Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default coming home on leave, getting my LTCF

hello gents, ill be coming home for the first time in a year in about a week, and my first order of business (well, maybe second after... well, you know ) is to get my LTCF for concealed carry in PA (and in AZ where i'm stationed beause they accept almost all other CCW liscenses/permits)
    i wanted to know... what exactly will i have to do? i live in Cheltenham (Montgomery County) and i know that i am to go to my local police station and fill out some paper work and forms and such, but... is that it? i spoke with my local gunsmith back home and from what he said, thats what it sounded like. so i just wanted to check here before i got my hopes up for a quick and simple acquisition.
    any insight that you could provide on what exactly ill have to do would be great. thanks!
    -Joe

Default Re: coming home on leave, getting my LTCF

Here ya go

Pennsylvania License to Carry a Concealed Firearm

Montgomery County Sheriff's Department

Looks like Mont. Co. has that stupid "local police check card" requirement. You have to get some type of card, take it to your local PD, have them check you out and sign it and then take that card to the sheriff

Call the sheriff and ask about this.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; December 9th, 2009 at 06:20 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Here ya go

Looks like Mont. Co. has that stupid "local police check card" requirement. You have to get some type of card, take it to your local PD, have them check you out and sign it and then take that card to the sheriff

What he said.

Be sure to have some fun while your home.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know if your county has an online application but my son came home on leave after filling out the application online with Allegheny County. He did this about four weeks prior and his paperwork was waiting for him at home. He took the paperwork to the sheriff's office and five minutes later he had his LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    hello gents, ill be coming home for the first time in a year in about a week, and my first order of business (well, maybe second after... well, you know ) is to get my LTCF for concealed carry in PA (and in AZ where i'm stationed beause they accept almost all other CCW liscenses/permits)
    i wanted to know... what exactly will i have to do? i live in Cheltenham (Montgomery County) and i know that i am to go to my local police station and fill out some paper work and forms and such, but... is that it? i spoke with my local gunsmith back home and from what he said, thats what it sounded like. so i just wanted to check here before i got my hopes up for a quick and simple acquisition.
    any insight that you could provide on what exactly ill have to do would be great. thanks!
    -Joe
    Congrats!!!

Also, when you get back at AZ, I would apply for an AZ permit or license. Just a thought in case you go on a trip to say New Mexico!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Here ya go

Your local PD might have copies of the MontCo police check card. That would save you a trip to Norristown to pick it up. I'd call them first.

Here's a copy of the application:

http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/wes...pplication.pdf (SP4-127 10/2008)

It's from Westmoreland county, but seeing as the application is supposed to be "uniform throughout the commonwealth" they shouldn't give you a hard time.

(Montgomery County)

I got my Montco permist last december. All you have to do is pick up the form from the county (you might be able to get it on their website), have your local PD fill out the background check stuff, then take it to the courthouse and they'll do their stuff. Took me about 2 hours total from the time I got the form from the county to the time I had my card in my wallet Hopefully it's still that quick for you.

Also, welcome home!

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the info guys! thats just what i needed. ill get all of that ready asap, so hopefully it will be a quick process!
    it sure will be great to be home... its been a while.
    -Joe

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Congrats!!!

Also, when you get back at AZ, I would apply for an AZ permit or license. Just a thought in case you go on a trip to say New Mexico!
    Good point. I just seperated from active duty and was stationed in New Mexico for the last 4 years. I found it a little weird that all states bordering NM accepted my PA license while they didn't. The nice thing about the state is that your motor vehichle is considered an extension of your home so you can CC in it or leave it open on the dash for that matter. Until recent changes in their CC laws it was pointless to obtain one because you could OC everywhere you could CC and there was no advantage. the new change allowed you to CC in gas stations and other places that sold alcohol. i am not advocating breaking the law but those few places ie. walmart i just cc anway cuz it is just that ...cc. knowing that i'd be leaving the state it just wasn't worth the $300 and 6 month backlog wait to get the license.
    "While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink."- Fr. Frog

Thanks for your service. Call your county sheriff and see if they can do anythin to expedite the application since your are active military. Even if it is just an email or faxed application to get it started before you actually get home.
    -Remember the Constitution-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast