Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Any former high school rifle team members?

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I loved my coaches on the team and I am still somewhat in contact with them. The coaches have been from the Dorney family for as long as I can remember and I believe Samantha Dorney is currently the coach. Unless you want to spend a lot of $$$ you don't need to get him anything. They have everything you need. Rifles, ammunition, jackets, gloves, and hearing protection.

Salisbury's range is still in the basement
    The range in the basement is for practice only right? I thought they go to Hellertown for matches... I could have mis-read the papers Jeffrey brought home.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    The range in the basement is for practice only right? I thought they go to Hellertown for matches... I could have mis-read the papers Jeffrey brought home.
    For all 4 years of HS, practice and matches were in the basement at the school. I know they are remodeling the High School right now so I believe they are using a range in Hellertown for the time being. I believe Southern Lehigh also uses the same range in Hellertown for all their practices and matches.

I haven't really been following the whole high school renovation project but I believe they will be moving back into the High School when the renovations are complete, or at least I hope so.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I managed to make some quick scans from my year book and a newspaper clipping. Hope this works:

[ATTACH]Attachment 13494[/ATTACH]

In the newpaper clipping I am the young guy on the left, and in the year book picture I am top left behind the spotting scope. I still wish I look like that I am 17 years older, balder, and 100+ pounds heavier.
    Last edited by egon12; January 31st, 2011 at 09:26 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by egon12 View Post
    I was on the Penn Hills rifle team all four years of high school. I graduated in 1993. 1993 was also the last year that they had the team. The school had old Winchester 52d's and there were a few Anschutz rifles as well. I used my own personal Anschutz during the season that I still own to this day.

The 50 ft range was in the sub basement that ran parallel to the steam tunnel and it was hot as hell down there and tight as can be. If I remember right it had five shooting lanes and was at most 12-15ft wide. When you had practice you had five shooters and 4-5 spotters all scrunched up in a tiny little area. It was like a dream come true when we had matches at Mt.Lebanon, Plum, and Indiana; you could actually move around and have some breathing space. The Indiana range was one of the weirdest places that I ever shot. I think it was a converted barn or something, because it was cold in there in the winter time. There were support posts scattered though the range that you had to shoot between. And, there was a red line down near the targets. If you shot above the red line, which was only a few feet above the floor, the bullet would exit the building because there was no backstop.

I have some pictures from the good old days, and if I can find them I'll try to post them.

Jeff

I shot for Plum. Yes, I do remember a hot as hell cramped space they called a rifle range.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

Wish my school district had a rifle team when I was a kid. I shot smallbore 3 and 4 position at local clubs and continue to shoot some 4p at a local league. As I got older I became involved with Highpower rifle (service rifle primarliy) and I have been shooting that seriously for about 15 years now.

You guys should dig out your gear and compete again. All the smallbore gear is perfect for National Match Course (NRA Highpower rifle).

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca Arms Co. Inc. View Post
    Wish my school district had a rifle team when I was a kid. I shot smallbore 3 and 4 position at local clubs and continue to shoot some 4p at a local league. As I got older I became involved with Highpower rifle (service rifle primarliy) and I have been shooting that seriously for about 15 years now.

You guys should dig out your gear and compete again. All the smallbore gear is perfect for National Match Course (NRA Highpower rifle).
    After a 15 year haitus, I did discover the wonderful world of highpower. I have a lot of fun shooting the highpower course, and the fundamentals that I learned back in high school are still with me today. I just wish I still had my 18 year old eyes, the targets are getting more blurry as the years go by.

(Philadelphia County)

Was on the rifle team at Bishop Egan HS in 61 & 62 I think. (It was a few years ago.) We used .22 rifles with heavy barrels and peep sights provided to us at matches and practice by the District NRA man. His name Dixon Blanchard. Maybe somebody out there's great grandfather. He delivered the rifles and ammo to us in his Woodie. Probably CMP stuff. Our best shot was a girl from Conwell HS. Matches were 4 position.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by egon12 View Post
    After a 15 year haitus, I did discover the wonderful world of highpower. I have a lot of fun shooting the highpower course, and the fundamentals that I learned back in high school are still with me today. I just wish I still had my 18 year old eyes, the targets are getting more blurry as the years go by.
    Well I hope you are planning on shooting at New Holland this year (if you have not already)

john

(Centre County)

I was on my varsity rifle team during my senior year, back when NY was less of a weenie state. The coach would actually give us a brick of ammo to take home for shooting on our own on weekends.
    I had a US gov't supplied Remmington heavy-barrel and an Anschutz. Although the Anschutz was sexier, I shot better with the Remmington. My ranking oscillated between 3rd and 4th on a 24 member team, with the top 12 competing for points and lettering. One starter, and two other shooters were girls. Our team was very good, but not a championship squad.

(Allegheny County)

I was a member of Steel Valley's rifle team for four years. SV only had a single WPIAL championship, in 1986, but it was Munhall High that dominated the scene for awhile. In a span of 27 years, Munhall won 23 times. (SV was formed from the Munhall, Homestead and West Homestead school districts, circa 1971). I graduated in 1993, and we still used the Winchester 52 B's, C's and D's that Munhall used. We had only one Anschutz. We shot 50 foot prone, in the range beneath the cafeteria of the middle school.

I recall being traded for two bullets. At the time, you needed ten shooters to compete in a match, and Washington High only showed up with nine. Since I was in 9th grade, and only on the JV team, my coach decided to "trade" me to them. The kicker was, I shot the best score for their whole team (100-9X)!

It's a shame SV's and other local teams have went the way of the dinosaur. Being on that rifle team was one of the best times I had in high school.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast