Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Exercising the new ability to legally carry in National Parks

A "borrowed" idea:
    On February 22nd, which happens to fall on a Monday, we will legally be able to carry weapons into US parks.
    There is already an event being planned for the 28th at Valley Forge, but I would like to propose a get together/BBQ to be held at Gettysburg National Battlefield on Saturday, February 27th.

Does anyone know where there may be areas with picnic tables and/or grills in the park? If we can get some basics nailed down, I'll post this up in the Events forum.

**Info below added on 1/16

There are plenty of picnic tables around. There are 8 at one end of the parking lot, and a smaller group of 5 off to the one side. No grills available. "Open fires" prohibited. I'm not sure what that means in relation to bringing our own grills, but it would probably be simpler for everyone to bring their own lunch in a cooler, rather than trying to do pot luck.

I found two sets of restroom. One inside the visitor's center, and one as a stand-alone (non-staffed building). Due to the season, only the ones in the visitor's center will be open, so be prepared to secure your firearms in your vehicle if you can't hold it for the duration. I recommend NOT clearing your weapon if you must secure and go inside, but if anyone feels this is necessary, please let me know ahead of time, and I will bring a sand bucket so it can be done safely.

There are no requirements on carrying, or mode of carry.

If the weather is extreme, we will take a short walk around and adjourn to a nearby eatery for food. I'm also told there is a nice food court IN the visitor's center, but that will mean all arms must be secured outside. Wouldn't mind opinions on if a significant number of empty holsters inside might be an additional way to get our message (YES, this is legal!) out to the public.

Meet at 11:00 am in the parking lot closest to the Visitor's Center. I drive a green S-10.

Directions to the Visitor's Center:

The museum and visitor center is located at 1195 Baltimore Pike (Route 97) with a back entrance from the Taneytown Road (State Rt. 134). From North or South, follow US 15 to Gettysburg and watch for signs to direct you to the National Park Service Visitor Center. The signs are near the exit at Rt. 97. Go north on Route 97 and look for the visitor center entrance, which will be on your left at the stoplight. From East or West, drive into Gettysburg on US Rt. 30, turn South on Baltimore Street (Rt. 97), and follow signs to the entrance of the visitor center, which will be on your right at the stoplight.
    Attending
    4XLT
    ComputerSteve
    Curmudgeon
    CustomLoaded
    Don T.
    EasyXjer
    gnbrotz
    HBGMarine (Mrs. maybe)
    MadamRaven
    Orion0317
    shipglock40
    Smalls
    Belasarius (maybe)
    djturnz (maybe +possible guests)
    Peddler (maybe)
    tdyoung58 (maybe)
    ungawa (maybe)
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 27th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Default Re: Exercising the new ability to legally carry in National Parks

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    A "borrowed" idea:There is already an event being planned for the 28th at Valley Forge, but I would like to propose a get together/BBQ to be held at Gettysburg National Battlefield on Saturday, February 27th.

Does anyone know where there may be areas with picnic tables and/or grills in the park? If we can get some basics nailed down, I'll post this up in the Events forum.
    Don't know if this helps (you may already know this), Greg...but here is some info:

Can we camp and picnic on the battlefield?

The park offers McMillan Woods Youth Campground to organized scouting groups and other such organizations. Youth camping is by reservation only. See our Fees and Reservations page for further information. The Gettysburg area has several commercial campgrounds, all within easy driving distance of the battlefield park. There is no private camping allowed in the park.

There are two picnic areas in the park at the National Park Service Museum and Visitor Center and on South Confederate Avenue. Open fires are not allowed at park picnic sites.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Don't know if this helps (you may already know this), Greg...but here is some info:
    Did not know that, but found this also:
    There are two picnic areas in the park at the National Park Service Museum and Visitor Center and on South Confederate Avenue. Open fires are not allowed at park picnic sites.
    I'll try to slip out next weekend and scope out both sites. I'm thinking that the site near the visitor's center would give us a better level of visibility to the general public.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; December 26th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.

Did not know that, but found this also:

I'll try to slip out next weekend and scope out both sites. I'm thinking that the site near the visitor's center would give us a better level of visibility to the general public.
    If you need any help, let me know, after Mon. I'm off the rest of the week.

(York County)

*subscribed*

Holy Cow! An event? Right in our neck of the woods? Mr. and Mrs. Curmudgeon are SO ready for this!

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    *subscribed*

Holy Cow! An event? Right in our neck of the woods? Mr. and Mrs. Curmudgeon are SO ready for this!

Wouldn't expect anything less!!!!!!!!

(Lehigh County)

One of my former soldiers is a "licensed" battlefield tour guide, I could make arrangements to have him there. (provided his baby doesn't come, she is due 1 March)
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    One of my former soldiers is a "licensed" battlefield tour guide, I could make arrangements to have him there. (provided his baby doesn't come, she is due 1 March)
    Three things.

1. Depending on weather, etc, there may not be a big interest in wandering far from our meeting place, though an oral presentation without schlepping around the battlefield might be cool.

2. I know that getting licensed is not a simple task, and as such I don't feel we should engage his services without offering something for his time. Do you know what he typically gets?

3. As some of us will likely be OC, and prone to draw public attention, and perhaps even that of some LEO given the newness of this change, could his (intentional) association with our group cause grief for him from those in charge and jeopardize his future ability to continue as a guide?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    If you need any help, let me know, after Mon. I'm off the rest of the week.
    I'm planning to go out on Saturday (1/2). That's the first I can get out there during daylight hours unless I happen to be passing through sometime on New Year's Day (not sure where I'm going to be to ringing in the New Year yet).

I'm planning to go out on Saturday (1/2). That's the first I can get out there during daylight hours unless I happen to be passing through sometime on New Year's Day (not sure where I'm going to be to ringing in the New Year yet).
    If I'm not getting venison in MD, I will be around.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast