Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Recent marriage & need for new LTCF?

Hey guys... I searched the forum but couldn't really find a definitive answer to this question, so here goes...

I've had my LTCF for approx. 8 yrs now (and naturally, I went through the whole renewal process several years ago), and I guided my then-girlfriend (now wife) through gettting hers about 1 1/2 yrs. ago...

My wife has her LTCF under her maiden name, and we got married in October 2009. Is there any legal need (or logical reason) to immediately get her a new LTCF? (For simplicity's sake, let's assume that she intends to lawfully carry ASAP)

Part of me thinks it could wait until renewal time (and save $$ too), but then I realized that her name listed on her LTCF wouldn't match her name on anything else she has now (SSN card, PADL, etc), except maybe her credit cards... And perhaps that would pose a problem?

I mean, it -should- be obvious to any authority to whom she presents the LTCF that she's the correct person, as the photo would show, but I wouldn't want to get caught up in a legal jackpot, over a matter of $50 or whatever the cost is nowadays for a renewal.

Any advice or information greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bones

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Recent marriage & need for new LTCF?

i would wait until it's time to renew it. does she have anything at all with her maiden name on it? if so, i'd have her carry that, in case a LEO does give her a hard time.

Find out what your SO charges for a replacement card. Most likely, she'll need to take your marriage certificate down, they should be able to issue a replacement card then and there, for their nominal fee. It's not like they need to redo the background check....It will really depend on their current policies.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in PA View Post
    Find out what your SO charges for a replacement card. Most likely, she'll need to take your marriage certificate down, they should be able to issue a replacement card then and there, for their nominal fee. It's not like they need to redo the background check....It will really depend on their current policies.
    a replacement or renewal costs the exact same amount as a new one, and yes, they will do the PICS check again. that's not up to the sheriff to make a choice about. which is why i suggest you wait. her LTCF is still valid, regardless of what anyone may tell you, and when i say anyone, i mean LEO.

i've moved three times since getting my LTCF; i had two different LEOs say that i was required to renew, but they were wrong. i don't need to renew until 2012.

(Bucks County)

Has she changed her drivers license yet? If not that still has her maiden name on it...if she does change the DL keep the old one...

I wouldnt worry about changing the LTCF...how many times does it even get seen...

OH...and CONGRATULATIONS!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    a replacement or renewal costs the exact same amount as a new one, and yes, they will do the PICS check again. that's not up to the sheriff to make a choice about. which is why i suggest you wait. her LTCF is still valid, regardless of what anyone may tell you, and when i say anyone, i mean LEO.

i've moved three times since getting my LTCF; i had two different LEOs say that i was required to renew, but they were wrong. i don't need to renew until 2012.
    I actually went to get my LCTF yesterday. There were several other people at the office doing the same thing. One was getting his renewed, one was getting a new one, and one had lost his card. While the renewal's cost the same as the first time, the guy who had lost his only paid $15 and I was standing there when he specifically asked if he had to fill out the paperwork again (the answer was no - they just made him a replacement card).

Call your local sheriff's office and explain your situation. See what they say. Honestly, worst case, you have to spend a couple bucks...

If she decides not to bother changing the name, I would definitely have her carry her old DL that has her maiden name on it (again just in case).

by the title of this thread, I thought you needed a LTCF as protection from your new wife

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    by the title of this thread, I thought you needed a LTCF as protection from your new wife
    Not yet...still newlyweds...

(Bucks County)

Montgomery county is tough. When I lost my LTCF was lost I had to pay and go through the whole process again. If I was going to call down to the Sheriffs office I would probably ask them in a hypothetic way. When I lost my wallet they wanted to cancel my card over the phone. I told them that I would call them back if I had not found it and they got all worked up about it. I wound up finding it and saved the 47.00.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    Montgomery county is tough. When I lost my LTCF was lost I had to pay and go through the whole process again.
    Bingo... And this is mainly why I ask... My renewal was treated as a totally new application a couple yrs. back (and they have not historically been overly-cooperative or pleasant with me), so I'm not quite sure what to expect... I might well end up ultimately needing to call them and hope that they do not provide bogus information just b/c it benefits the MontCo Sherrif's coffers...

Thanks for all the replies thus far, guys... Any further replies welcome!

Regards,

Bones

ETA: She does have her old DL w/ maiden name, but it is technically an expired license, I believe, since she has an updated DL w/ her married name... Hmmm.....
    Last edited by JoeyBones; December 31st, 2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: more details added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast