Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draco AK Pistol

(Lancaster County)

Default Draco AK Pistol

draco.jpg

I picked up a Draco AK Pistol at the Allentown Gun Show after Christmas. I took it home, cleaned it up, mounted a sling, swapped the grip, liberated the muzzle and refinished the wood.

I took it out to the range the other day and damn, this thing rocks and rolls! Slow fire, rapid fire, garbage ammo, beat to hell mags and all..not a single hiccup.

My only issue is the sights. Don't get me wrong, they work fine, but even with a sling it's not exactly easy to aim this thing. I've decided I'll have to mount some kind of optic on it but I'm not sure how I want to do it.

I could get some of the railed handguards, but then I would lose the look of the wood, which I'm partial to.

I don't think there's enough clearance for a barrel mount.

Top cover replacement mounts work fine...until you remove them and need to re-zero.

The solution I think I've come to is to have a scope-mounting plate installed on the receiver. That way I can get a quick detach mount for optics when I want them, but can easily take them off if/when necessary. I have the plate, but I don't have the know how or tools to do it myself. At least I don't think I do, and my regular gunsmith says he can't do it.

If there's clearance for a barrel mount, I'd go that route for simplicity, but I don't have one to check.

Anybody have any suggestions? Or recommendations on a Gunsmith/Builder in the Harrisburg area who would be willing/able to mount the plate?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Draco AK Pistol

I am not from your area so I cannot suggest a capable smith but here are a few other ideas for you that may help you with your ghetto blaster.

I would just get one of these:
    MPK2 mount
    http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html
    Anyone with a limited amount of skill should be able to install one of these, and surely any smith could.

B-Square makes (or at least used to) make a side mount set up that bolts on using special bolts that replace the trigger and hammer pins.
    Should be an easy install for just about anyone.
    The only thing I remember about them that I didn't like is that it is on the right side and makes the safety a little hard to get at.

Also, there are double and tri mounts that clamp around the barrel under the gas tube that are only a couple inches long. With some creative adapting, you should be able to get a forward mounted optic out there.

MoJo makes a rear peep sight.

Last is a mount that replaces the rear sight with a rail and a set screw. I can't remember who makes them.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah ... pistol AKs aren't know for great accuracy. The combo of short sight radius and not being able to shoulder them are the root causes.

If your trying to keep the wood HGs, I would go with the scope mounts that 39flathead suggested http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html

Congrats on the purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Berks County)

Very nice! How much were they going for? I am thinking of picking one up.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Mine was $389 at the Eagle Arms table. For that price I couldn't say no. Online dealers have them for around $350, but by the time you pay for shipping and a transfer the $389 was a better price than that.

They're a lot of fun to shoot and will accept standard akm furniture and attachments--highly recommended.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I am not from your area so I cannot suggest a capable smith but here are a few other ideas for you that may help you with your ghetto blaster.

I would just get one of these:
    MPK2 mount
    http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html
    Anyone with a limited amount of skill should be able to install one of these, and surely any smith could.

B-Square makes (or at least used to) make a side mount set up that bolts on using special bolts that replace the trigger and hammer pins.
    Should be an easy install for just about anyone.
    The only thing I remember about them that I didn't like is that it is on the right side and makes the safety a little hard to get at.

Also, there are double and tri mounts that clamp around the barrel under the gas tube that are only a couple inches long. With some creative adapting, you should be able to get a forward mounted optic out there.

MoJo makes a rear peep sight.

Last is a mount that replaces the rear sight with a rail and a set screw. I can't remember who makes them.
    Tantal has a threaded base on his site that could be a good option, I'm just not crazy about drilling the receiver myself, I all else fails that will probably be the route I go. Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

You mentioned you have a plate already, which one?
    Some of the after market ones are thicker and you could tap it & screw mount it.

(Philadelphia County)

I dont think drilling and tapping the reciever is a good idea,
    The reciever is only about 1mm thick.
    Peter

(Lancaster County)

Pred if your post is commenting on mine just above, the side rail gets tapped and the screws come from inside the receiver into the rail.
    This doesn't work with most (if not all) the origonal rails, they are thinner and won't give much area for threads.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun-pis-2.aspx

$329.99
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast