Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: H&R Firearms

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R Firearms

Wow!! Nice pieces you guys!!

I'd love to come across some of those in a gunshop.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the organization...glad to have a new member willing to share in the info. As long as you are offering, I have a NEF Huntsman in stainless, one of the first ones that came out. I'd like to put a 20 ga. slug barrel on it, but not sure if that is possible. I'd also like to put a 17hmr barrel on it. The website generally says shotgun frames can only have shotgun's put on them and rifle frames can have either one. So, do you have any ideas on how to tell if my frame is a rifle or a shotgun frame?

(Northampton County)

st. Mary's -
    I'm sitting here with an NEF sb-1 Shotgun and an older H&R Model 157 Shikari in
    .45-70, and the only differences I can see are:
    the rifle's hammer spur is different - it is more horizontal and almost parallel with the stock, while the shotgun's spur sticks up almost vertically.
    on the rifle the standing breech thickness is about 1/8" from face to hammer walls greater than on the shotgun - all other dimensions are identical.
    Maybe your best bet is to call Marlin and find out what they say. Sorry I can't be anymore helpful.

(Adams County)

Click Here to go to a web forum dedicated mostly to NEF and H&R rifles and shotguns. They have a couple stickies to help identify year and model of receivers using the S/N
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Berks County)

I have a H & R model 401 pump (12 gauge) in my safe for while now, it was given to me....it is missing some internal parts, action is smooth, wood and the bore is great, just unable to find any parts. Would make a nice bird gun I think.

Any ideas? I checked out djturnz link...did a search and came up empty.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northampton County)

Wink Re: H&R Firearms

762xIan,
    The Model 401 was manufactured by NOBEL Firearms Corp. for and distributed by H&R during the period circa 1958 - 1964. My notes indicate that in 12 ga. it is chambered for 2 3/4" shells and should have the "Vari-choke" feature.
    The "best" place that I have found for H&R parts is GPC/Numrich (e-gunparts.com) as they purchased the vast majority of parts left over when H&R, Inc. went into bankruptcy in 1986. I just checked their published parts listings for H&R and they do not list the Model 401. They do list the Model 400, which should be similar. I have a Model 400, but not a 401 to compare with. Your best bet would be to log on to their homepage (e-gunparts.com), look at the block of choices of firearms manufacturers in the center of the page, click onto the H&R employee/parts question forum and ask the host monitor concerning the availability of parts for your model.
    One note of caution, the research notes that I have, indicates that the NOBEL manufactured shotguns showed a considerable amount of variation from batch to batch during the time they were made for H&R and that H&R found both the Models 400, 401 and 402 to be troublesome and very prone to return for repair. This may mean that even if you find the parts you need, they MAY NOT fit properly and probably will require some fitting. Finding a good shotgun gunsmith to aid you may be necessary. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

(Berks County)

Thats the one...it has the vari-choke and 2 3/4" chamber....like I said it is in pretty good shape and I would really like to get it going...I hate wall hangers!

I have done some smithing...built a few rifles from parts kits, fitting parts, etc..I am even set up for parkerizing. If I can get the parts I am sure I can get it to work even if they need some fitting.

From what little I have been able to gather the 400 and 401 are very similar, the 402 is a different animal alltogether with a strange 3 piece receiver.

Numrich is dry on the H&R offerings for 400 and 401 parts, but with your info on Nobel, the shotguns they list and diagrams look almost identical to to the 401 internal design ...I may just gamble on some Nobel parts and see what I come up with....worst case I return the parts and I am back at square one. I also asked the question in the message forum as to parts availability and what Nobel model it was.

Thank you for the feedback and steering me in the right direction....I will update on progress as this pans out.
    Last edited by 762xIan; August 18th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northampton County)

762Ian,
    You're welcome, glad to be of help.
    My Model 400 is a 20 ga. It has a removeable aluminum right side receiver plate (black enameled and non-magnetic). the rest of the receiver is steel (blued and magnetic). I bought it pretty cheap a couple years ago, because it was really gunked up, the elevator was jammed and the barrel had been cut down to 18.5".
    I stuck it in the safe until last week. With a little tinkering I got the elevator unjammed. I took it out to the range on Tuesday for a test firing and damn if it isn't a really fine handling and smooth feeding gun. Brought it home, cleaned it up, including all the old barn type gunk on and in it and polished up the furniture by softening the old varnish and rebuffing it. Now the little gem sparkles, it's not looking new by any stretch, but it surely looks and functions well enough for my purposes.
    For those who would like to see what this model looks like, here's a couple pics: (it's the top gun in the pic.)
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/75...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 19th, 2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: picture added

(Northampton County)

Thumbs up Re: H&R Firearms

Here's a couple more pics of the Model 400 - damn nice shotgun - really smooth action and with the shortened barrel it handles just superbly. It's rapidly becoming my favorite pump for home use.
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/20...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/20...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

(Tioga County)

I have a Model 158 Topper in 20 gauge given to me in 1966 for Christmas. It was my first gun. Still locks up tight although I don't use it anymore other than for a little informal clay bird busting. The barrel has a couple of pits inside from when my father had it and it not getting cleaned as often as needed. I've killed a lot of game with it over the years and will past on down to my kids or grandchildren if I ever have any before I pass away. I can not find any s/n on it anywhere that I've been able to look.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast