Thread: 22 rimfire

(Washington County)

Default 22 rimfire

looking at getting one of the two
    http://www.savagearms.com/markiifvt.htm
    or
    http://www.savagearms.com/markiifvxp.htm

for target shooting anyone wanna way in

i am leaning on the first one with peep sights and rail for scope if i chose to take off the peep sights

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 22 rimfire

I guess it depends on wether you plan to shoot opens or glass. The standard model comes with (probably) a POS scope so you would most likely replace it at some point. It is however $100 less. The target model seems to have a nice peep sight system on it, if you like (good) opens that would be the way to go. I would go for the peep sight model if it was me (I like good open sights over a scope). I have a bull barrel, laminated stocked, scoped Mark II and love it, the target seems like more of a good thing.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Allegheny County)

I learned to shoot with peep sights as a kid, in an NRA rifle league and I would say go with them.
    I think the peep sights taught me accuracy and marksmanship in a way that optics could not. I can't quite put my finger on it, but using iron sights seemed to teach me more about sighting than a scope would have, maybe because the front sight made it easier to see how breathing and trigger pull was affecting my aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhandle View Post
    I learned to shoot with peep sights as a kid, in an NRA rifle league and I would say go with them.
    I think the peep sights taught me accuracy and marksmanship in a way that optics could not. I can't quite put my finger on it, but using iron sights seemed to teach me more about sighting than a scope would have, maybe because the front sight made it easier to see how breathing and trigger pull was affecting my aim.
    I'd disagree with your statement, but it's your opinion. "You" will never know what any rifle is capable of unless you put glass on it and shoot it for groups. Open sights can be fun and a huge challenge. I would take any bet with someone that says they can outshoot me with iron sights, while I used optics. Well, the average person...I'm not talking about a professional shooter. LOL

(Washington County)

well i picked up the Mark II FVT the one with peep sights and after getting the sights tuned in a little i was shooting one hole nickel size groups at 25 yards i was happy with that for the first day.

This rifle is also taped so i can mount a scope later if i chose to do so. that was a big selling factor for me.

Will post picks tomorrow or the next day

(Lancaster County)

Unless it's a collectible rifle like an old military rifle, or a Winchester model 94, you are nuts to not use a scope. Optical technology is so far advanced that it is really silly not to make use of what is available to you. Sounds like you're off to a good start with shooting, but you should look into getting a good scope for that rifle. You'll enjoy shooting even more with good optics.

(Washington County)

what if the challenge of Iron Sights if half the fun.

as you can see it is taped and i could very easily add a scope but for now i like the peep sights.

(Lancaster County)

I think you could reduce your groups to the size of say....a dime...or less with good optics and decent ammo. I say decent ammo because I know that some people consider walmarts remington ammo to be good...But it is not. Use Federal and you will see a difference in the group size...Trust me. But yes once you stretch out your yardage to 50 even 75 to 100 yards you will want to get a good scope for that.

Just my opinion
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Montgomery County)

My friend got a new Savage .22 (Mark II BTVS) and loves it. He uses it for target practice and for squirl hunting. Of course if you want the best bang for the buck, get a CZ 452 or 453. near-Anschutz accuracy at Savage prices.
    - May the forCZe be with you.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZJedi View Post
    My friend got a new Savage .22 (Mark II BTVS) and loves it. He uses it for target practice and for squirl hunting. Of course if you want the best bang for the buck, get a CZ 452 or 453. near-Anschutz accuracy at Savage prices.
    that would be ok but i have already picked up the Savage. a little late on this one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast