Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 ?

(Luzerne County)

Default AR-10 ?

Any of you out there know anything about an Armalite AR10? I am thinking about one or the type by DPMS. How much is it like an AR15-223? Will the magazines between the DPMS and the Armalite exchange? In general are they both good quality firearms? I have Springfield M1A's. Are they just as good? You don't see many AR types in 308.

(Berks County)

Default Re: AR-10 ?

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Any of you out there know anything about an Armalite AR10? I am thinking about one or the type by DPMS. How much is it like an AR15-223? Will the magazines between the DPMS and the Armalite exchange? In general are they both good quality firearms? I have Springfield M1A's. Are they just as good? You don't see many AR types in 308.
    Honestly, if you want a no shit will work all the time 308 AR that will not break the bank, get a DPMS, or the Remington 308 version. I say Remington as well because it takes the same mags as the DPMS because, it pretty much IS a DPMS rifle. I have shot an AR-10 and while it was not a bad rifle, the DPMS in my opinion is better made, more readily available aftermarket parts, and cycles much smoother. The DPMS and Armalite AR-10 magazines will NOT interchange with one another so you buy one, you are stuck with those types of magazines.

DPMS is the choice to go with, but I am not sure how far behind they are on production. I have been looking to do one piece wise for a while now, but do not have enough scratch to put one together. Another thing too, you can look into more readily available magazines such as the G3 magazines. Cmmg is now making a lower reciever that is compatible with a DPMS 308 upper that will take the G3 magazines. All you need to to is have the upper SLIGHLTY modified for the magazines and you are good to go. You can see the recievers here: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...110685&cat=98&. You can still buy those G3 mags by the grosse for a good price. And if you want to you can get a good 308 Magazine for the DPMS that you can find here http://www.botachtactical.com/cpr720ma.html that is MUCH less then what Armalite charges for their stuff.

All in all, the 308 AR is pretty much the same in operation as the AR-15 but it has (obviously) more recoil to it, but QUITE manageable. Now in regards to the perfomance of an 308 AR and a M1A? The M1A has it in functionality, but will never hold a candle to a DPMS or even an AR-10 when it comes to accuracy. Now you can more then definately tweak an M1A to shoot sub MOA, but believe me....you are going to pay for it. And with the price to accurize an M1A to be on a level playing field with those two 308 AR's you can buy two to the one for the M1A. Clear advantage all around for the DPMS 308.
    Last edited by Konsukah_19; January 4th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

I have this DPMS in 223..bought about 10 year's ago & have never had a problem.I've shot 5..shot 1 1/2 spread at 300 yds. with Federal Gold Match. I wanted 223 over 5.56 cause there are plenty higher end factoy ammo load's & Plentyful. I don't reload ( NO PATIENCE)

You could also get it in 7.62 x 39 & could take advantage of surplus ammo, if you wanted to. More ammo choice's :-)
    Last edited by Ronnies111; January 4th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

I have a DPMS .308 sportical that I built

C Products mags are the way to go , $15 a pop.

recoil is OK in carbine form with an M4 stock , mine hasn't missed a beat.

seriously thinking about putting some decent glass on it and getting a free float set up.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    Honestly, if you want a no shit will work all the time 308 AR that will not break the bank, get a DPMS, or the Remington 308 version. I say Remington as well because it takes the same mags as the DPMS because, it pretty much IS a DPMS rifle. I have shot an AR-10 and while it was not a bad rifle, the DPMS in my opinion is better made, more readily available aftermarket parts, and cycles much smoother. The DPMS and Armalite AR-10 magazines will NOT interchange with one another so you buy one, you are stuck with those types of magazines.

DPMS is the choice to go with, but I am not sure how far behind they are on production. I have been looking to do one piece wise for a while now, but do not have enough scratch to put one together. Another thing too, you can look into more readily available magazines such as the G3 magazines. Cmmg is now making a lower reciever that is compatible with a DPMS 308 upper that will take the G3 magazines. All you need to to is have the upper SLIGHLTY modified for the magazines and you are good to go. You can see the recievers here: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...110685&cat=98&. You can still buy those G3 mags by the grosse for a good price. And if you want to you can get a good 308 Magazine for the DPMS that you can find here http://www.botachtactical.com/cpr720ma.html that is MUCH less then what Armalite charges for their stuff.

All in all, the 308 AR is pretty much the same in operation as the AR-15 but it has (obviously) more recoil to it, but QUITE manageable. Now in regards to the perfomance of an 308 AR and a M1A? The M1A has it in functionality, but will never hold a candle to a DPMS or even an AR-10 when it comes to accuracy. Now you can more then definately tweak an M1A to shoot sub MOA, but believe me....you are going to pay for it. And with the price to accurize an M1A to be on a level playing field with those two 308 AR's you can buy two to the one for the M1A. Clear advantage all around for the DPMS 308.
    If only Remington would make them without that gaudy camo to make them more Fudd friendly... Hell, I'm as straight as an arrow but I'd sooner have a pink AR10/15 than their abomination.

Its not like the deer cant see the blaze orange or the zombie cant smell your brains anyways..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Both DPMS and Armalight are fine rifles. DPMS is much less money and I have heard nothing bad the DPMS only good things. Im also considering an AR10 and when money permits will go DPMS. das

I own the bottom of the barrel DPMS Sportical .308. Great gun, got me addicted to the AR platform since it's pretty much the same thing only bigger. I think I have about 600 rds through the gun. No problems at all. Groups about 1-1 1/2 in at 100yrds using cheap Wolf or mil surplus ammo. Only had a case get stuck in the chamber once due to shitty Wolf ammo but not the gun's fault. I also own a DPMS .223 probably around 1k rds shot through the gun. Groups 1 in at 100yrds. Had an issue once with it short stroking and not feeding the next round. Problem was solved by disassembling the bolt and cleaning like you're supposed to.

Some people trash DPMS, maybe since they are cheaper but I think they are good quality and reasonably priced. Customer service seems really good too.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

i've owned a dpms ap4 and armalite ar10 and both rifles were top quality and 100% reliable. the magazines are not interchangable and the armalite mags are a little more expensive than the dpms. having owned both i would recommend the dpms over the armalite only because the dpms doesn't cost as much as the armalite. if you live within driving distance of classic pistol check them out because i saw two nice dpms 308 rifles in stock a week ago.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If only Remington would make them without that gaudy camo to make them more Fudd friendly..
    Krylon, camo form, or duracoat are all your best friends in that situation
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    Krylon, camo form, or duracoat are all your best friends in that situation
    But still... $1500 for a $1000 rifle that you still have to apply your best Rattle Can Rembrandt impersonation is ridiculous. lol

BTW, I'm looking at a DPMS AR10 come tax season. But I'm still trying to talk myself into something other than my favorite single shot H&R and NEF guns that I always buy.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast