach of the high school team to see what I will need to get for Jeffrey to get him started.
    Salisbury graduate here. That was a looooong time ago though. lol If they had a rifle team back then I didn't know anything about it.

(Berks County)

Central Bucks HS West, Doylestown. Range was in basement which was also the fallout shelter. I believe they were Anschutz single shots. Best shot on team was a girl, as is often the case. Plus in high school it was difficult for boys to lay prone.

(Lehigh County)

My HS building had a range in the basement, but no active team when I was there. I think I am one of the few who was ever in the room as is was used for storage. The building itself was a WPA project from the 1930s if I recall correctly.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

Not in the USA, but in the early 1950s in the UK, as part of the cadet corp, used to use a 100 yd range with Lee Enfields in 0.303. Then in university, shot for the University using BSA 12s and then my own BSA International Mk II that unfortunately I could not bring with me into the USA in 1968...think R K assassination. Dave_n

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast