Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Smith & Wesson M&P compact

I have been a full size pistol guy from the beginning. I've been carrying a Browning Hi-Power since I was 21 and a Glock 17 since I finished the Act 120. A weird thing happened to me yesterday when a friend showed me his M&P 9c. The gun melted into my hand like it was a part of me. Well, most of you on this forum know that there is only 1 thing that can be done about that.

So my question to all of you is do I purchase the 9mm or the 40 cal.? This will become my primary concealed carry gun. I shoot my guns they don't just sit around in a holster so the 9mm will be more affordable to shoot. I do feel slightly better equiped with the 40, but with the quality ammo for the 9 these days I don't feel under equiped with the smaller cartridge.

Does anyone have any experience with the recoil of the 40c? I've read that felt recoil is similar to a full size 40.

Also, anyone know how much they are going for currently? I may have to trade something in or do some creative financing.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Fred

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson M&P compact

I carry the M&P9c and am very happy with it.

Watch for Cabelas to put it on sale and give money off, I got mine for about 375 out the door :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I got mine for about 375 out the door :P
    Sweet Jesus. Will someone PLEASE send me a PM if they see this. I will jump all over it like stink on a Frenchman.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I carry the M&P9c and am very happy with it.

Watch for Cabelas to put it on sale and give money off, I got mine for about 375 out the door :P
    Must have had one of those "save $100 on a $4-500 purchase" cards, eh. I picked up a pristine cz85b for $275 that way.
    As for the M&P compact, I picked up a brand new 9mm for $499 at a local shop a few months ago. Best price anywhere at the time.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

Try the S&W M&P 357c if you need more stopping power and the recoil is not bad at all.

(Monroe County)

357 sig is not an option for me. It would cost me too much in dies and toolheads, plus all that time to work up new loads from scratch. Its gonna be either 9 or 40 for me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    So my question to all of you is do I purchase the 9mm or the 40 cal.?
    Does anyone have any experience with the recoil of the 40c? I've read that felt recoil is similar to a full size 40.
    I own a M&P full size in 9. I've shot my friend's M&Pc .40 quite a bit and I own a HK USPc in .40. Recoil is very manageable for such a small gun but it definitely has a bit of a snap to it when shooting premium ammo.

Since you already have the Hi-Power in 9, my recommendation is to purchase the M&Pc in 9mm to improve follow-up shot capabilities and consolidate ammo.

(Monroe County)

My Hi-Power is actually a 40 cal but I am leaning towards the 9. I do reload but even reloading is getting very expensive. Bullets are about 40% more for the 40 cal than the 9mm. I do enjoy shooting the 9mm more than the 40 although I've got a real sweet mild load I shoot out of the hi-power.

(Centre County)

I just bought a M&P9c for $529 locally, which was the cheapest around me by30 dollars. Kinda sounds like I should have waited for a Cabela's sale. I chose the 9mm b/c I already have the full size M&P and the mags fit the compact (I'm sure the .40 does as well). Mag spacers for around 11 bucks to fill the void and you have 17 rounds of 9mm for fun at the range or carry if you want. I like the 9 for quick follow up shots and quality 147 JHP's should get the job done. Good luck, but either way you'll be getting a quality gun.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Westmoreland County)

I have the MP 40 Compact and my son has the MP 9 Compact. The recoil with the 40 is more stout but not uncontrollable in any way. The 9 holds more ammo and is a bit faster shot to shot. I would say either buy whichever you find at a good price or just buy the 9 because of the difference in ammo costs.
    Captain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast