Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Suppressor for rifle AND pistol?

Looking at my first suppressor purchase. YHM has the MITE .22 suppressor, of which the full stainless version is rated for the FN 5.7 round... but...

I also have the FS2000 which I'd like to be able to suppress. Could I use the YHM Phantom 5.56 can with the rifle Q.D. and on the 5.7 pistol with the pistol Q.D.? From what I'm gathering, the YHM Q.D. mounts for the pistol DO hook up to the rifle can. So, specifically, will the rifle can allow the pistol to function properly? I don't see anything about having a booster in the Mite, but could that just be because of it's size?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Suppressor for rifle AND pistol?

I have not tried to use my demo 5.56 on a pistol 5.7 but I would like to think that the 5.56 can (20oz weight) would not cycle very well compared to an average pistol can(9-12oz).

I use a can called The Constitution for all my 5.7 rifles and it also works great on 5.56 but it is too heavy(21oz) to cycle a pistol. I think one of the only 5.7x28 pistol cans are made by Gem-Tech. But it can not handle the 5.56.

(Lebanon County)

that would not be a good idea. Your pistol would be front heavy, and would not cycle due to the excessive weight. just buy two cans, there like potato chips you cant just have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    Looking at my first suppressor purchase. YHM has the MITE .22 suppressor, of which the full stainless version is rated for the FN 5.7 round... but...

I also have the FS2000 which I'd like to be able to suppress. Could I use the YHM Phantom 5.56 can with the rifle Q.D. and on the 5.7 pistol with the pistol Q.D.? From what I'm gathering, the YHM Q.D. mounts for the pistol DO hook up to the rifle can. So, specifically, will the rifle can allow the pistol to function properly? I don't see anything about having a booster in the Mite, but could that just be because of it's size?
    Is the NSA having Sam Fisher try outs?

lol. just kidding, nice guns, I'm jealous

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    there like potato chips you cant just have one.

This is SOOOO true I can't even begin to describe why I am buying my 4th right now other than I have an odd compulsion to do so!

That being said, it would make you 5.7 VERY front end heavy, cause it to not cycle and I don't know if the barrel wall thickness is enough to support such weight out front for the long term with out causing damage. Tornado Tech would be able to answer that. It's my understanding that they already thread it for sleeve and that you screw your suppressor onto the sleeve that they make, not 100% sure as I don't own one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Chester County)

The HTG Universal-3 might do what you want. The .223 suppression is probably not that great, and I have no idea how well a 5.7 would cycle with one mounted, but it's one of the only purposely made all-in-ones that I know of.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    just buy two cans, there like potato chips you cant just have one.

How true, I have four and want two more!

(Lehigh County)

well, I think I'll just wait another month or two and go for both suppressors at the same time. the Tornado Tech barrel threading attachment has gotten positive reviews from 5.7 owners.

looking at dealing with Major Malfunction... anyone have any exp. with them?

http://www.major-malfunction.com/
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    well, I think I'll just wait another month or two and go for both suppressors at the same time. the Tornado Tech barrel threading attachment has gotten positive reviews from 5.7 owners.

looking at dealing with Major Malfunction... anyone have any exp. with them?

http://www.major-malfunction.com/

I've heard the same about TT's thread job on the 5.7 pistols, they do good work in general.

I've also heard good things about Bryon, he went through a rough patch mid 2009 but sounds like he's back on his A game. Thought about going with a dealer in PA for the whole deal vs just the instate transfer? Might safe you some green in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Lehigh County)

update:

I have the $$$ for what I was looking at, and called YHM directly. The rep countered the web-based info, and states YHM does NOT warranty the Mite (even the stainless steel version) on the FN 5.7. I asked him what he recommended, and he stated to go with the Phantom 5.56, an stated the 5.7 does NOT need the Nielsen device to cycle the pistol.

I'm a little leery of putting that large of a can on that pistol. Also, their Phantom 762 suppressor works with .308's and 5.56 with YHM's quick mounts.

since my o/p, I have become extremely interested in either an accurized 308/762 bolt gun, or the FNAR, and prices seem reasonable at the moment.

I've also decided to go with the YHM Cobra M2 .45 suppressor, as it can be used on any caliber center fire pistol (except the 5.7 ) with a Q.D., and threaded/extended barrels are available for the FNP 45 from EFK Firedragon.

Now, if someone would be so kind as to recommend me a reputable NFA dealer in the greater Lehigh Valley area, I can begin my "hurry-up-and-wait" period.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast