Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Reloading Cast Bullets .45-70

Thanks Knight: I had the levels reversed, boy that would have been a bad thing. I have a couple boxes of Win 300 gr. , so they should be level 1 so they will work in all guns, is that right? I somehow assumed because the gun was made of newer metal that it would be able to handle the higher pressures. Glad I found this forum.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Reloading Cast Bullets .45-70

Quote Originally Posted by a1bigtuna View Post
    Thanks Knight: I had the levels reversed, boy that would have been a bad thing. I have a couple boxes of Win 300 gr. , so they should be level 1 so they will work in all guns, is that right? I somehow assumed because the gun was made of newer metal that it would be able to handle the higher pressures. Glad I found this forum.
    Winny and Remington 45-70 ammo is all level 1. Winny's SuperX 300gr JHP is a very accurate load in my both, my NEF 22" Handi and my 32" H&R Buff Classic. At 50yds standing I can make ragged 1-hole groups with the open sights, and using a rest I can make clover-leafs all day long with my 22" rifle. The 32" BC is even more accurate. The only drawback to the Winny ammo is that it doesn't burn completely, you'll have a bit of unburnt powder in the barrel. To compensate for it, try to keep the powder settled towards the primer - load the gun with muzzle up, then slowly lower the muzzle to target.

All of the Springfield Trapdoor, Sharps falling block, and Remington rolling blocks designs can only handle level 1. There is an exception though for ONLY recent production C. Sharps and Shiloh Sharps rifles, and a case-by-case rifles made by Pedersolli, which can sometimes handle level 2.

Newer
    Winchester and Browning's Highwall 1885, NEF/H&R(made from 2000) single shots, Marlin leverguns, Thompson Center, and Knight Rifles can handle level #2 for certain. The H&R and NEF's on a case-by-case situation can handle level 3.

Ruger #1 and Siamese Mausers can handle upto level #3.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12