Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Best Tactical .22???

I did use the search but didnt see what I was looking for. What is the best tactical .22 out there? I am just looking for a plinker. I saw the website foe all the different ones but no actual reviews. Thank you and Merry Christmas in advance.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Best Tactical .22???

Depends on what you mean by tactical. The GSG is pretty cool.

troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Pike County)

Ruger 10/22, then make it what you wish, many parts kits for all tastes, and you can change it if you want later.

(Franklin County)

Sweet thanks..I just saw the ruger 10/22 Archangel......love it. Anyone know a good place in Franklin County to pickup an old one?

(Bucks County)

there are a lot of cool 22 semiauto rifles on the market today but i wouldn't consider any of them tactical. here's a list of what's available today:

SIG 522
    SW M&P15 22
    GSG5
    GSG AK47 22
    Colt M4
    Ruger SR22 (10/22 receiver dressed up to look like a AR15)

I have the Colt M4, GSG5 rifle and pistol and just picked up the GSG AK47 i like all of them equally but if i could only have one it would be the GSG5. my next purchase will be the sig 522 and from what i've read the 522 seems to be the best of the bunch. all of the rifles mentioned run between 400-550 bucks and all are good additions or alternatives to the real thing considering the cost of ammo these days. the ruger 10/22 is a great rifle but to plain jane for me unless you spend the extra bucks to dress it up. the downside to the 10/22 is finding reliable hi cap mags whereas all the other rifles come with mags that hold up to 30 rds.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Danchise77 View Post
    I did use the search but didnt see what I was looking for. What is the best tactical .22 out there? I am just looking for a plinker. I saw the website foe all the different ones but no actual reviews. Thank you and Merry Christmas in advance.
    Don't know much about .22?
    The Ruger 10/22 is a no brainer. I got my first in 1980 for Christmas from my brother who got tired of me borrowing his so much. It is the most customizeable 22 out there. There are tons of accessories of it and no shortage of mags from cheap to expensive, stocks, target barrels, target triggers, etc. There is no better semiauto .22 for less than $200. There are other good semiautos, but they don't have anywhere near the options the Ruger does.

There is a new trend for the 223 firearms manufacturers to start selling .22 rifles that are copies of their military style rifles. (Sig, Colt, Smith & Wesson and Ruger) because of the high price and low availability of 223 ammo. Those guns are cool, shoot well, and will sell for $400 to $600. I look forward to adding the Colt AR 22 to my group.

However, not one of the $500 guns will shoot any better than the 10/22.
    For plinking, it is a great gun and has a great resale value. You don't see them come up for sale very often. Once you buy one, you have little to no reason to ever sell it. You might buy other 22's, such as a bolt action 22 rifle, but you will never regret this purchase.

Smitty56

(Lebanon County)

The 10/22 is affordable, accurate, reliable, and accessorizable (if that wasn't a word, it is now). As it comes from the factory it's a basic plinking gun, nothing fancy or tactical about it, but you can make it as "tacticool" as you want. One of a kind is easy with a 10/22, once you start to modify one you'll probably never see one set up exactly the same way as yours. You might find something "from the factory" that is less expensive than the total of all the modifications you might make, but it won't be as unique. You can do your modifications a little bit at a time to make it a bit easier to afford.
    Reliability is another issue, the 10/22 has a pretty long history and a good reputation to go with it. Do as little or as much as you want to it and it's still a 10/22, still modifiable or still able to return to it's original configuration.
    I've often thought that I'd like to have a GSG like normanvin has pictured, but I have two 10/22s instead, one pistol, one rifle and I'm very satisfied with them.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    However, not one of the $500 guns will shoot any better than the 10/22.

Smitty56
    I have a SIG 522 that I know would like to make you eat your words.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Montgomery County)

OP, I think you meant "tacticool" as in has MIL STD rails, black plastic, pistol grip, flash hider and other trappings of tacticool.

Add my vote for the Ruger 10/22. Great .22 rifle with tons of available accessories.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Echo the 10/22. I will explain later on in the response. Lets go over some things first.

I had a GSG5. Tinny IMO. Fun toy at best. Complex. Lots of parts in there. I would be concerned if it fell over that it might break.

I handled the Colt M4. Tinny. Better to buy a dedicated upper if that was my direction.

I have not handled the Sig 522.

Ruger 10/22:
    I have tons of experience with the 10/22. Got my first at age 16. 23 years ago. I have taken next to no regard for its care. I cannot begin to imagine how many brick I and friends have run through that gun. Zero parts breakage. My department uses the 10/22 for humane animal dispatch. I convert 10/22's from the sheriff's property room for our use.

These guns may look like hell. I bring them back to life for the field. Beyond a breakdown and cleaning, these guns very nearly always function. The weakness of the 10/22 is the sights are fragile. The front sights generally break at the brass bead. The sight blade is still useful. The rear sights break in half on the folding blade. I prefer the old non adjustable rear sight. Solid.

That aside. The Ruger 10/22 is fairly simple, and parts, if needed are dirt cheap. While not as easy to strip as a military gun, the gun is simple and straight forward. The receiver, bolt, and trigger assembly separate with just 3 pins.

Don't get me started on aftermarket goodies. Dream to your heart's content.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast