Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Best Tactical .22???

I didn't suggest the 10/22 because the op did say tactical. The 10/22 is what I would recommend to anyone looking for a 22. Five of them currently reside in my safe. I had tried a bull-pup stock on one of them years ago. It came off soon after.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

Smile Re: Best Tactical .22???

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I have a SIG 522 that I know would like to make you eat your words.

Rovert97,
    Don't get me wrong, the Sig gets great reviews, especially compared to the Colt and HK 22 clones. I would not mind having one and the Sig would be top of my list as compared to the other assault type clones. $5 says the Sig is not going to print on paper any better than a Ruger 10/22.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...22-lr-sig-550/

The OP said he wanted suggestions for the best tactical 22 and then said he wanted a good plinker. Contrary questions by him?
    The SIG 522 is a nice, specialized 22 but I still stand by the 10/22:
    1) as being as accurate or better
    2) far more available
    3) far more accessories
    4) far easier to deal with

Let us remember that this forum is not based on members being limited to having just one gun.......
    You don't have just one screwdriver in your tool box do you?
    Happy Holidays,
    Smitty56

I would like to see a suppressor and some night optics on my 10/22 in my future. That would make it a fit in its tactical place.

(Lehigh County)

as others said 10/22.... pretty much the sky is the limit for what you can do to one. i never owned one but a bunch of my friends did and we tricked out every one they shot very well and were pretty reliable maybe one day ill buy one but who knows
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    Let us remember that this forum is not based on members being limited to having just one gun.......
    You don't have just one screwdriver in your tool box do you?
    Happy Holidays,
    Smitty56
    im not saying that the 10/22 isnt a great platform, but it is far from a "tacticool" gun such as the SIG, GSG, M&P or Colt like the OP was asking about. sure the aftermarket parts make it look like a tacticool gun, it just isnt the same as a purpose built one directly from the manufacturer. even the Ruger SR10/22 thing they just came out with sort of looks like an AR, but at the same time, its way off.

ive shot the hell out of the 10/22. but i own the SIG and the GSG-5. the GSG-5 is a great gun if you dont mind having to take extreme care of it. the SIG on the other hand, while ive only had it for just a little while (early Nov), i have shot a few thousand rounds through it. i have yet to have a single dud, misfire, miss feed, or extraction problems, which do happen with the GSG-5 on a semi regular basis. once that thing starts to get dirty, after about 200 rounds, it can give you grief. the SIG, i have yet to clean. it is a very simple system compared to the 10/22 and GSG internals. it doesnt mind being dirty and functions perfectly. the flawless high cap mags that are cheap, and made by Black Dog, are excellent, unlike some high cap 10/22 mags.

to the OP, the best i can say is get with people that have various guns and decide for yourself what you like the best, and what you think will keep your interest. ive had the GSG-5 for about a year now, but after getting the SIG, the GSG-5 has lost my attention.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Best Tactical .22???

Hey Rovert,
    If you have so much experience with the Sig, the GSG, and the Ruger?
    It sounds like a pretty good plug for the SIG. I have and love the Ruger but I like a lot of things and 22 has gone way up in popularity since the ammo crunch. I have HK's and a review of the GSG said that if you slap the bolt, just like you do the real HK, you will bend sheet metal on the GSG5..... That really turned me off for the GSG.
    The reviews I looked for pointed high to the Sig and not so high for the Colt 22 which surprised me but I understand the Colt is not really made by Colt but some Italian company?
    The other concern is getting into expensive, hard to get mags for just yet another gun.
    When the time comes for a tactical 22, I think I will go for the Sig over the Colt. The 10/22 can use the company anyway. It is not in risk of losing it's place in my safe.
    Smitty56.
    Last edited by smitty56; December 29th, 2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling

(York County)

As far as the 'fun factor' goes let me put my .02 in for the S&W M&P 15/22. Just picked one up and it is VERY accurate...fun...inexpensive ($420) and being AR styled...you can hang just about every single 'tacticool' thing off of it that you wish.

John

(Monroe County)

i haven't had time with the Colt or the M&P, but i do own the GSG-5 also.

i do the HK Slap on mine without problems. of course if you want to do it on a regular basis, the buffer tube mod is needed. basically the charging handle will slam into the metal housing. while it wont bend, it will loosen the screw on the charging handle, and gets some nasty nicks in it. on mine, it chipped some of a the paint off of the cocking handle tube.

once the buffer was put in, which i made by just cutting out a circle out of a shoe insole, there have been zero issues with repeated slaps. the GSG like i said is a good gun, if you dont mind adding in some extra time to keep it clean, and are willing to break it down on a semi regular basis, which is a PITA. it has way too many parts and screws. the SIG and Ruger have a hell of a lot less and therefore i believe that they will hold up better and will require a lot less care.

as far as the Colt, i know its made by Umarex or whatever that company is, that makes airsoft parts. its made of pot metal, like parts of the GSG is, and pot metal just isnt a great metal for a real gun. its not durable enough.

if youre worried about mags, the SIG takes the standard Black Dog Machine company mags that most AR15 .22lr conversion kits use. they can be had for about $15 if you shop around. i just ordered 2 more mags, and a loader. they were half the price of the mags for the GSG, and less than the Colt mags. the S&W mags, although they are also made specifically for the S&W, are somewhat cheap, but will only work with that gun.

i am no expert on guns, but i did my research for a long time when it came to buying the SIG. the GSG was an impulse buy because lets face it, i cant afford a real MP5, and this was the next best thing. i still want the S&W M&P15-22.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12