Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Visiting Philadelphia from Virginia

My wife and I are spending New Years Eve weekend in Philadelphia, and we are trying to plan fun things to see and places to visit. We both have concealed carry licenses in Virginia, and Pennsylvania has reciprocity with Virginia, so we are good on that score. However, I have a few questions that I have not yet been able to resolve. If any Philadelphia locals could help with answers, that would be great.

1) In Virginia, we have a perverse law that concealed carry permits are not valid in restaurants that serve alcohol for consumption on premises (we don't have "bars" in Virginia). Only open carry is legal in such establishments in Virginia. This is a goofy law and it will probably be eliminated this year, but that's the law as it is for now. Does Pennsylvania have a similar law, or is concealed carry in restaurants/bars permitted? Are there any other peculiar restrictions of Pennsylvania concealed carry (aside from the obvious: Federal buildings, courthouses, and schools).

2) Are there metal detectors at the various museums and historical sites in Philadelphia? Are any of them in Federal buildings?

I want to avoid any unpleasant surprises, so any information along this line would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Visiting Philadelphia from Virginia

Carry in restaurants and even bars is legal in PA -- even if you have a drink. "No guns" signs are uncommon.

Independence Hall / Liberty Bell are federal and do not permit guns.

(Franklin County)

Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
    My wife and I are spending New Years Eve weekend in Philadelphia, and we are trying to plan fun things to see and places to visit. We both have concealed carry licenses in Virginia, and Pennsylvania has reciprocity with Virginia, so we are good on that score. However, I have a few questions that I have not yet been able to resolve. If any Philadelphia locals could help with answers, that would be great.

1) In Virginia, we have a perverse law that concealed carry permits are not valid in restaurants that serve alcohol for consumption on premises (we don't have "bars" in Virginia). Only open carry is legal in such establishments in Virginia. This is a goofy law and it will probably be eliminated this year, but that's the law as it is for now. Does Pennsylvania have a similar law, or is concealed carry in restaurants/bars permitted? Are there any other peculiar restrictions of Pennsylvania concealed carry (aside from the obvious: Federal buildings, courthouses, and schools).

2) Are there metal detectors at the various museums and historical sites in Philadelphia? Are any of them in Federal buildings?

I want to avoid any unpleasant surprises, so any information along this line would be greatly appreciated.
    1. You can carry concealed in bars.

2. Independence Hall is federal property and has metal detectors, as does the Mint and Liberty Bell. Private institutions like the Franklin Institute, and the Art Museum, did not have detectors last time I checked.

As long as you stay off federal property and out of New Jersey you should be fine. Enjoy your visit.

(Adams County)

And don't forget to unload and lock-up your gun(s) while traveling through MD.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    And don't forget to unload and lock-up your gun(s) while traveling through MD.
    Locking is not required if stored in the trunk. Separate containers are all that's required. Locked containers are only required if the firearms are stored in the passenger compartment of vehicles that don't have trunks.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Hi bblackmoor. Nice to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
    My wife and I are spending New Years Eve weekend in Philadelphia
    I think you'll enjoy Philadelphia! Politics aside, the city has much to offer visitors. Since you're going to be in town for New Years, you might want to make a point of watching/seeing the Mummer's Parade -- Philly's annual New Year Day Parade. This being its 110th appearance, it has the distinction, apparently, of being the Nation's oldest continuous folk event (according to this article). It will, of course, be televised as well if you just want to catch a glimpse of it before starting your day.

For information about the history of the parade, etc, check out this website.

Either way, welcome to Philadelphia.
    Last edited by FNG19; December 30th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks for the advice and information. The trip went smoothly and we had a great time. I carried the whole time, except for the day we spent doing the rounds of the downtown attractions: the Constitution center, the liberty bell, Independence Hall, and the Benjamin Franklin exhibitions. I left the pistol locked in the car while we were seeing those sights.

I took a photo of people being forced to open their coats for the Wackenhut security guards at the liberty bell building, because I thought that was really funny, but a guard saw me and made me delete that photo because of "security" and "terrorism".

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    As long as you stay off federal property and out of New Jersey you should be fine. Enjoy your visit.
    Staying out of New Jersey is a rule I try to stick to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast