Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G36 reliabilty

(Allegheny County)

Default G36 reliabilty

The G36 is a very attractive platform.

Ive asked and heard that they "have issues" and can be "problematic".

well, what issues ?
    what do you guys know about them ?

They have been out a while, and I cant imagine GLOCK hasnt fixed any issue they may have had early on.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: G36 reliabilty

I've had 2 over the years. Bought one of the first I could find. It wouldn't work 100% with JHP of any kind. Ran 100% with all FMJ I tried though. Bought another one a few years later and it was 100% with JHP and FMJ, but the recoil assembly came apart after about 300rnds. Got a few new ones from Glock and ran another 150rnds without any problems. Traded a friend for a 30 for capacity issues. That was the extent of my G36 experience. I'd buy a current production one if I needed a little/mid size .45. I'm just more of a G30 fan though. Seems wise to avoid early production G36's from stuff I've read on other forums though. Common problems were feed issues, and Glock did change the feed ramp design between first year production and later ones. The recoil assembly breakage did affect other mini-Glocks for a brief time period back then too, not isolated to the G36. Those were the main ones I believe.
    Last edited by DBZ220; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:04 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I know some of the early ones had problems with magazines, and some wouldn't feed HPs, etc. I've had mine for two years and no problems. However, I did what I do with all my Glocks, +10% Wolff mag springs and replaced recoil guide & spring assembly. FWIW, I carry mine every day.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

I have shot 2 in my time and all went fine, though it was probably no more than 50rounds between the two. I also know 3 or 4 LEOs that carry them as BUGs on duty, and then off duty who are happy w/ them. Though the only way i'd go g36 over g30sf was if I was going to ankle carry it.

Not sure why your ass hasn't tracked sgt down for his yet, and personally if its good to go for him its good to go for me.
    Last edited by XD45; January 3rd, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

(Delaware County)

I was looking at the G36 awhile back myself and, like you, saw a bunch of problems reported when I did my research. I know count myself among those who have a fanatic, cult-like love for my G30 I held them both together at the shop and, while the 30 is definately larger, its not THAT much larger. For instance, I don't see anything you cant do with the 30 that you can with the 36. I dont think the 36 is a real, viable pocket gun, and that to me would be the only advantage. If your going to carry IWB/OWB anyway, why not add have a few extra rounds, dead-nuts reliablility (and peace of mind thereof) and IMHO the most accurate of all Glocks. Thats what I did and I'm very happy with my decision!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I have shot 2 in my time and all went fine, though it was probably no more than 50rounds between the two. I also know 3 or 4 LEOs that carry them as BUGs on duty, and then off duty who are happy w/ them. Though the only way i'd go g36 over g30sf was if I was going to ankle carry it.

Not sure why your ass hasn't tracked sgt down for his yet, and personally if its good to go for him its good to go for me.
    IIRC G30SF is 1.27 and G36 is 1.13
    not huge, but for what I want it for slim and light is what I need. Caliber isnt that big of a concern, nor cappacity. Im replacing a 5-shot snubby so Im up on cappacity iether way, and would like to keep weight down.

I had pretty much decided to go G26, so I hadnt tracked sgt down. But now Im reconsidering. I may just hit Anthonys tomorrow and run a box or two through one.

My main concern is will it run?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    If your going to carry IWB/OWB anyway, why not add have a few extra rounds
    My primary carry gun is a full size 1911, the niche I need to fill is for times when concealment is paramount and clothing is restrictive. Like when me and the lady go dancing.

That had been a snubby, but Im just not feeling it. I shoot it well, and its a great wheel gun and all, but Im just not cormfortable with the grip.

I just wannna know if they'll run.

seems the early issues where mags and ramp then, and these have been solved.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    My primary carry gun is a full size 1911, the niche I need to fill is for times when concealment is paramount and clothing is restrictive. Like when me and the lady go dancing.

That had been a snubby, but Im just not feeling it. I shoot it well, and its a great wheel gun and all, but Im just not cormfortable with the grip.

I just wannna know if they'll run.

seems the early issues where mags and ramp then, and these have been solved.

I hear ya. I dropped the snubby as my BUG as well, I just could never shoot the thing very well. Like you said, Glock is a 1st class company that butters its bread in reliabilty. If there were any issues, I am sure they have cleared them up. I would say just vet the gun as usual until your comfortable carrying it (500 rounds ball, 200 rounds carry HP without incident for me) and I think it will run just fine. On another note, I got to shoot a Kahr PM45 the other day and liked it very much. It was a range gun, dirty as hell, and I put 200 rounds of ball through it like clockwork. Speaking relatively, many have issues with that gun as well but mine ran great. I say go for it, buying a Glock is never a bad decision!!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    The G36 is a very attractive platform.

Ive asked and heard that they "have issues" and can be "problematic".

well, what issues ?
    what do you guys know about them ?

They have been out a while, and I cant imagine GLOCK hasnt fixed any issue they may have had early on.
    its funny you posted this becaue i've been doing online research myself over the last couple days and obsessing over whether to get the G30, G30SF, or G36. I have not found a place that has the G30Sf yet. I just know I really like the idea of a glock subcompact .45. I hope to find a range in my area this week that I can hold and try all three. Let me know what you get and how you like it.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Luzerne County)

I have had a 36 for a few years now. I carry and shoot it regularly. No issues at all. Good gun.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast