Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Signage Pros and Cons

I'm interested in the thoughts about signage such as "we don't call 911" (usually with a drawing of a firearm) or "insured by smith&wesson", etc. What say ye?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Signage Pros and Cons

Do you meansomethinglike a bumper sticker? I have never been big on stuff like that.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

I think that's basically equivalent to putting up a sign that says "We have $1000 cash under our mattress".

Any crook who sees that will just wait until you're not home and will be sure to bring an extra big crowbar when he comes back.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(York County)

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

My great aunt Catherine had a sticker on the door of her house that pictured a Colt .45 on it. Underneath it said, "The owner of this house is armed and dangerous. There is nothing inside worth risking your life over."

Aunt Catherine was about 4' 10". She lived way out in the sticks, with the closest neighbor hundreds of yards away. She kept a loaded .22 rifle by the door. One day, she discovered some kid trying to break into the door of the house - the one with the sticker. At this point in her life, she was in her mid 70s, and had just had cataract surgery. This was back when one had to wear an eye patch for a while.

So this guy is trying to get into the house. Aunt Catherine comes flying out the door, eye patch and rifle, waving it at the guy and screeching like a boiled cat. He left. In a hurry.

Does the sticker help? It didn't in this case. But at least, it let the guy know what he was getting into.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Ok. hows this.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

I'm curious if a sigh like that could get you in any legal trouble if you had to defend yourself.
    An insurance company once told me that "beware of dog" signs were implying that I knew my dog is dangerous. They suggested I replace them with "dog on property" signs.
    Could those signs be used against you as far as your "intent" on shooting someone?

(Westmoreland County)

I think those kinds of signs have the potential to cast one in a very bad light. Even if no criminal charges are filed against you, the standard of "guilt" in civil cases is much lower than criminal trials and issues like those signs will only serve to work against you because they will be taken out of context.

IMO they also indicate an immature attitude regarding the use of lethal force.

I recall a thread on another forum where homeowners had their land posted with similar signs and they actually opened fire on a father and his pre teen sons riding quads. They killed one of the children, were arrested and charged. Dunno the outcome but there is probably a good chance they'll lose everything they own once the civil suit goes to trial.

I don't think making a "statement" is worth the risk.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Johncj5 View Post
    Could those signs be used against you as far as your "intent" on shooting someone?
    IMO, most certainly. It indicates premeditation or at the very least, predisposition.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Do you meansomethinglike a bumper sticker? I have never been big on stuff like that.
    I was thinking more along the lines of stickers and such on a house.....but yeah, bumperstickers count too.

Myself, I don't want to do too much advertising of my stance to a criminal looking for a score at my home when I'm not there. But I do like the basic sentiments of such signage. I just think it's more productive to lock and alarm the house and keep the good stuff locked up tight. I'm also curious as to how LE sees such things and the effect it may have if a self-defense occurred.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast