Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Ruger Bearcat Safety Recall

My dad just gave me the Ruger Bearcat he's had since he was a kid. I love this little pistol!! I brought it home, cleaned it up, and looked up the serial number to date it and find a manual for it. According to Ruger's website, it was manufactured in 1966.

While looking it up I saw that Ruger has a safety recall on it. Has to do with it possibly going off if you drop it (if the hammer is resting on a cylinder with a round in it). Anyway, I was looking for opinions here. Should I send it back to Ruger and have them install the parts that prevent this or leave it alone? For collectability, they return all original parts.

Because of its age and the connection to my father that I have through this pistol, it will likely be a safe queen until I pass it onto one of my kids, only coming out to be cleaned and admired, and maybe to the range once or twice a year.

All comments are greatly appreciated!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Ruger Bearcat Safety Recall

You may not plan on shooting it at this point. But when it is passed on your kids may. Since they return all of the parts I say have the work done.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for your opinion Normanvin!

Will they service the pistol too? I mean I cleaned it, but I did not disassemble it. I'm wondering, when they have it torn down, will they clean and lube everything up and comment on its condition?

Thanks again!

(Luzerne County)

I have not had to send anything back to ruger. It is my understanding that they will put it back to original condition.

Give it some time. Others will respond to your question also.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lawrence County)

I think you should leave it as is.
    The condition is inherent of the single action design.
    That is why single actions were mostly carried hammer down on an empty chamber.
    If it is now an heirloom, just teach your kids proper handleing of the single action designed guns.

(Cumberland County)

That's one vote to return and one vote to not return. I'm still on the fence.

I may call Ruger and find out what all is involved with the "modification". If there is any filing, grinding, material removal or addition I think I'll pass on it. If it is a matter of replacing a part or two, then maybe I'll do it. I also want to chat with them about whether or not they go over the pistol's condition while they are in posession of it.

(Allegheny County)

Dogs should be walked and guns should be shot.

Have the work done and shoot the gun. Your dad would want you to enjoy it.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

I'd hold off and do some more research, I'm not a Ruger expert by any means, But I have heard of some of those Bearcats being worth more than others. I think it has to do with the screw patterns used, not sure though.

There are a few Ruger Forums that may be of help:

www.rugerforum.net
    www.rugerforum.com

Ruger tends to be very cautious of legal action, they were one of the first companies , if not thee first to put the billboard warning on the side of their firearms advising reading the instruction manual before using. At least as far back as 1980.

Their recalls in my opinion always seem to be a precautionary move, rather than a reactionary type. I heard, but it's only hearsay that it took them something like 600 tries in their lab to duplicate getting the SR9 to fire when dropped, and supposedly they were only able to do it once. like I said I'm not sure if that story is true or not, But Ruger seems to be extremely afraid of lawsuits and I guess I can't blame them in this sue happy world we live in.

They make a better quality product than most, so if your Bearcat is just a run of the mill type, I'd get it fixed and shoot it, I wouldn't want my guns sitting forgotten in someone's safe, that's what Savings Bonds are for. If it turns out being worth something more, I'd probably hold off until you know for sure bringing it up to modern Ruger standards doesn't destroy any value it may have.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Berks County)

My Dad has a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the same recall on it.

He isn't going to get it done. They return the original parts, but it still affects the collectability value if altered.

(Northampton County)

I wouldn't, the gun is fine the way it is. Load one, skip one, load the rest. Bring the hammer to full cock and then lower it on the empty chamber. Also don't lower the hammer from half cock on any "old" style single action revolver. Always bring it to full cock and then lower it. Among other things, this prevents the turn line on the cylinder.
    There is nothing wrong with these guns at all. Some people just don't know how to drive them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast