Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Any former high school rifle team members?

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    It maybe a POS range, but Berwick is one of the top teams in the league.
    You are absolutely right. One of the best teams in the league all 4 years I shot. No arguments from me . And don't take it personally, I thought my own range was a POS too .

Quote Originally Posted by NevynPA View Post
    Did I shoot against some of you folks in the 2000-2004 years?
    I was on Salisbury's team from 2003-2007, so I'm sure you shot against me.

I'll try to post a pic of my team if I can find one.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Well....not HS but I did shoot in college - Lehigh University - '80-'84. They no longer have a team.

Funniest stories..........we had a "well-proportioned" blonde gal on the team.....quite the shooter too (must have helped having the built in natural supports in the various positions).

She was enough of a distraction that a single "sigh" from her during a match was enough to mess up the concentration, heart-rate and breathing of every warm-blooded male in the vicinity!

(Columbia County)

Yup! BHSRT has the use of the Nescopeck HUnting & Rifle Club Range, and we are glad to have it. The bathroom may indeed be an outhouse, but the team members have charactor. The team only gets 2-3 days of practice a week, since we are guest of the NHRC. And in the first 4 years of existance, the team went from the newest team in the league to League Champions and 3rd in the State in 2004. They had one Girl on the team who shot a perfect 100.0 average her senior year, in ALL the matches not just the 8 qualifiers.

I wonder what they could have done with 4-5 days a week to practice? And you know the team officials NEVER saw any of the targets from the Western PA teams that supposedly beat them? But anyone on Hi Power knows how the PRPA works. Especially the State HP Team....
    There is a great facility in State College that the 4H is allowed to make use of, a very nice indoor range. I think the state match should be shot shoulder to shoulder, at State College. Besides Frank is retiring and won't be doing the matches anymore. There goes Eastern Pa's last chance for any fairness.

The team uses Weirauch, Anschutz, FWB, Walther, Winchester, and Remington Rifles, Anschutz and Gehman Sights & gloves, Weller Slings, Champions Choice coats & mats, and various ammo.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.R.MAN View Post
    Yup! BHSRT has the use of the Nescopeck HUnting & Rifle Club Range, and we are glad to have it. The bathroom may indeed be an outhouse, but the team members have charactor. The team only gets 2-3 days of practice a week, since we are guest of the NHRC. And in the first 4 years of existance, the team went from the newest team in the league to League Champions and 3rd in the State in 2004. They had one Girl on the team who shot a perfect 100.0 average her senior year, in ALL the matches not just the 8 qualifiers.

I wonder what they could have done with 4-5 days a week to practice? And you know the team officials NEVER saw any of the targets from the Western PA teams that supposedly beat them? But anyone on Hi Power knows how the PRPA works. Especially the State HP Team....
    There is a great facility in State College that the 4H is allowed to make use of, a very nice indoor range. I think the state match should be shot shoulder to shoulder, at State College. Besides Frank is retiring and won't be doing the matches anymore. There goes Eastern Pa's last chance for any fairness.

The team uses Weirauch, Anschutz, FWB, Walther, Winchester, and Remington Rifles, Anschutz and Gehman Sights & gloves, Weller Slings, Champions Choice coats & mats, and various ammo.
    Welcome to the forums! Are you on the team now, a former member, or a coach?

I was in my high school rifle club back in the early 70's. It was school-sponsored and a teacher served as our 'leader'. We only had competitions among our own members, but it was always a lot of fun.
    In those days it was perfectly normal for members bring their rifle to school and leave it in the car because we went straight to the range after class.
    We shot at Kimberton Gun Clubs 50' indoor range for NRA light rifle qualifications. I earned Sharpshooter.
    Last edited by arks; January 7th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

(Beaver County)

im 26. The sanity in the state was all ready well decayed when I was in highschool. No highschool I knew of had a shooting team. Hell, I got suspended once for drawing a weapon in school. drawing with a pencil. It was a 38 snub nose.

(Columbia County)

I'm just a guy who knows the history of the team and who shot which rifle... I know who shot the bastard, who shot the treetrunk, and who bought their own and never shot well with it. I know who made goofy noises and who rode with her mother to all the matches....

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.R.MAN View Post
    I'm just a guy who knows the history of the team and who shot which rifle... I know who shot the bastard, who shot the treetrunk, and who bought their own and never shot well with it. I know who made goofy noises and who rode with her mother to all the matches....
    And who walked uphill to practice in snow or rain. My hat's off to you, sir. I shall always have the highest respect for everyone involved in the team.

(Bucks County)

My high school didn't have a range or team but Easton Fish and Game sponsored a group of Jr. Sharpshooters w/ DCM winchesters, heavy barrel w/ peep sights. We used to practice alot and shot a few matches against another team that used the Bethlehem indoor PD range on Buttermilk Rd near the sewer plant. They had a few kids w/ the Anschutz target rifles and they knew how to use them...

When I went to the Univ. of Scranton they had a team and a range in the student center sub-basement. It was dominated by the ROTC kids [I was a few years after they dropped manditory ROTC] so I didn't have a chance...

A few years after I graduated they remodled and made the range area into a 'Rathskeller' and in the past year or so built a new student center and tore the old one down...

It is good to see that a few schools still have teams.

(Chester County)

I'm proud to say that my high school still has a team, but they're only 1 - 4 for the season so far.

http://www.highschoolsports.net/defa...-1&division=-1
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast