Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Tec-9 Pros and Cons Please

I have a young (will just be 21 in Jan. 2010) client that is looking at buying (he's bidding on GunBroker) a Tec-9 as his first handgun. He owns a rifle (his admission) but this will be his first handgun. I've given him my thoughts on this as a first gun but told him I'd query the members here so he could get a variety of opinions from a larger, respectable gun group. Your thoughts please.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: Tec-9 Pros and Cons Please

My opinion of the Tec 9 is that they are junk. Had one in '86 and all it did was jam up on me. Based on that I would never try one again nor recommend it to anyone.
    Last edited by frankie; December 28th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.

(Bucks County)

tec 9's are junk in my opinion and a very poor choice as a first hangun. they look cool and have the hi cap 30 rd mags but that's about it so far as pros are concerned. the cons are:

receiver cracks
    poor sites
    poor accuracy
    unreliable
    replacement parts hard to get or unavailable
    bulky & cumbersome

i would recommend a glock, SW. taurus, SIG, HK, beretta, ruger as first handguns. if he's hell bent on a assault style pistol he'd be much better off finding a cobrey or masterpiece arms mac 11/10.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    My opinion the Tec 9 is that they are junk. Had one in '86 and all it did was jam up on me. Based on that I would never try one again nor recommend it to anyone.
    X2
    I friend of mine had one in the 80's when they were the big craze and said the same exact thing. It would just jam constantly.I still have the box it came in.
    Unless your friend is looking to score points at the next Miami Vice re-enactment he should steer clear. And if thats the case he should get a chrome 1911 like Don Johnson had. Don Johnson got all the ass.

(Allegheny County)

It'd be interesting to know his reasons for wanting one as his first pistol. I can almost guarantee it is because of it's stigma as being a gangbanger weapon.

(York County)

I was interested in these at one point and time, mainly because they were unique looking. But as many have already pointed out, it's looks are about where it ends for the hunk of metal.

A friend of mine that had one took me out to shoot it, and it would be more reliable as a club than a firearm. They are notorious for cracking, jamming, and just about everything else you wouldn't want in a firearm.

Find out WHY he would want this as his first handgun and try to talk some sense into this lad. Best of luck to you sir.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    X2
    And if thats the case he should get a chrome 1911 like Don Johnson had. Don Johnson got all the ass.
    I thought it was a HC'd Bren-Ten he carried, no?

In any event, I will echo the sentiments of others here thus far regarding the Tec-9 - Unreliable, not very durable, no real useful purpose unless your goal is to dump 30 rds at super-close range (inaccurate) in quick order... And like has been said - 30 rounds only if you're lucky enough to make it through a full magazine w/out at least a couple hangups...

The only appeal I can think of is simply to say to an inexperienced shooter or action-flick enthusiast, "Yeah, I got a Tec..."

Anyone who has experience with one will then likely respond to that statement by asking "Why?"

OMO, and YMMV (I guess)...

Regards,

Bones

(Monroe County)

Its junk. And that is the pro's

Think of it as a piece of crap with the ghetto reputation of a MAC-10 without the reliability of Gordon B. Ingram's design.

It's also an ugly fucker.

I wonder when he starts pricing desert eagles.
    Last edited by thelemite; December 28th, 2009 at 05:59 PM.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Allegheny County)

First handgun should be either a .22 like a Ruger MK II/ 22/45 or any of the other .22s in a similar vein or a .357 Mag revolver. Both are reasonably priced and cheap to shoot. Cheap shooting means more shooting, more shooting means better skills.

(Allegheny County)

whats he want it for ?

just a toy cause its neat? then do whatever.

to carry? as in, may need to one day save your life? and then be discussed in court.......... yeah, Id say tell him to buy any modern polymer striker fired pistol and be done with it. If he wants different, get a Steyr.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast