Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Any former high school rifle team members?

Quote Originally Posted by kutblok View Post
    Was on the rifle team at Bishop Egan HS in 61 & 62 I think. (It was a few years ago.) We used .22 rifles with heavy barrels and peep sights provided to us at matches and practice by the District NRA man. His name Dixon Blanchard. Maybe somebody out there's great grandfather. He delivered the rifles and ammo to us in his Woodie. Probably CMP stuff. Our best shot was a girl from Conwell HS. Matches were 4 position.
    WOW...I went to Bishop Egan HS 84-86, we moved so I didn't graduate from a catholic school. I cannot remember for the life of me if there was still a rifle team or not while I was there. I don't believe so because if there was one...I would have been on it!

A bit of trivia........there are more indoor Rifle Ranges in the basements of High Schools in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. I believe I read an article years ago documenting that there were about 9,000 rifle ranges in basements of HS's throughout the U.S. (most are now used as storage or defunct) I know that the new HS in my district was just completed a few years ago and the idea was spoken about at a few meetings during the planning stages, but it was never approved as our HS doesn't have a rifle team any longer.

Anyone ever wonder why there were no school shootings and mass murders back then? Kids were taught responsibility and respect and the meaning of what it takes to be proficient with a firearm. Kids today are only taught that they are 'bad'.

(Delaware County)

I shot for 2 years on the JROTC team at my HS in Florida. We did not have a range but were 8 miles from an Air Force base so we got to use their outdoor range. A neighboring high school had a really nice indoor range in their JROTC building. They were a small public HS but some how had this great JROTC setup.

I started out just doing prone then gradually moved up to 2 position then 3 position. I enjoyed it a lot. We had a guy who was simply pronominal. He was national champion multiple times in air rifle and .22. This was the late '70s. He never shot with us which was fine with me and my buddies.

I was on the rifle team in HS for a year and a half, can't remember scores or the type of rifles, but like others said it was 50 feet with a 22 from prone. I was alright, but the other guys on the team were a lot better. I ended up dropping out because of some personal family stuff going on at the time, but it was fun while I was in it.

This was at East Stroudsburg North, which is only 10 years old or so. Really nice range, with separate storage areas and locked doors to all the rooms. It was on the main floor near the back lobby of the school, not hidden away in the basement. It's fairly unmarked though, so unless you were on the team no one really knew it was there. I've talked to people who also went there who never even knew we had a range.
    Last edited by NShortino; January 5th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I was on the rifle team in HS for a year and a half, can't remember scores or the type of rifles, but like others said it was 50 yards with a 22 from prone. I was alright, but the other guys on the team were a lot better. I ended up dropping out because of some personal family stuff going on at the time, but it was fun while I was in it.

This was at East Stroudsburg North, which is only 10 years old or so. Really nice range, with separate storage areas and locked doors to all the rooms. It was on the main floor near the back lobby of the school, not hidden away in the basement. It's fairly unmarked though, so unless you were on the team no one really knew it was there. I've talked to people who also went there who never even knew we had a range.
    I've shot there before and yes, it is a very nice range. I also always liked Stroudsburg's range a lot. Both were a lot better than Salisbury's. And it's 50 feet, not yards
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

And it's 50 feet, not yards
    Oops. That's what I meant. I fixed it in my post now.

Some of the other ranges we went to in high school were pretty nice. East Stroudsburg South had a nice range, which was under their stadium if I remember correctly, but I think it has been redone since then (along with all their athletic facilities) so I'm not sure how it is now. I remember a few schools we traveled to had some shady ranges. I can't recall the school but one wasn't in their school but in a ratty old barn across town. Made me appreciate the new facility we had at Eastburg North.

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    Oops. That's what I meant. I fixed it in my post now.

Some of the other ranges we went to in high school were pretty nice. East Stroudsburg South had a nice range, which was under their stadium if I remember correctly, but I think it has been redone since then (along with all their athletic facilities) so I'm not sure how it is now. I remember a few schools we traveled to had some shady ranges. I can't recall the school but one wasn't in their school but in a ratty old barn across town. Made me appreciate the new facility we had at Eastburg North.
    I figured it was a typo , and I believe the range you're thinking of is Berwick lol. What a POS range. Their bathroom was a hole in the ground lol.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I figured it was a typo , and I believe the range you're thinking of is Berwick lol. What a POS range. Their bathroom was a hole in the ground lol.

It maybe a POS range, but Berwick is one of the top teams in the league.

"Some of the other ranges we went to in high school were pretty nice. East Stroudsburg South had a nice range, which was under their stadium if I remember correctly, but I think it has been redone since then (along with all their athletic facilities) so I'm not sure how it is now."

The range is now alongside the stadium.

(Bucks County)

I was on the CB West HS rifle team in 1985 through about 1987. Then they gave our basement range to the Football team for a weight lifting room and sent us to Target World to shoot, then if I recall correctly shut down the rifle team. I can't recall if I switched to doing Winter Track instead of Rifle the year they shut it down or the year before. I couldn't stand Target World even back then. Of course this being 20 years ago, I forget the model of rifle or my scores. It was a single shot .22lr rifle and I believe we shot at 50ft range.

Offtopic:

I do remember watching the Challenger explode on a TV in Target World while waiting to shoot.

(Huntingdon County)

My high school did not have a rifle team (nor did any in the region that I know of).
    What we had were local 4-H rifle clubs. We would shoot and compete against other clubs, have shoot offs etc.
    4 position, 50 foot - standard fare.
    The club provided the rifles if we did not have one - Winchesters I think they were.
    We were allowed to buy our own if we wanted.
    My dad and I picked up a Mossberg 144 that has the most incredible tiger striped wood stock that I have ever seen.
    When we got it - it had been used for years for grocery matchs, and had the trigger modified so that when the bolt closed - it fired.
    NOT safe for 4-H, so we had the trigger pull put back to stadard target rifle level.
    I used it for years and did well with it and still have it.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    It maybe a POS range, but Berwick is one of the top teams in the league.

"Some of the other ranges we went to in high school were pretty nice. East Stroudsburg South had a nice range, which was under their stadium if I remember correctly, but I think it has been redone since then (along with all their athletic facilities) so I'm not sure how it is now."

The range is now alongside the stadium.
    Hey now! We managed to at least get a rifle team started! I was there for the inaugural year of BHSRT (2000), and stayed on the team all 4 years. First year we were still figuring things out, but did okay. Anschutz rifles, as well some other middle-euro brand (Einrock? Wyrock?).

Did I shoot against some of you folks in the 2000-2004 years?

I'm a right-hander, but I shoot lefty. I had a left-handed stock, and a right-handed Anschutz barrel/action, with Leupold sights. They called it "The Bastard Rifle." I loved that gun.

I actually wore my Berwick Rifle Team knit hat to work today...

I'll agree that the Nescopeck range could use some "updating." If they'd open up memberships and get some new folks in, I think that the members could turn it into a much better place - but they don't like to let people join.
    Last edited by NevynPA; January 6th, 2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added more info

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast