Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Gun dealers? Indoor ranges?

I live in Exeter, and need a gun dealer to do registration transfer paperwork for me.

I have a revolver and a Luger inherited from my father. I also found an air pistol - that doesn't need registration, does it? Nor does any rifle?

Was going to use that guy at the gun shop in Mt. Penn, even through he seemed like a dick, but now he has been arrested for officially being a dick, so I need a new place to get info and help.

I am also looking for an indoor pistol range. It's too cold for outdoor ranges, even though they are cheap and convenient.
    Liberal female handgun owner. Newbie. Need skills, practice, gun savvy.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Gun dealers? Indoor ranges?

Gun Traders on Rt. 61 in Muhlenberg or Cabela's.

(Chester County)

Pa has NO registration - ony a 'SALES' database. If the handguns were truly an inheritance then, as I understand it, there is no Pa paperwork or FFL required. I am presuming you are not a prohibited person.

18 Pa CSA §6115. Loans on, or Lending or Giving Firearms Prohibited.

(a) Offense defined.—No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.

(b) Exception.—

(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of a firearm under 20 Pa CS. Ch. 21 (relating to interstate [sic] succession) or by bequest if the individual receiving the firearm is not precluded from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105

IANAL

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Matriarchy View Post
    I live in Exeter, and need a gun dealer to do registration transfer paperwork for me.

I have a revolver and a Luger inherited from my father. I also found an air pistol - that doesn't need registration, does it? Nor does any rifle?

Was going to use that guy at the gun shop in Mt. Penn, even through he seemed like a dick, but now he has been arrested for officially being a dick, so I need a new place to get info and help.

I am also looking for an indoor pistol range. It's too cold for outdoor ranges, even though they are cheap and convenient.
    For an indoor range, the only other one I am aware of is all the way down in Pheonixville, French Creek Outfitters.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Pa has NO registration - ony a 'SALES' database. If the handguns were truly an inheritance then, as I understand it, there is no Pa paperwork or FFL required. I am presuming you are not a prohibited person.
    I don't think I am prohibited. They gave me a concealed carry permit.

That guy at the Mt Penn gunshop led me to believe I had to transfer the guns into my name, as my mother's POA, in order to own and use them. I do not believe any were previously registered. My dad has been dead for over 25 years, and bought the revolver at Nichol's that used to be on St Lawrence Ave.

Well, that saves me a step, if that info was wrong. Guess I just need to find some instruction and an indoor range, now. And probably something besides a tackle box to carry it around in.

(Berks County)

More newbie questions: Why are there so few indoor ranges? Why don't any of the rod an gun clubs appear to have indoor ranges?

(Berks County)

More newbie questions: Why are there so few indoor ranges? Why don't any of the rod an gun clubs appear to have indoor ranges?
    I suppose facilites and such can get expensive, not just to build but also to insure.

Well, you don't need a 100 yard range for (most) pistol shooters. Yes, some gun shops do have indoor range and they'll be mainly used for self defene training/practice. The typical Rod and Gun Club however will probably have a 50 and 100 yard range and and trap shoot areas, these are more 'hunting' oriented and are much more valuable for those who want to 'site-in' a hunting rifle or 'plink' away for hours with the typical 22 rifle.

On the other hand it would probably be very difficult if not imposible to find an indoor range that could accomodate a hunting rilfe. In fact, many hunters would love to find a place to shoot with 300 yards or more and that's not likely to be indoors.
    Last edited by twoeggsup; January 4th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

(Berks County)

That guy at the Mt Penn gunshop led me to believe I had to transfer the guns into my name, as my mother's POA, in order to own and use them.
    Well, just how they came to you might be a bit out of the ordinary if you are talking your mother's POA and your father being dead for 25 years. As mentioned, there is no 'registration' although the State Police keep a 'sales database' to get around the no registration allowed in PA issue.

See the Sticky at: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/414...nsfers-pa.html

(Chester County)

That guy at the Mt Penn gunshop led me to believe I had to transfer the guns into my name, as my mother's POA, in order to own and use them. I do not believe any were previously registered. My dad has been dead for over 25 years, and bought the revolver at Nichol's that used to be on St Lawrence Ave.

Well, that saves me a step, if that info was wrong. Guess I just need to find some instruction and an indoor range, now. And probably something besides a tackle box to carry it around in.
    If you have an LTCF and have had no criminal charges since its issue you would not be a prohibited person.

Unclear exactly from whom you obtained the guns. If your mother inherited them from you father's estate and she now wants to give them to you and she and you are PA residents then there is no transfer, FFL or paperwork required.
    I presume she is still living since you have a POA.

If you inherited the guns from your father's estate, ie you got them from the executor via will or intestate succession, there is no FFL or paperwork required.

If you are getting them from your living mother and she is out-of-state then an FFL is required. If she is a PA resident - no FFL or paperwork required.

For the air pistol, there is no paperwork regardless of the source or intra/interstate.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

I guess I still consider them to be my father's, but technically, they are my mother's. When dad died, they legally became my mother's guns, along with everything else he owned. She has no interest in them and had them stashed. She is alive but no longer competent, and we are cleaning out her house. She still lives here. I want the guns; my brother does not.

I would have to handle the transfer as her POA, if paperwork were required. But it sounds like it is not.

Thanks for the explanations, folks. Every little bit helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast