Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G36 reliabilty

Default Re: G36 reliabilty

A friend had a 36 when we first started shooting together and I couldn't make that thing hit for anything. Couldnt hold it well...the grip was really awkward to me. I've never like glock grip angles in general, to boot this one was a little more elongated as well.

Moved over to a 1911 and made hits every time at the range.

I have my revolver for concealment but will likely leave that to the wife as I'm moving over to a 1911. Im a fat guy so I can conceal fullsize well enough for my needs. I doubt I'll ever get her carrying outside the house so I can use the 38 as needed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    A friend had a 36 when we first started shooting together and I couldn't make that thing hit for anything. Couldnt hold it well...the grip was really awkward to me. I've never like glock grip angles in general, to boot this one was a little more elongated as well.

Moved over to a 1911 and made hits every time at the range.

I have my revolver for concealment but will likely leave that to the wife as I'm moving over to a 1911. Im a fat guy so I can conceal fullsize well enough for my needs. I doubt I'll ever get her carrying outside the house so I can use the 38 as needed.
    1911's are slim, they conceal great. Yes, they are a "full size" gun. but the dimensions makes them much easier to conceal than a full size GLOCK G17 , HK45, or any of the myriad other full size or "service" size pistols out there.

Ive seen a number of very nice 1911's go up for sale in our classifieds here lately. 45ACP ammo is still a bitch to find at a decent price if you dont reload, but......... thats why I also have a 9mm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    1911's are slim, they conceal great. Yes, they are a "full size" gun. but the dimensions makes them much easier to conceal than a full size GLOCK G17 , HK45, or any of the myriad other full size or "service" size pistols out there.

Ive seen a number of very nice 1911's go up for sale in our classifieds here lately. 45ACP ammo is still a bitch to find at a decent price if you dont reload, but......... thats why I also have a 9mm 1911
    I plan on running a half a case through whatever 1911 I buy to vet it and the last 50-100 will be JHPs for carry, but I favor TAP defensive loads so I'll probably start there.

I'm leaning towards a RIA 1911 or a STI Spartan or a PT1911, all the recent models have good reviews but I'm still doing my research.

(Allegheny County)

the TAP rounds have a very friendly feed profile

(Luzerne County)

About the Glock 30 - a bit wider than the 36 and six ounces heavier (holds more rounds if that is important to you).
    About the PPS - if you handled it and liked it....great. It is about the same weight unloaded as the G36. Loaded, it'll be similar or a bit heavier. The PPS is only 0.09" narrower than the G36 (less than 1/10th"). Not enough to be concerned about and.......it is not a .45.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; January 5th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Montgomery County)

Just got back from Targetworld in Chalfont where I rented the G36. I really, really wanted to like this gun. In fact, I wanted to like the G30 even more but I held it in my hand and it just seemed to wide. So I passed on renting that one and rented the G36. I was surprised at how accurate I was with it at 10 yards. Very tight grouping just a hair to the left of the bullseye with a couple right in it. However, I had a stovepipe, and the a couple failure to feeds (out of 50 rounds of 230 grain PMC ammo). I was freaking shocked. I own three glocks and never had anything like that happen with any of them.

Now I don't know if it was because this was an early model like mentioned previously in this post or what. I really was ready to buy one if i liked the test run because I obviously love the glock platform and was looking for a .45 cal handgun. I left feeling a little disappointed. Does anyone think the new ones are free of this problem?? By the way I don't believe this was due to limp wristing. Any input??

I may just have to scap the .45 idea for now and continue saving for my AR..but I really wanted both..
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

If I were you and you wanted a Glock 45 for CCW, I'd get a G30 or G30SF. I have a G30 and it conceals very easy, but from the sounds of some of your responses reliability seems to be your concern.

The track record of the G30 is very good, G36 had some issues and for this reason I did'nt get one. I'm sure Glock addressed the issues and the newer ones should be gtg, the G30 never had issues that I'm aware of, plus 10rnds of 45 is a good option to have.

You can also look into picking up a HK P7 PSP, the prices are in the 600-700 range, these guns hold 8+1, very thin, very safe, and very easy to conceal, and will go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Only down fall is they are an all steel gun and a little heavier than the ones mentioned.

(Westmoreland County)

The G36 is no different than any other "itty-bitty" .45 ACP caliber platform. The smaller you try to make a .45 ACP, the more likely you'll encounter engineering problems relating to inertial dynamics.

In the case of the G36, the magazine is an especially problematic component.

(Luzerne County)

Any input??
    As I wrote in my earlier post, no problems with mine.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123