Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home Security Systems

Over Christmas, I was discussing buying an alarm system for our home with my wife. And sure as the Amen in church, Carl mentioned security systems in that home defense thread just in time.

So I'm in the market for an alarm system. Please help me shake down the features, I really need. I've done a bit of research and below is more or less the result. It's a work in progress, so add your thoughts.

1) Monitoring:
    I think I don't want to sign up with a monitoring company (ADT, Brinks or the like). If the alarm goes off while I'm at home, the intruder either reconsiders right there or one of us needs an ambulance/coffin before police even has a chance to get here. If I'm not at home, getting an automated call on my cell so that I can call 911 in return will do exactly what a monitoring company would do. No need to spend $30 or more a month for someone dozing next to a phone.

2) Sensors:
    Since we have a cat, pet immune (dual lens) motion sensors are a must. I'd also like to link smoke and CO detectors into the system, so that I could alert the fire department even if I'm not at home. Smoke and CO isn't a must have, but definitely a nice to have.

3) Separate keypad:
    IMHO an absolute must have feature. There is nothing more useless than an alarm system, that can be deactivated by just ripping the panel off the wall and crushing it. All these cheapo-amazon-DIY things come with an all-in-one control panel, that is the single point of failure right next to your front door ... which is the most likely point of entry ... how stupid. So I really want a control unit, that can be installed in the basement, separate from the keypad(s) and the sirens.

4) Wireless vs. Hardlink:
    I certainly see the advantage of hard wired detectors. And I did run CAT5E cables all over my place to have Gbit Ethernet over 300 Mbit wireless, but I'm not thrilled about running cables for each and every door/window. So for now I would settle for a wireless system.

Summary:
    So far, there is nothing in the cheapo market (Amazon &c), that would satisfy my wish list. What I found, and it is looking promising, is the DSC AleXor series, which seems to satisfy all my must have above, along with the nice to haves at extra cost.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with DSC alarm systems?

What did I forget in my research?

Am I nuts? (don't answer that ... my wife probably knows)

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Home Security Systems

Short of a GUN.

I'd go for ADT.
    They secure the Pentagon, Fort Knox, and the White House.

(Lehigh County)

I have PCA Security. I don't recommend them at all. I paid cash for all my equipment so I could save a bunch of money and get five years free surveillance so I'm stuck with them for now. They were here two times in about the first six weeks because a motion detector was being triggered by a heat source. They sold me motion sensors that were not supposed to be triggered by a pet. When the pets triggered them they came back and put them upside down so now they're almost useless. I'm supposed to have sixty seconds to turn it off after coming in the door but three times it has gone off as soon as I opened the door. All the equipment is Honeywell, supposedly a good company. Supposedly all the detectors and the keyboard are tamper proof and will trigger an alarm at central station if they are opened or broken but that feature has yet to be tested.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Check out the Honeywell/Ademco Lynx wireless system (disclaimer: I work for Honeywell, but not the security division).

All of the sensors are wireless, but can also be hard-wired if you choose. The panel is also wireless, but can be hard wired. There are terminal blocks inside the panel for I think 8 remote sensors. Maybe it's 12. I can't remember exactly...

They make pet-immune motion sensors and a good array of door and window sensors, including those that mount inside the window or door so they are not visible when mounted.

One drawback of this system is that the call-in electronics are in the main panel, so it's smart to mount the main panel in a bedroom and put a wireless remote panel near the front door. This prevents an intruder disabling the system by simply ripping the panel off the wall. They also make keyfob remotes, panic buttons, sirens, CO and smoke/fire detectors, and a bunch of other stuff.

The main panel also has a backup battery, and can interface with a cellular call-in device to guard against an intruder cutting the phone line.

You can get monitoring for $10/mo if you buy a system from The Home Security Store online (www.homesecuritystore.com). That's where I got my Lynx system (even cheaper than the Employee deal, if you can believe that).

