Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Scope for my M1A

I'm looking for a decent scope for my M1A national match. This will be the first decent scope I have ever bought. The one on my Ruger 10/22 is a Tasco from Wally world.

I've been looking at Trijicon accupoints, because I like the tritium reticle. They're super expensive though, which does put a damper on things. I don't mind spending the extra money for a better scope, but, is the extra money really worth it for the quality of the scope? Maybe a Leupold instead?

If anyone can offer me any suggestions or provide a direction on where to go it would be greatly appreciated!!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Scope for my M1A

It would be helpful to know what you are going to use your M1 for, as well as your budget.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    It would be helpful to know what you are going to use your M1 for, as well as your budget.
    I will be using it for long range shooting, i'd like to get started doing some high power matches. As far as budget is concerned, the Trijicon accupoints are around $600 and I don't mind spending around that much if the scope will be worth the money. If they're overrated then I'd obviously wouldn't mind spending less than that.

(Jefferson County)

I think you'd be happy with a Trijicon Accupoint. I'd suggest the 3-9 power. 3x is low enough magnification that you have a good field of view for things nearby, while 9x should easily be high enough magnification to shoot out to 4 or 500 yards. I also like mildot reticles with .1 mil-radian turrets for easy followup shots.

YMMV!

(Allegheny County)

I have had very good luck and experience with Nikon's scopes. They're crisp and clear, excellent optics, and less expensive than Trijicon or Leupold.

Those Accupoint scopes do look really nice... I've thought about getting one too, but the premium they charge for the tritium and fiber-optics is prohibitive. And in my opinion, Leupold is over priced simply because of their name, much like buying a BMW, Ferrari, etc. (meaning that the quality is there, but the price is unnecessarily high).

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50SF on low rings, and it's been working great. I have it on a Springfield 3rd gen scope mount, and at short range, I can still use the irons underneath the mount and scope. If you want to see the irons more clearly, you can always get a scope with a smaller objective (Nikon has one that is x42). I spent less than $500 on mine , while similar Leupold scopes range from $550 on up to $950 or so... Yes it's not a "tactical" scope (like the Leupold mk4 series), but I don't need one, so no point spending 2x the money on one.

(Jefferson County)

I definitely wouldn't recommend a low-end Leupold. I've read about tons of issues with them and they aren't any better than scopes that cost less. Trijicons are at least more robust optics for the money.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    I definitely wouldn't recommend a low-end Leupold. I've read about tons of issues with them and they aren't any better than scopes that cost less. Trijicons are at least more robust optics for the money.
    Yeah, like I said, I have no problem paying more if the product is really that good. I just don't want to fork over $700 for a scope that won't last me for a LOOOOOONG time and has crappy optics.

(Berks County)

If money is not your only concern and you really want a fantastic optic I recomend without any hesitation IOR Valada. If you are only shooting high power and have no ambition to try three gun or multi range courses you can obtain a 10x IOR for around $600 if you hunt around.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
    If money is not your only concern and you really want a fantastic optic I recomend without any hesitation IOR Valada. If you are only shooting high power and have no ambition to try three gun or multi range courses you can obtain a 10x IOR for around $600 if you hunt around.

Maybe in the future I may shoot some three gun, but for right now high power is probably what I'll be focusing on. I've heard many good things about IOR scopes, but mostly about the CQB one. I'll check that one out, thanks.

(Delaware County)

I was just curious, what mount do you plan on using for the M1A? I recommend the ARMS #18 or Fulton Armory mount. They have worked very well for me in the past. Unless your gun has the extended cluster rail system in which case you won't need a mount.

I really like Nikon and Burris optics but the Trijicon is an excellent choice too.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast