Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Question on in state transfer

I am reading a lot about face to face transfers of firearms not requiring any registration papers with a dealer or the state. Do I have that right, or is it just the federal ATF law that says that? Does the state still require registration and background checks for all transfers of rifles or shotguns even when done between two PA residents?

I'm checking because I don't want to "think" I know the law these days. I lost the right to have one I bought from a dealer when the ban went into effect . All I read at the time of the ban said it was grandfathered, but that proved not to be so. The class 3 was purchased from the manufacturer, but apparantly it doesn't matter if I purchased it legally?

Thank you.
    Last edited by enviroman22; October 3rd, 2006 at 01:06 AM.

(Berks County)

In PA face to face rifles and shotguns OK.

Handguns need to go through an FFL. There may be another option... I'm not sure. Sheriff's office?

As far as the second part, I'm confused... the 1994 ban had nothing to do with Class III firearms.

The 94 ban had nothing to do with class III...I'm not sure where you are getitng your information from, but I can assure you that the information that you were given is incorrect. I don't know the details of your class III purchase, but I highly doubt that you purchased it legally from the manufacturer...if you did as claimed...that company would be out of business. Dan has class III items and you should ask him directly...but the information that you are giving to us is not correct.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by enviroman22 View Post
    The class 3 was purchased from the manufacturer, but apparantly it doesn't matter if I purchased it legally?
    How do you get a Class 3 weapon and not know the laws or process behind getting it??
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

You are really confusing....what factory...most manufacturers do not allow a customer to just "walk in" and buy directly from them...so your story doesn't make ANY sense to me. What length barrel does the shotgun have? If it's less than 18" there is no way you bought it directly from them YESTERDAY. If you don't know the laws...you certainly should not be buying ANY firearms until you fully know what you are getting yourself into...please clarify what factory you purchased this shotgun from...because I wasn't born YESTERDAY.

Why is it that I've asked you to tell us who the manufacturer is and you continue to avoid answering the question. In all of your ramblings...let me get this straight...you purchased the shotgun in 1993 and you just took it back yesterday to have it refinished? Why did you wait so long to register this shotgun?
    Last edited by aubie515; September 27th, 2006 at 12:14 AM.