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I have PCA Security. I don't recommend them at all. I paid cash for all my equipment so I could save a bunch of money and get five years free surveillance so I'm stuck with them for now. They were here two times in about the first six weeks because a motion detector was being triggered by a heat source. They sold me motion sensors that were not supposed to be triggered by a pet. When the pets triggered them they came back and put them upside down so now they're almost useless. I'm supposed to have sixty seconds to turn it off after coming in the door but three times it has gone off as soon as I opened the door. All the equipment is Honeywell, supposedly a good company. Supposedly all the detectors and the keyboard are tamper proof and will trigger an alarm at central station if they are opened or broken but that feature has yet to be tested.
    PM me your details and I'll help you set up your equipment properly.

eta: The motion sensors (if you have the Lynx setup) have adjustable fresnel lenses inside that MUST be set up properly for the height and placement of the sensor to work properly. Otherwise, they'll be ultra-sensitive in some areas and immune in others. Putting them upside down was simply stupidity on the part of the installer.
    Last edited by ehidle; December 29th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.

(Delaware County)

To start out i'll say that i do not have one and have not had one, so my experience is with other peoples (relatives, friends). With little surprise most of the people i know with them barely use them or don't at all. I wouldn't write off the monitoring part of it, say it doesn't scare them off and you are taken out but not dead, when every moment counts to get you (or family) to an ER or the police on scene it could be worth it.

Last christmas at my aunt and uncle's place they decided to get the fireplace going, they forgot to open the vent and the alarms started going off, we got a call and were able to tell them it was not an issue before the firetrucks had to come but it took a family effort to turn the things off. There was still smoke in the house so the alarms kept beeping, not sure if there was a shutoff or not but you might want to look into that for you selection too. also when you get a call you have to have a "safe word" or else they won't call off help so make sure if you have a house sitter or someone to check on pets they know what it is.

(Montgomery County)

I have DSC equipment in my house and have no equipment problems in the 11 years since it was installed. I do have pet friendly motions. They are pin-point beams 3 foot off of the floor in the hallways. Most theives will make entry, secure a way out, and head for the bedrooms where they go for jewerly. Look at hallways and stairways that force theives to use them to move around the house and install beams there. I have all of my windows protected using the the bottom sash, allowing the top window to remain open for ventalation. If theives see open window and move the bottom sash the alarm sounds. I have two doors that will alarm instantly if opened, and two with a true 60 second delay. I have smoke, set temp, rate of rise, CO, and water alarms also hooked to this panel. I use Czarstar security 1-877-858-9015 near Pottstown paying $18 monthly!! I would not suggest panel calling you, due to you may not always get the call due to cell coverage, or personal time. Plus being in the fire service I want every second I can get on my side.

(Bucks County)

I'm pretty sure one of our members here who is sort of local to us installs systems but I can't remember who. Try searching.

(Butler County)

My redneck security system. I put a baby monitor in the garage (detached). I sleep with the reciever on the head board. You can't move in my garage without making noise.

Thanks for the input so far.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Short of a GUN.

I'd go for ADT.
    They secure the Pentagon, Fort Knox, and the White House.
    Got two guns so far, so I'm definitely working on that. As for ADT securing Obama and his friends ... I don't know if that's actually a good sign. Those people didn't make the best business choices lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Check out the Honeywell/Ademco Lynx wireless system

[...]

They make pet-immune motion sensors and a good array of door and window sensors, including those that mount inside the window or door so they are not visible when mounted.

[...]

You can get monitoring for $10/mo if you buy a system from The Home Security Store online (www.homesecuritystore.com). That's where I got my Lynx system (even cheaper than the Employee deal, if you can believe that).
    Bell/Honeywell is second on my list right now (feature wise).

Not sure if I want sensors to be invisible. Visible sensors might act as a deterrent for one or the other would-be burglar.

$10/mo is definitely low. Would like to know how the service is.

Quote Originally Posted by ercjr1101 View Post
    I have DSC equipment in my house and have no equipment problems in the 11 years since it was installed. I do have pet friendly motions. They are pin-point beams 3 foot off of the floor in the hallways.
    11 years and no trouble. That sounds good to me. You might want to check the new equipment though. The new pet immune motion sensors use a dual lens passive infrared system, that can tell a human from a small pet. They usually ignore motion from anything that's smaller than 2 feet. So you can cover the whole area.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    My redneck security system. I put a baby monitor in the garage (detached). I sleep with the reciever on the head board. You can't move in my garage without making noise.
    I won't monitor my garage. I want a new scooter anyway, but my wife won't let me at this point. If it was stolen ...

From the feedback so far it seems I'm on the right track. Thanks again for your time and input.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast