Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Ruger Bearcat Safety Recall

Thanks to all for your replies and opinions. I think I'm going to take it out this weekend and put a couple rounds through it and think it over.

For the time being, since I just got it, I think I'm going to keep her intact, get comfortable with her, and take everyone's opinion to shoot it more often than originally planned. I have no intent for this to be a carry piece so the only time it will ever be loaded is when it will be pointed down range so I'm growing less and less concerned over any "safety issues" the recall addresses. I do however plan on giving Ruger a call to discuss the work, more out of curiosity than anything else.

Thanks again to all!

(Centre County)

Ruger has had this "recall" going on for many years for all of their single action handguns. New model Rugers have a transfer bar to allow the cylinder to be fully loaded. If you call Ruger I believe they will send the necessary paperwork to you to ship it back to them for the installation of the new parts. When the gun is returned to you it will include all of the old parts in case someone wants to change it back to the original configuration (for collectors reasons). The repairs cost you nothing.

The Ruger website completely explains the who, what, where, when, how to have this accomplished.

The Bearcat is a fun gun to shoot, don't make it a safe queen. Now this is just me, I don't buy guns hoping they will increase in value, I buy them to shoot. If the value increases, great, if not, so what. Also remember, when collecting guns their value is only what someone else will pay for it.

I am a big Ruger fan (own 16 all together, 12 handguns) and having the new system won't affect the collectors value because you get the original parts back. Ruger collectors know this and when they are sold, traded, etc., the original parts are always included.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

i don't believe any ruger firearm can be considered a collectors item with additional value attached to it like a ww2 era 1911 or P08 so my recommendation is to send it in and get the upgrade. when ruger fixes the gun just request the original parts be returned with the gun. why risk a possible accident now or sometime in the future? firearms are made for shooting so get some ammo and get that baby out to the range and put some rounds through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12