Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hartwood Acres...

Well, Mrs.Stevieb92 and I and my in-laws decided to check out the lights at Hartwood Acres (Allegheny County Park) last night. We have never been there before and are not really familiar with that area. So, I googled the County Park, found the address and plugged it into the gps.

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/hwfac.aspx

We headed out a little before 6pm. I figured we would see signs along the road as we got close. We made it to Middle road and started seeing the light setups on the left as we headed south. Looking for entrance signs or something that would indicate where to enter, we saw what looked like toll booths set up and people exiting onto Middle Road. We saw what looked like two lanes exiting and two other lanes separated by a DO NOT ENTER sign in a barrel or something. We figured to enter the park on the right side of the sign and then go from there, especially since the gps indicated this was the spot.

We turn in and notice a car parked up along the grass on the side. We also now see a third lane come around the other side of the second booth. Anyway, we didn't see any lane for the entrance, so my father-in-law got out and walked over to the booth and asked for directions. In the meantime, the driver of the car we noticed parked along the grass got out and made his way to the booth as well. They talked with the attendant for a minute or two. My FIL came back and said that this isn't the entrance and the other guy had been here before and asked for directions, and tried to follow the directions given by the booth attendant but they didn't get him to the entrance so he came back to ask again.

The other car had now left so we put our seatbelts on to leave and then a cop comes barreling in behind us with the red-blues on. Great. He comes up to the car and blasts off that "HE JUST GOT DONE ISSUING A CITATION FOR SOMEONE ELSE WHO TURNED IN HERE. HOW DID WE GET IN HERE?"

We said we just turned in. It wasn't difficult. There was what looked like two lanes open to enter. We then asked him, where is the entrance, we are just trying to find out where to enter the park to see the lights?

He blasted back "I AM ISSUING YOU A CITATION FOR DISOBEYING A TRAFFIC SIGNAL AND IMPEDING TRAFFIC FLOW. I NEED YOUR ID.".

We presumed the DO NOT ENTER sign.

Mrs.Stevieb92 is driving, so she hands her ID to "Mr friendly". Cop goes back to car. Now, in the meantime, another car comes in behind the cop car and the driver of that car gets out and walks up to cop sitting in his car. The driver asks for directions. (We can hear as our car is turned off and the windows were open). The cop proceeds to tell him he has just disobeyed a traffic signal yada yada yada issuing him a citation. He is supposed to get back in his car and go park over in the grass. Mr "friendly" cop will be right with him to issue him a citation!!!! I wonder what he was thinking. He drove in asking for directions, and now he is getting a $110 present from "Mr Friendly"!?!?!

All the while, more cars are turning in and then backing right out.

We are parked over near the grass enough to allow all three lanes of vehicles exiting the park out onto the road. We are out of the lanes enough, another cop car comes barreling along side of us to go up to the booth. That cop then gets out and starts directing traffic to the opposite side of the booth to exit (and give a donation to the county park mind you).

Cop comes back and gives citation to Mrs.Stevieb92 and she signs. We again asked for directions and he completely ignored and said have a nice night. My FIL said, Merry Christmas to you too!!!

Well, by this time, I a fuming. What a freaking a$$hole!!! Instead of directing traffic out at the road (ya know, to serve the public), they sit and wait for people to come into this spot and then give them a nice $110 citation for not knowing where to go.

To Protect and Serve, Huh!!! My a$$!!! These a$$holes are there for nothing more than money!!!

The other cop was nice enough to direct people into the lane where they could drop their donation to the Allegheny County Park. Interesting that these two cops were also Allegheny County Police. Sounds like a perfect post-Christmas setup for making money.

So, we finally got out, and as we were going out, more cars were driving in. Right into the trap.

We drove up and down the road looking for other signs. Nothing. So we started taking pics of the area. We were able to get a pic of another car trying to turn into the same spot. Seems we weren't the only ones who were confused and looking for the entrance.

We were never impeding traffic flow at all like it was written on the citation.

We will be seeing them in court. FVCKERS!!!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Hartwood Acres...

that sucks they made it a SCAM. Did you try the Saxonburg Blvd entrance or the Middle Rd ent?

(Allegheny County)

Middle road (what we thought was an entrance) entrance. We went home after the incident. None of us were interested in seeing any more flashing lights.

So, there are two entrances? Fancy that.

Were they all Allegheny Co police or was the issuing authority from northern regional or someone like that?

(Beaver County)

more reasons to hate cops. Its the little things, ya know. But they do it intentionally and to everyone.

(Allegheny County)

Could be that this "cop" had been nice to about 300 others already, but finally had enough of having to deal with people going where they shouldn't be going, and the stevieb family got there at his breaking point.

Sometimes these things aren't planned out (directional signs) as well as the organizers THINK they are. This causes problems for the people coming to the event as well as those working it.

But yeah, it was probably a "trap" to make money.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. I'd fight it too, but politely. I doubt a judge would "throw the book at you" for attempting to take your family to see Christmas lights. Then again, the Judge may be the mastermind of this whole money making plot.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Both cop cars had Allegheny County Police on the side. Clearly visible.

If in fact this cop had dealt with 300 people prior to us, then instead of whipping out his ticket book, he should have done the right thing (ya know that "Serve" part in their motto or whatever they call it) and fixed the problem by directing traffic out at the road. Poor decision making on his part.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Could be that this "cop" had been nice to about 300 others already, but finally had enough of having to deal with people going where they shouldn't be going, and the stevieb family got there at his breaking point.

Sometimes these things aren't planned out (directional signs) as well as the organizers THINK they are. This causes problems for the people coming to the event as well as those working it.

But yeah, it was probably a "trap" to make money.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. I'd fight it too, but politely. I doubt a judge would "throw the book at you" for attempting to take your family to see Christmas lights. Then again, the Judge may be the mastermind of this whole money making plot.

EM,

They have been doing the Hartwood thing for YEARS with the exact same setup. If they don't have it figured out by now I don't know what to tell you. The whole thing is a giant pain in the ass if you ask me.

Sorry the cops gave you a hard time. I'm sure the magistrate will rule in your favor. Do you know if it is in Lang's jurisdiction?

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I know, but I don't know if it's well marked. I don't think it is - I've been there a total of two times and it was a clusterfuck then as well.
    Just because something has been done for "years", doesn't mean it's done well.

Also, when I re-read my post, it looks like I'm being a dick to stevieb. That wasn't the intent... it was more or less directed at the insinuation that all cops are assholes that are out to get everyone with these money-making traps, and actually set things up in such a way as to lure unsuspecting minivans full of soccer moms and grandparents into a cash payout.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!