Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: H&R Firearms

Hybrid View

(Northampton County)

Default H&R Firearms

Howdy, folks.
    I just signed up and it looks like I'll be staying around for a while.
    I'm a collector and researcher of all types of Harrington & Richardson firearms, ranging from the earliest spur trigger single actions in the mid 1870s, up to and including some of the last pieces they produced before going bankrupt in 1986. I would like to hear about any pieces you may have. I can also help ID and in most cases date those H&R pieces that you either see incorrect, incomplete or absolutely NO information on in the "big" books, guides and modern value estimators. Feel free to ask, if you stump me, we both learn something. Thanks.
    32 Magnum/Jim
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 7th, 2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: redundancy

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R Firearms

I wouldn't call myself a collector of H&R, but I'm a user of H&R firearms. Their(NEF and H&R) present day production is my favorite line of rifles.

I have a few of them. just sold a couple to make it thru some rough times. Only have my Handi 45-70 and customized Ultra Varmint 223.

I used to have an early 12ga, but that too had to be sold years ago.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Yep, the modern single shot rifles are extremely accurate. My two favorites are chambered in .45-70 and .22 Hornet. I've got a bunch of shotguns, only shoot two a 12ga. and a .410 bore - both sb.
    Sorry about your loss. Hang in and God Bless you.

(Jefferson County)

Thank you.

Someday when I get myself out of debt, I plan on picking up some really old Harrington & Richardson items. I have a fancy for them, along with Marlin and Winchester leverguns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

This is all I have to add. It's not much, and they're common, but it's my first gun.
    Christmas present when I was 10 or 11.

FUCK BIDEN

(Pike County)

Howdy, and welcome! I like the old top breaks and solid frames, I have 1 S&W, 1 IJ, 1 Remington, 2 US revolver, and 3 H&R's now, and hope to add more.

(Northampton County)

To: God's Country - thanks for sharing your pics. Looks like you take pretty darn good care of that one!

To: gf45acp,
    If you don't know much about your H&R revolvers and would like some info, I'd be glad to help out. Either describe them in detail and send along a pic or two if you can, including: roll stamp on barrel rib, markings on barrel (either side, specify), serial number (on ALL handguns, if none is visible, it will be found under the left grip panel on the grip frame cross strut), barrel length and caliber. Any info received will add to the body of knowledge concerning H&R Firearms. There isn't much out there in the common realm and much of what is in print is incorrect or incomplete. A colleage and I have been working together for around the past 7 to 8 years on putting together a definitive source for H&R History and model identifications. Any and all information adds to that body of knowledge. Thanks in advance to anybody who can contribute - even if it "only" one, two or three pieces - every bit of evidence adds to the mass of knowledge.

To: Knight- you're welcome! When you start 'picking up' the old H&R's and if you need some help, I'll be here.

I inherited this pistol from my father and would like to learn about it. I can provide a picture but it was too big for here.

Harrington & Richardson .32 five shot Revolver 3.25” Barrel Serial number 413005 nickel plated, top breaking action, double action, spurless hammer, black grips with target logo

Clyde Marshall
    cmarshall@dc.rr.com

(Northampton County)

Clyde,
    Your revolver is a "Police Automatic" Premier, 2nd Model, 4th Variation made between 1915 and 1924 - with that serial number most likely closer to the 1924 date. The "Police" designation refers to the patented, factory "bobbed" hammer - snag proof in the pocket and the "Automatic" designation refers to the automatic ejection of all cartridges/casings when the action is opened.
    Here's a link to a pic of that Model and variation:
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/00...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

This is a link to an earlier Pre-1904 model with the "Police" Safety Hammer:
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/00...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; October 14th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Dear .32 Magnum
    Thanks so much for the great information. Can you recommend a resource that I might use to determine the value of the pistol? I am interested in selling it. Clyde cmarshall@dc.rr.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast