draco.jpg

I picked up a Draco AK Pistol at the Allentown Gun Show after Christmas. I took it home, cleaned it up, mounted a sling, swapped the grip, liberated the muzzle and refinished the wood.

I took it out to the range the other day and damn, this thing rocks and rolls! Slow fire, rapid fire, garbage ammo, beat to hell mags and all..not a single hiccup.

My only issue is the sights. Don't get me wrong, they work fine, but even with a sling it's not exactly easy to aim this thing. I've decided I'll have to mount some kind of optic on it but I'm not sure how I want to do it.

I could get some of the railed handguards, but then I would lose the look of the wood, which I'm partial to.

I don't think there's enough clearance for a barrel mount.

Top cover replacement mounts work fine...until you remove them and need to re-zero.

The solution I think I've come to is to have a scope-mounting plate installed on the receiver. That way I can get a quick detach mount for optics when I want them, but can easily take them off if/when necessary. I have the plate, but I don't have the know how or tools to do it myself. At least I don't think I do, and my regular gunsmith says he can't do it.

If there's clearance for a barrel mount, I'd go that route for simplicity, but I don't have one to check.

Anybody have any suggestions? Or recommendations on a Gunsmith/Builder in the Harrisburg area who would be willing/able to mount the plate?