Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving to PA for school, PA residency question

Hi everyone, i came across these forums in my search to find out about concealed carry in pennsylvania. I live in Maryland but will be moving to Pennsylvania next fall to attend graduate school. I will be living on my own and would like to obtain a concealed carry permit in Pennsylvania, however from what i have been reading in Pennsylvania law, non-residents cannot obtain permits in Pennsylvania unless they posess a similar liscense or permit in their home state. Im sure most of us know that in Maryland, that is almost impossible for the average citizen. So obviously i will not be able to obtain one that way. I will be living in the area for 2 to 3 years, so my question is, what is the quickest and simplest way for me to be able to claim residence in the state of Pennsylvania? Does being a full time student in the state constitute residency or is there any way for me to claim a temporary residence in order to obtain a permit? Ive been searching but law answers arent always that clear to me. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Moving to PA for school, PA residency question

Rent an appartment and get your drivers license changed to Pa. That should about cover you.

BTW: Welcome to PaFOA.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Alternative would be a FL, VA, or UT nonresident license, which would also give you Delaware.

Voting is a biggie....go to the county where you will reside in PA and register to vote!!! Get that registered voter card for PA.

(Montgomery County)

Last time I tried to boot an "X" , I was told as long as she had clothing there and received one piece of mail in her name at the address , that was considered residency. I also know that Reading FF'ers used to do similar at an address in the city for the residency requirements for the job.

If you are living here for school , get something in your name, ( utility , cell phone , lease, which sounds like will be happening anyway.....) and get your address on a PA DL and you will be golden.

Thanks for everyones input on the subject. It sounds like a matter of simply having some type of written documentation in my name that shows im going to be in the state for an extended period of time, which shouldnt be too much of a problem. My only other question is, and this may sound dumb, but there is no specific amount of time you must reside in the state before you are in fact considered a resident?

I'm sure you could ask someone what the specifics are in government or whatever. But way I understood things during the last census, they counted full time students because they were here 9 months out of the year. They of course, like you said, received mail, etc.

So way I see it is if your living here, getting mail here, and are here majority of the year...that's enough. Changing your DL couldn't hurt either, but I have no clue if that's a requirement.

Not really worth it for a permit...just get a Utah/Florida permit and be done with it. Very little work and no ambiguity there.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Rent an appartment and get your drivers license changed to Pa. That should about cover you.

BTW: Welcome to PaFOA.
    Did the same thing.

(Bucks County)

Whether you rent an apartment or live on campus, you will have a PA mailing address. Change your drivers license to that address. Then you are a resident.

The question is...surprised nobody has asked...what county is the graduate school located in? That will determine what you need to apply for the LTCF. It is supposed to be uniform throughout the state...but alas....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast